April 3, 2014
PROVIDENCE, R.I. -
The Providence College women's tennis team was defeated by the University at Albany, 3-2, yesterday (April 2). The Friars and Great Danes played a condensed match (five points, instead of seven). Providence now holds an overall record of 4-10 on the season.
The Friars earned points in singles play from senior Maria Clara Bernardez (Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic) and sophomore Alana Prinos (Foxborough, Mass.).
Bernardez rallied to defeat Albany's Cheryl Kukkonen after dropping the first set (3-6, 6-4, 10-3) at the No. 1 singles position. The win marked her second at the No. 1 position of the spring season (2-8).
Prinos captured the Friars' second point with a come-from-behind victory over Kristen Scott at the No. 2 singles position. Prinos dropped a close first set but bounced back to take the point (6-7, 6-3, 10-7).
The Friars are back in action with a match against BIG EAST foe Villanova on April 5 in Philadelphia, Pa. The match is set to begin at 11:00 a.m.
Complete Results Against Albany
Albany 3, Providence 2
1. M. Hermans/C. Crummey (UA) def. Olivia Hogan/Hannah Zangari (PC) 6-4, 6-4
1. Maria Clara Bernardez (PC) def. C. Kukkonen (UA) 3-6, 6-4, 10-3
2. Alana Prinos (PC) def. K. Scott (UA) 6-7(6), 6-3, 10-7
3. P. Torres (UA) def. Jennifer DeLuca (PC) 6-2, 6-3
4. A. Sala (UA) def. Karen Ramirez (PC) 6-4, 6-4