April 5, 2014
VILLANOVA, Pa. -
The Providence College women's tennis team defeated the Villanova Wildcats, 6-1, today (April 5) in Villanova, Pa. at the Villanova Tennis Complex. The Friars swept play in doubles action to help take the win.
Senior Maria Clara Bernardez (Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic) along with doubles partner junior Karen Ramirez (San Juan, Puerto Rico) defeated Mikelle Mancini and Tori Smyth in the No. 1 doubles position (9-7(5)).
Sophomores Alana Prinos (Foxborough, Mass.) and Hannah Zangari (Saunderstown, R.I.) toppled Connor Brewer and Linley Busby (8-2) at the No. 2 position. Freshmen Jennifer DeLuca (Riverside, Conn.) and Amanda Pitocco (Warwick, R.I.) finished the clean sweep of doubles play with a win over Kate Pettee and Samantha Schafer (8-6) at the No. 3 position.
In singles play, Prinos took the win at the No. 2 position over Tori Smyth (7-6(3), 6-4). DeLuca went three sets with Schafer in the No. 3 position, where DeLuca came out on top for the point (6-2, 4-6, 6-1).
Ramirez and Zangari each handily defeated their opponents in singles play. In the No. 4 position, Ramirez defeated Busby (6-0, 6-3), while Zangari bested Brewer (6-3, 6-1) at the No. 5 position.
After dropping her first set, Pitocco captured a hard fought win over Pettee at the No. 6 position (4-6, 6-4, 12-10).
The Friars return to action tomorrow (April 6), when they take on Temple at 10:00 a.m.
Complete Results Against Villanova
Providence 6, Villanova 1
1. M.Bernardez/K.Ramirez(PC) def. M.Mancini/T.Smyth 9-7(5)
2. A.Prinos/H.Zangari(PC) def. L.Busby/C.Brewer 8-2
3. J.Deluca/A.Pitocco(PC) def. S.Schafer/K.Pettee 8-6
1. M.Mancini def. Maria Clara Bernardez(PC) 6-4, 6-4
2. Alana Prinos(PC) def. T.Smyth 7-6(3), 6-4
3. Jennifer DeLuca(PC) def. S.Schafer 6-2, 4-6, 6-1
4. Karen Ramirez(PC) def. L.Busby 6-0, 6-3
5. Hannah Zangari(PC) def. C.Brewer 6-3, 6-1
6. Amanda Pitocco(PC) def. K.Pettee 4-6, 6-4, 12-10