April 24, 2014
FLUSHING MEADOWS, N.Y. -
The Providence College women's tennis team fell 5-1 to the Villanova Wildcats today (April 24). The Friars entered the match as the eighth-ranked seed, while Villanova was the ninth-seeded team of the tournament. The loss brings the Friars overall record to 5-16 on the season.
Freshmen Jennifer DeLuca (Riverside, Conn.) and Amanda Pitocco (Warwick, R.I.) earned their sixth win in the No. 3 position this season to kick start the match. DeLuca and Pitocco defeated Samantha Schafer and Connor Brewer (8-5) to move their doubles record together to 6-4 in the No. 3 position.
Doubles partners senior Maria Clara Bernardez (Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic) and junior Karen Ramirez (San Juan, Puerto Rico) competed in the No. 1 position, where the duo defeated Mikelle Mancini and Tori Smyth (8-6) for their second doubles win together this season. With the victory, the two clinched the doubles point for Providence.
Sophomore Hannah Zangari (Saunderstown, R.I.) put up a long battle with Linley Busby at the No. 5 singles position before eventually falling (3-6, 6-4, 6-2).
Though the Friars were able to take the doubles point, Providence was not able to rally in singles action to take the match.
#9 Villanova 5, #8 Providence 1
1. Maria Bernardez and Karen Ramirez (PC) def. M. Mancini and T. Smyth (VU), 8-6
2. L. Busby and K. Pettee (VU) leading Alana Prinos and Hannah Zangari (PC), 7-6
3. Jennifer DeLuca and Amanda Pitocco (PC) def. S. Schafer and C. Brewer (VU), 8-5
Order of finish: 3, 1, 2 DNF
1. Mancini (VU) def. Bernardez (PC) 7-5, 6-0
2. Smyth (VU) def. Prinos (PC) 0-6, 6-3, 6-3
3. Schafer (VU) def. DeLuca (PC) 7-6 (4), 6-2
4. Pettee (VU) def. Ramirez (PC) 6-1, 6-4
5. Busby (VU) def. Zangari (PC) 3-6, 6-4, 6-2
6. Olivia Hogan (PC) led Brewer (VU) 7-6 (3), 2-6, 1-0
Order of finish: 1, 4, 3, 5, 2, 6 DNF