PROVIDENCE, R.I. – The No. 8/10 Providence College women’s hockey team held off a late Boston University rally to capture a 6-5 win at Schneider Arena on Saturday afternoon.
No. 8/10 Providence – 6 | Boston University – 5
Providence: 11-5-4 (8-1-2 HE) | Boston University: 7-9-3 (3-7-3 WHEA)
Schneider Arena – Providence, R.I.
GAME FLOW & NOTES
- The Friars came out of the gate strong in the opening 20 minutes, out-shooting the Terriers by a 14-5 margin.
- Meaghan Rickard got things started just 1:13 in with her fourth goal of the season on a quick shot from the goal line that snuck through the pads of Schroeder.
- Victoria Bach countered for the Terriers with a pair of goals in the second period to make it a 3-2 Friars lead through 40 minutes.
- Rickard notched her second of the night in the third to put the Friars up 4-2, but BU’s Nara Elia brought the visitors back within one just 1:05 later.
- Parent and Maureen Murphy cashed in with goals to give Providence a three-goal cushion with just under five minutes to play.
- The Terriers scored twice on the power play with a 6-on-4 advantage in the final minutes to cut the deficit to 6-5, but Madison Myers held strong in the final moments to secure the win for Providence.
- The Friars’ streak of 27-consecutive penalty kills was snapped this afternoon on Victoria Bach’s goal for BU in the second period.
HOW THEY SCORED
1-0 (Providence) – 1:13/1st – EV – Meaghan Rickard (Parent, Fransoo) – Shot from a bad angle that broke through the pads of Schroeder.
2-0 (Providence) – 12:14/1st – PP – Avery Fransoo (Rickard, Murphy) – Wrist shot from the point through traffic.
3-0 (Providence) – 14:34/1st – PP – Blair Parent (Boquist, Gonsalves) – Rebound off a Boquist shot.
3-1 (BU) – 11:04/2nd – PP – Victoria Bach (Leslie, Cook) – Backhand shot from the slot.
3-2 (BU) – 17:29/2nd – SH – Victoria Bach (Leslie) – Forehand deke on a 2-on-1.
4-2 (Providence) – 10:11/3rd – SH – Meaghan Rickard (Boquist) – Wrist shot from the top of the circles.
4-3 (BU) – 11:16/3rd – EV – Nara Elia (Bach, Leslie) – One-timer at the top of the crease.
5-3 (Providence) – 13:10 – EV – Blair Parent (MacPherson) – Wrist shot while streaking down the off-wing.
6-3 (Providence) – 15:14 – EV – Maureen Murphy – Wrist shot from the right circle under the glove of O’Neil.
6-4 (BU) – 18:26/3rd – PP EX – Kristina Schuler (Cook, Compher) – Tip-in at the top of the crease
6-5 (BU) – 18:58/3rd – PP EX – Abbey Stanley (Elia) – Putback of a loose puck in the crease.
Providence: Madison Myers, 10-4-4: 19 saves, 5 goals against.
Boston University: Corinne Schroeder, 7-2-2; 11 saves, 3 goals against | Erin O’Neil, 17 saves 3 goal against.
Face-off percentage: 40.0% (30/55)
Power plays: 2-4 (55%)
Penalty kill: 3-6 (50%)
Face-off percentage: 45.0% (55/505)
Power plays: 3-6 (50%)
Penalty kill: 2-4 (50%)
PC GAME HIGHS
Shots: Maureen Murphy (9)
Assists: Brooke Boquist (2)
The Friars return to action following the break on Jan. 2. Providence takes on Brown in a fight for the Mayor’s Cup at 2:00 p.m. at Schneider Arena.
For more updates on the Providence women’s hockey program, follow the team on Twitter @PCWHockey.
- GO FRIARS -
Official StoreOfficial Online
Murphy, Friesen and Deraney ...
BOSTON, Mass. – Maureen Murphy (Buffalo, N.Y.), Kate Friesen (Altona, Manitoba) and head coach Bob Deraney were recognized at the annual Hockey East...
Maureen Murphy Collects...
PROVIDENCE, R.I. – Maureen Murphy (Buffalo, N.Y.) of the Providence College women’s ice hockey team was unanimously selected to the Hockey East...
Women's Hockey Falls in Game...
The Providence College women's hockey team fell to the University of Connecticut in heartbreaking fashion on Sunday, Feb. 25 in the Hockey East Quarterfinal ...
Women's Hockey Blanked by UConn
The Providence College women's hockey team fell to the University of Connecticut by a score of 3-0 in the second game of the Hockey East Quarterfinals on Feb...
Women's Hockey Downs UConn...
The Providence College women's hockey team defeated the University of Connecticut in Hockey East Quarterfinal action on Friday night (Feb. 23). The Friars...
Women's Hockey Game Notes vs...
The second-seeded Friars host the seventh-seeded UConn Huskies in the Hockey East Quarterfinals. Games are set for Friday, Feb. 23 (7:00 p.m.), Saturday, Feb...
Women’s Hockey East...
The Providence College women’s hockey team is set to host the UConn Huskies in a Hockey East Quarterfinal series from Feb. 23-25. Games are slated for ...
Madison Myers Named Hockey...
Madison Myers (Colchester, Vt.) was named the Hockey East Co-Defensive Player of the Week on Monday, Feb. 19.