Box Score vs. DePaul
PROVIDENCE, R.I. - Providence College went 4-for-4 in penalty kicks, capped off by Hannah McNulty’s deciding goal to help the Friars top DePaul in BIG EAST Quarterfinal action on Oct. 29. After regulation and two scoreless overtimes, Providence and DePaul were deadlocked in a 1-1 tie. The Friars advanced to the BIG EAST Semifinals on penalty kicks, where they will face No. 2 seed Butler on Nov. 2.
This is the second time in the last three seasons that the Friars have advanced to the BIG EAST semifinals.
DePaul - 1 | Providence – 1 (PK)
Providence – 10-7-2 (5-3-1 BIG EAST) | DePaul 7-7-5 (3-2-4 BIG EAST)
Chapey Field at Anderson Stadium | Providence, R.I.
GAME FLOW & NOTES
- Scoring chances were few and far between in the opening, with only seven shots combined between the two teams.
- DePaul’s best opportunity to strike came in the 9th minute when Alexa Ben sent on a beautiful ball from the right wing only for it go just wide to the left.
- The Friars’ had a chance of their own in the 28th minute when Kayla Steeves (Needham, Mass.) found herself all alone and rifled one only for it to go wide right.
- Blue Demons’ goaltender Lauren Frasca finished the half with two saves while Friars’ keeper Shelby Hogan (Franklin, Mass.) had one of her own.
- The second half was the polar opposite of the first half with both sides finding themselves with a flurry of chances.
-.Hailee Duserick delivered a beautiful crosser to Hannah McNulty whose header right in front went just wide to the right to keep the match scoreless.
- DePaul All-American Alex Ben had a chance to put the Blue Demons in front twice between the 76th and 74th minute but both of her shots went just above the cross bar to keel the Blue Demons off the board.
- Providence broke through in the 78th minute. Freshman Amber Birchwell slithered through the DePaul defense and served it over to McNulty (Warwick, R.I.) who beat Fresca to give the Friars’ a 1-0 lead. The goal was McNulty’s third of the season.
- With less than a minute to go the Blue Demons came back to life. Off a free kick, junior Madeline Frick scored from 20 yards out to even the match up at one and send it to overtime.
- The best opportunity for either side in the two ten minute overtime frames came with 6:52 left in the first overtime when Providence’s Casey Estey let one loose only for Frasca to make a sliding save to her right.
- Shelby Hogan came through with a save in the second overtime period to send the match to penalty kicks.
- Providence scored on their first two tries of penalty kicks with junior Katie Day (East Kingston, N.H.) and Steeves both converting.
- DePaul got on the board in the third round of penalty kicks with Frick getting one across.
- The Friars’ however responded immediately with Christina Rodgers (Scotch Plains, N.J.) scoring before McNulty’s shot dribbled across the goal line to give Providence a 2-1 win in penalty kicks.
HOW THEY SCORED
(89:07) – Madeline Frick scored off a free kick from 20 yards out.
HOW WE SCORED
(77:12) – Amber Birchwell fed one across to Hannah McNulty who finished in front.
Shelby Hogan (10-7-2)
Lauren Frasca (7-7-5)
Shots on Goal: 8
Corner Kicks: 8
Shots On Goal: 11
Corner Kicks: 9
The Friars advance to take on Butler in the BIG EAST Semifinals on Thursday,
November 2nd, at 7pm.
Official StoreOfficial Online
Women’s Soccer Seniors...
The New England Women’s Intercollegiate Soccer Association (NEWISA) announced the 2017 senior student-athletes invited to the NEWISA Senior Bowl on...
Women’s Soccer Goalie...
Providence College women’s soccer goalkeeper Shelby Hogan (Franklin, Mass.) was called up to the U.S. Soccer’s Under-20 Women’s National...
Women’s Soccer Kristin...
The 2017 College Sports Information Directors of America (CoSIDA) Academic All-District Men’s and Women’s Soccer Teams were announced on Thursday...
Women’s Soccer Earns...
The BIG EAST Conference announced today (Nov. 5) the 2017 BIG EAST All-Tournament team at the conclusion of the BIG EAST Championship game between Georgetown...
Women's Soccer Falls To...
The Providence College women’s soccer team was defeated in the BIG EAST Semifinal round by Butler on Thursday, Nov. 2 in Indianapolis, Ind. (3-0).
Women's Soccer Travels To...
2017 BIG EAST TOURNAMENT FIELD... BIG EAST Tournament action kicked off on Sunday, Oct. 29 with four opponents clashing at first round host sites. Providence...
Women's Soccer Tops DePaul...
Providence College went 4-for-4 in penalty kicks, capped off by Hannah McNulty’s game winning goal to give the Friars a 2-1 victory over DePaul in the ...
Women's Soccer Nabs All-BIG ...
With the 2017 BIG EAST Women's Soccer Championship, presented by Jeep, beginning tomorrow [Oct. 29], the conference announced its annual post-season awards...