PROVIDENCE, R.I. -- After trailing 1-0 at the half, the Friars mounted a second half comeback as Madison Doherty's (Peabody, Mass.) equalizer followed up by Casey Estey's (Kensington, N.H.) header led Providence to a 2-1 come-from behind victory over St. John's on Thursday night at Chapey Field.
Tonight's game will air via tape delay tomorrow (Oct. 6) at 10 p.m. on Cox YurView.
St. John's - 1 | Providence - 2
Providence -- 7-6-0 (2-2-0 BIG EAST) | St. John's 5-7-1 (1-3-0 BIG EAST)
Chapey Field at Anderson Stadium | Providence, R.I.
GAME FLOW & NOTES
- Providence had an opportunity to take a 1-0 lead 16 minutes into the opening half when Camille Murphy (Seattle, Wash.) fired a shot from 20 yards out. However, St. John's goalkeeper Jordan Kamp deflected it away to keep the score knotted at 0-0.
- St. John's got on the board in the 23rd minute when Mariela Jacome knocked in a header off a cross from Christina Bellero.
- In the 39th minute the Friars had a chance at the equalizer, but Hannah McNulty's (Warwick, R.I.) header was blocked on the doorstep to give the Red Storm a 1-0 lead at the half.
- The Friars evened the score in the 58th minute as senior Madison Doherty headed in a corner courtesy of Kayla Steeves (Needham, Mass.) for her first goal of the season.
- Providence seized on the momentum provided by Doherty's goal and went in front for the first time on the night in the 71st minute. Alessandra Arace set up junior Casey Estey who headed in her second goal of the season to give Providence a 2-1 lead.
- Shelby Hogan (Franklin, Mass.) turned away all potential opportunities for the Red Storm. The Friars' red-shirt freshman goalkeeper came up with four saves in the second half including two in the final 18 minutes to preserve Providence's 2-1 advantage.
HOW THEY SCORED
(22:04) -- Mariela Jacome scored on a header off a cross from Christina Bellero
HOW WE SCORED
(57:13) -- Madison Doherty scored via a header off a corner kick from Kayla Steeves.
(70:44) -- Alessandra Arace (Pittsfield, Mass.) served one across to Casey Estey who knocked in a header.
Shelby Hogan (7-6-0, 2-2-0 BIG EAST)
Jordan Kamp (4-4-1, 1-3-0 BIG EAST)
Shot on Goal: 4
Corner Kicks: 7
Shots On Goal: 6
Corner Kicks: 6
The Friars take a trip to Marquette where they will take on the Golden Eagles Sunday, Oct. 8 at 2pm.
Follow the women's soccer team on Twitter @PC_WomensSoccer
Official StoreOfficial Online
Women's Soccer To Hold...
The Providence College women’s soccer coaching staff will hold their annual boys and girls Futsal Festival for the fifth-consecutive year on Saturday, ...
Women’s Soccer Players...
United Soccer Coaches announced its regional teams today (Nov. 29). Among the honorees of the Division I Women’s All-Midwest Team, junior Katie Day (Ea...
Women’s Soccer Seniors...
The New England Women’s Intercollegiate Soccer Association (NEWISA) announced the 2017 senior student-athletes invited to the NEWISA Senior Bowl on...
Women’s Soccer Goalie...
Providence College women’s soccer goalkeeper Shelby Hogan (Franklin, Mass.) was called up to the U.S. Soccer’s Under-20 Women’s National...
Women’s Soccer Kristin...
The 2017 College Sports Information Directors of America (CoSIDA) Academic All-District Men’s and Women’s Soccer Teams were announced on Thursday...
Women’s Soccer Earns...
The BIG EAST Conference announced today (Nov. 5) the 2017 BIG EAST All-Tournament team at the conclusion of the BIG EAST Championship game between Georgetown...
Women's Soccer Falls To...
The Providence College women’s soccer team was defeated in the BIG EAST Semifinal round by Butler on Thursday, Nov. 2 in Indianapolis, Ind. (3-0).
Women's Soccer Travels To...
2017 BIG EAST TOURNAMENT FIELD... BIG EAST Tournament action kicked off on Sunday, Oct. 29 with four opponents clashing at first round host sites. Providence...