March 30, 2014
HARRISON, N.Y. -
The Providence College women's tennis team fell, 6-1, to St. John's on March 29 at the Lifetime Fitness Center in Harrison, N.Y. The Friars are now 0-3 against BIG EAST opponents and 4-10 overall.
Freshman Amanda Pitocco (Warwick, R.I.) earned the Friars' lone point with a clean sweep over Rachel Hoffman at the No. 6 singles position (6-0, 6-0). With the win, Pitocco remains undefeated at the No. 6 position this season (3-0).
Classmate Jennifer DeLuca (Riverside, Conn.) did not go down without a fight in the No. 3 singles position. DeLuca was defeated by Yanita Arnaudova after taking the first set (5-7, 6-4, 10-6).
Providence returns to action with an afternoon match-up against Albany on April 2 at 3:00 p.m.
Complete match results against St. John's
St. John's 6, Providence 1
1. Morozova/Arnaudova (SJU) def. Bernardez/Hogan (PC) 8-2
2. Adams/Polyakova (SJU) def. Prinos/Zangari (PC) 8-3
3. Elgegren/Hoffman (SJU) vs. DeLuca/Pitocco (PC) 3-5 DNF
1. Nastya Polyakova (SJU) def. Maria Clara Bernardez (PC) 6-0, 6-1
2. Anna Morozova (SJU) def. Alana Prinos (PC) 6-2, 6-1
3. Yanita Arnaudova (SJU) def. Jennifer DeLuca (PC) 5-7, 6-4, 10-6
4. Diamond Adams (SJU) def. Olivia Hogan (PC) 6-0, 6-0
5. Stephanie Elgegren (SJU) def. Hannah Zangari (PC) 6-2, 6-1
6. Amanda Pitocco (PC) def. Rachel Hoffman (SJU) 6-0, 6-0