April 11, 2010
PROVIDENCE, R.I. -
A decisive match between the Friars' Sophomore Melissa Ferry (Cumberland, R.I.) and the Crusaders' Hailee Lange gave Holy Cross the victory on Saturday, April 10 at the PC tennis courts. With the loss, the Friars are now 5-13 on the year. Holy Cross improves to 6-8.
The Friars started off the match with solid performances in the doubles matches. Junior Ayushi Sinha (Mumbai, India) and Freshman Marisela Aviles-Duron (Tegucigalpa, Honduras) combined to win in the No. 1 slot, 8-6. Ferry and Freshman Brittany Maddock (Marietta, Ga.) closed out the point for the Friars, defeating the Crusader tandem of Emma Rudnik and Ivette Konopka, 8-3.
In singles action the Friars dropped four of the six matches. PC found some solace in wins from Aviles-Duron (6-2, 6-0) and Sinha (6-1, 6-0). The win for Sinha marks her first victory in the No. 2 doubles spot for the spring season.
In their previous meeting on Thursday, September 18, 2009, the Friars defeated Holy Cross, 6-1. The score was not indicative of how close the teams were, as four of the six singles matches went to three sets and one of the doubles matches went to a tiebreak. The Friars are now 4-2 against Holy Cross in their last six meetings since 2006.
The Friars are back in action on Friday, April 16 as they take on BIG EAST foe Pittsburgh. The contest will take place at the PC Tennis Courts and is set to begin at 3:00 p.m. The match will mark the final home meeting of the season for the Friars.
1. Marisela Aviles / Ayushi Sinha (PC) def. Kristen Meahl/Carolyn Chandley (HC)- 8-6
2. Emily Marr/Kathryn Wilkie (HC) def. Melanie Albert / Jen Cuasack (PC)- 8-3
3. Melissa Ferry
/ Brittany Maddock
(PC) def. Emma Rudnik/Ivette Konopka (HC) – 8-3
1. Marisela Aviles-Duron (PC) def. Meahl (HC)- 6-2, 6-0
2. Ayushi Sinha (PC) def. Chandley (HC) - 6-1, 6-0
3. Marr (HC) def. Melanie Albert (PC) - 6-1, 6-0
4. Hailee Lange (HC) def. Melissa Ferry (PC) – 7-6 (7-2), 6-3
5. Konopka (HC) def. Jen Cusack (PC )- 6-3, 6-0
6. Wilkie (HC) def. Brittany Maddock (PC) - 6-4, 6-4