PROVIDENCE, R.I. – The Providence College Softball team played a doubleheader against the Creighton Bluejays as part of a weekend series. The Friars won both games on the first day of the series. Providence improved to 19-23 (7-10) while Creighton dropped to 18-28 (8-9).
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Providence scored in the 3rd inning when Julianne Rurka (Warrenville, Ill.) drew a walk with the bases loaded.
- In the bottom of the 5th inning, Nicole Lundstrom (Rehoboth, Mass.) hit a solo home run to put Providence up, 2-1. The home run was her ninth of the year and 23rd in her career. Lundstrom is now tied for third most home runs in Providence history.
- Megan McCune (Orange, Calif.) pitched a complete game for Providence. McCune struck out three in seven innings to improve her record to 3-5 on the season.
- Julianne Rurka began the game by driving in Brittney Veler (Santa Rosa, Calif.) with a double in the bottom of the 1st
- Emma Lee (Orange, CAlif.) drove in Paige Mulry (West Roxbury, Mass.) with an RBI single in the bottom of the 2nd
- Providence scored three times in the bottom of the 4th Veler reached on a fielder’s choice as Izzy Mendez (Cedar Grove, N.J.) scored at home. Rurka then drew a walk to force in Lee. Vanessa Portillo (Chatsworth, Calif.) hit a sacrifice fly to drive in Lundstrom. Friars up 5-0 heading into the top of the 5th.
- Creighton scored all three runs in the top of the 5th
- The Friars scored 6 runs in the bottom of the 5th inning to win based on the run rule. Mulry began the inning with a single. Nadia Kemp (Wappinger’s Falls, N.Y.) followed this up by hitting her second home run of the year. Compton then drew a walk, Lee singled and Lundstrom drew a walk to load the bases for Veler. Veler walked to drive in Compton. Rurka reached on a fielder’s choice when the centerfielder threw Veler out at second. Lee scored on the play, however, to put Providence up 9-3. After Annie Flego (Little Silver, N.J.) entered the game to pinch run for Rurka, Portillo grounded out to first base. Flego advanced on the play to put runners on second and third for McCune. McCune proceeded to hit a walk off single as both Lundstrom and Flego scored.
- Christina Ramirez (Niceville, Fla.) pitched 4.1 innings in the win for Providence. Ramirez struck out five while allowing only two earned runs to improve her record to 12-13.
Providence will finish its series against Creighton on Sunday, April 30 at 11:00 a.m. The final game of the series will also serve as Providence’s Senior Game.
Official StoreOfficial Online
Softball Drops Doubleheader ...
PROVIDENCE, R.I. – The Providence College softball team played a doubleheader against the DePaul Blue Demons on Saturday, May 5. The Friars dropped the...
Softball Set For Senior Weekend
PROVIDENCE, R.I. – The Providence College softball team will host a three-game weekend series against the DePaul Blue Demons on May 5-6. The Friars...
Providence Softball Tops CCSU
PROVIDENCE, R.I. – The Providence College softball team played a single game against the Central Connecticut Blue Devils on Tuesday, May 1. Providence ...
Providence To Host CCSU For ...
PROVIDENCE, R.I. – The Providence College softball team hosts the Central Connecticut State University Blue Devils for its final non-conference game of...
PROVIDENCE, R.I. – The Providence College softball team announced today (April 30) that its game against the DePaul Blue Demons, scheduled for Sunday, ...
Providence Softball Downed...
PROVIDENCE, R.I. – The Providence College softball team played the final game of its three-game series against the St. John’s Red Storm on Sunday...
Softball Pushes Back Start...
PROVIDENCE, R.I. - The Providence College softball team announced that the start time for its game against St. John's has been pushed back to start at 2:00 p...
Providence Softball Splits...
PROVIDENCE, R.I. – The Providence softball team played a doubleheader against the St. John’s Red Storm on Saturday, April 28. The Friars took...