Sept. 20, 2012
SMITHFIELD, R.I. -
The Providence College women's tennis team defeated non-conference foe Bryant University, 6-1, on Wednesday, September 19 in Smithfield, R.I. The Friars gave up only two of the nine matches against the Bulldogs, giving the Friars their first team win of the season.
Senior Marisela Aviles-Duron (Tegucigalpa, Honduras) started the Friars out on a high note when she defeated Claudia Hidalgo (6-4, 6-0) at No. 1 singles. Providence then went on to win the next four matches. The streak started with Junior Maria Clara Bernardez's (Santo Domingo, Dominican Rep.) win over Marcela Brandao (6-4, 6-2) at No. 2 singles. Freshman Alana Prinos (Foxborough, Mass.) and Sophomore Taylor Corder (Corinth, Miss.) defeated their opponents at No. 3 (6-4, 6-1) and No. 4 (6-4, 6-1) singles, respectively. Freshman Hannah Zangari (Saunderstown, R.I.) defeated Bryant's Jovana Hadzi-Tanovic (6-1, 6-2) at No. 5 singles to complete the five match win streak. Sophomore Karen Ramirez (San Juan, P.R.) fell to Lucy Bird at No. 6 singles (6-4, 6-3).
The Friars' accomplishments in singles carried over to the doubles matches where they took two of the three matches. Bernardez and Aviles-Duron took No. 1 doubles with a win over Bird and Smyers (8-4), while Prinos and Corder defeated Hidalgo and Rodriguez Lockwood (8-2) at No. 3 doubles.
The Friars will look to take their success to the Brown Invitational. The event will be played throughout the weekend in Providence, R.I. starting Friday, September 21 at 10:00 a.m. and ending on Sunday, September 23.
Providence College 6 - Bryant University 1
1. Aviles-Duron (PC) vs. Hidalgo (Bryant): 6-4, 6-0 PC
2. Bernardez (PC) vs. Brandao (Bryant): 6-4, 6-2 PC
3. Prinos (PC) vs. Smyers: 6-4, 6-1 PC
4. Corder (PC) vs. Ammendola (Bryant): 6-4, 6-1 PC
5. Zangari (PC) vs. Hadzi-Tanovic (Bryant): 6-1, 6-2 PC
6. Ramirez (PC) vs. L. Bird (Bryant): 6-4, 6-3 Bryant
1. Bernardez/ Aviles-Duron (PC) vs. L. Bird/ Smyers (Bryant): 8-4 PC
2. Zangari/ Ramirez (PC) vs. Brandao/ Ammendola (Bryant): 8-7(8) Bryant
3. Prinos/ Corder (PC) vs. Hidalgo/ Rodriguez (Bryant): 8-2 PC