April 9, 2008
The Providence College tennis team snapped a seven game losing streak on Tuesday, April 8 when they traveled to West Hartford, Conn. to take on the University of Hartford. The Friars cruised towards a 7-0 victory over the Hawks.
The match was highlighted by strong doubles play by PC, along with clutch victories in the No. 1 and No. 2 singles spots by freshman Avery Gibson (Fairfield, Iowa) and junior Ashley Rissolo (Southport, Conn.). Gibson's victory in the No. 1 position over Hartford's Raquel Casino (5-7, 6-4, 10-6) marked an important victory for the freshman, as Casino had defeated Gibson in the New England Championships just a few months prior. Rissolo won in the No. 2 spot, 6-3, 6-0.
The Friars return to action on Saturday, April 12 when they travel to Queens, N.Y. to take on Manhattan College at the Alley Pond Racquet Club. The match is set for a 2:00 p.m. start.
1. Gibson def. Casino: 5-7, 6-4, 10-6
2. Rissolo def. Michaels: 6-3, 6-0
3. Hawkins-Hodgson def. Haynal: 7-5, 6-2
4. Cusack def. Dorfman: 6-2, 6-0
5. Sinha def. Ruggles: 6-0, 6-0
6. Lyons def. Tafur: 6-0, 6-0
1. Hawkins-Hodgson/Gibson def. Casino/Michaels: 8-4
2. Cusack/Gilroy def. Dorfman/Haynal: 8-2
3. Sinha/Betzner def. Ruggles/Tafur: 8-0