SMITHFIELD, R.I. – The Providence College softball team played a doubleheader against Bryant University on Wednesday, April 11. Providence won both games to improve its season record to 9-21.
GAME ONE HIGHLIGHTS:
- The Friars won game one with a score of 10-4.
- Providence scored first when Brittney Veler (Santa Rosa, Calif.) and Vanessa Portillo (Chatsworth, Calif.) hit back to back doubles in the second inning to make the score 1-0.
- The Friars extended their lead with a five-run inning in the top of third inning. Emma Lee (Orange, Calif.) started the rally with an RBI single that brought in Mackensie Compton (Langhorne, Pa.) from second base. Paige Mulry (West Roxbury, Mass.) continued the scoring by hitting an RBI single that drove in Lee to make the score 3-0.
- Veler and Portillo then hit back to back homeruns to make the score 6-0, as Veler’s was a two-run shot that drove in Mulry.
- The Bulldogs responded in the bottom of the third by scoring three runs to make the score 6-3.
- The Friars added another run in the top of the fifth inning when Annie Flego (Little Silver, N.J.) hit a single up the right field line to drive in Crista San Antonio (East Meadow, N.Y.) and make the score 7-3.
- Providence extended their lead in the top of the sixth inning when Mulry hit a single that drove in both Alison Abbatiello (North Salem, N.Y.) and Lee.
- Molly McGarry (Edina, Minn.) recorded her first RBI in the top of the sixth when she drew a walk with the bases loaded that drove in Mulry from third and made the score 10-3.
- Bryant would score one run in the bottom of the sixth to make the score 10-4 but would not be able to close the gap any further.
- Christina Ramirez (Niceville, Fla.) pitched five innings for Providence, allowing four runs while striking out four batters. She was credited with the win and improved to 5-8 on the season.
- Olivia Sprofera (Mahwah, N.J.) pitched two innings to end the game for the Friars. She allowed no hits and no runs in her stint on the mound.
- Providence racked up a season high 18 hits on the day as three different players tallied three hit performances and four other batters recorded two hits.
GAME TWO HIGHLIGHTS:
- Providence held on to win the second game 4-3 before the game was called due to darkness after five innings.
- Bryant held the early lead in game two as they scored once in the second and twice in the third to go up 3-0 on the Friars.
- Providence scored all four of its runs in the top of the fourth inning.
- Veler started the scoring with a two-run homerun to cut the lead in half.
- Portillo then scored the third run of the inning on a fielder’s choice hit by Flego.
- Compton drove in the go ahead run with a single that brought in Abbatiello.
- Miranda Trinidad (La Habra, Calif.) pitched five innings for Providence allowing three runs while striking out four. She was credited with the win and improved her season record to 3-8.
The Friars host a three-game series against the Villanova Wildcats on April 13-14. Providence will play a single game against the Wildcats on Friday, April 13 at 3:30 p.m. and will then finish the series with a doubleheader on Saturday, April 14 with games set to be played at 12:00 p.m. and 2:00 p.m.
Official StoreOfficial Online
Softball Drops Doubleheader ...
PROVIDENCE, R.I. – The Providence College softball team played a doubleheader against the DePaul Blue Demons on Saturday, May 5. The Friars dropped the...
Softball Set For Senior Weekend
PROVIDENCE, R.I. – The Providence College softball team will host a three-game weekend series against the DePaul Blue Demons on May 5-6. The Friars...
Providence Softball Tops CCSU
PROVIDENCE, R.I. – The Providence College softball team played a single game against the Central Connecticut Blue Devils on Tuesday, May 1. Providence ...
Providence To Host CCSU For ...
PROVIDENCE, R.I. – The Providence College softball team hosts the Central Connecticut State University Blue Devils for its final non-conference game of...
PROVIDENCE, R.I. – The Providence College softball team announced today (April 30) that its game against the DePaul Blue Demons, scheduled for Sunday, ...
Providence Softball Downed...
PROVIDENCE, R.I. – The Providence College softball team played the final game of its three-game series against the St. John’s Red Storm on Sunday...
Softball Pushes Back Start...
PROVIDENCE, R.I. - The Providence College softball team announced that the start time for its game against St. John's has been pushed back to start at 2:00 p...
Providence Softball Splits...
PROVIDENCE, R.I. – The Providence softball team played a doubleheader against the St. John’s Red Storm on Saturday, April 28. The Friars took...