PROVIDENCE, R.I. – The No. 8/10 Providence College women’s hockey team held off a late Boston University rally to capture a 6-5 win at Schneider Arena on Saturday afternoon.
No. 8/10 Providence – 6 | Boston University – 5
Providence: 11-5-4 (8-1-2 HE) | Boston University: 7-9-3 (3-7-3 WHEA)
Schneider Arena – Providence, R.I.
GAME FLOW & NOTES
- The Friars came out of the gate strong in the opening 20 minutes, out-shooting the Terriers by a 14-5 margin.
- Meaghan Rickard got things started just 1:13 in with her fourth goal of the season on a quick shot from the goal line that snuck through the pads of Schroeder.
- Victoria Bach countered for the Terriers with a pair of goals in the second period to make it a 3-2 Friars lead through 40 minutes.
- Rickard notched her second of the night in the third to put the Friars up 4-2, but BU’s Nara Elia brought the visitors back within one just 1:05 later.
- Parent and Maureen Murphy cashed in with goals to give Providence a three-goal cushion with just under five minutes to play.
- The Terriers scored twice on the power play with a 6-on-4 advantage in the final minutes to cut the deficit to 6-5, but Madison Myers held strong in the final moments to secure the win for Providence.
- The Friars’ streak of 27-consecutive penalty kills was snapped this afternoon on Victoria Bach’s goal for BU in the second period.
HOW THEY SCORED
1-0 (Providence) – 1:13/1st – EV – Meaghan Rickard (Parent, Fransoo) – Shot from a bad angle that broke through the pads of Schroeder.
2-0 (Providence) – 12:14/1st – PP – Avery Fransoo (Rickard, Murphy) – Wrist shot from the point through traffic.
3-0 (Providence) – 14:34/1st – PP – Blair Parent (Boquist, Gonsalves) – Rebound off a Boquist shot.
3-1 (BU) – 11:04/2nd – PP – Victoria Bach (Leslie, Cook) – Backhand shot from the slot.
3-2 (BU) – 17:29/2nd – SH – Victoria Bach (Leslie) – Forehand deke on a 2-on-1.
4-2 (Providence) – 10:11/3rd – SH – Meaghan Rickard (Boquist) – Wrist shot from the top of the circles.
4-3 (BU) – 11:16/3rd – EV – Nara Elia (Bach, Leslie) – One-timer at the top of the crease.
5-3 (Providence) – 13:10 – EV – Blair Parent (MacPherson) – Wrist shot while streaking down the off-wing.
6-3 (Providence) – 15:14 – EV – Maureen Murphy – Wrist shot from the right circle under the glove of O’Neil.
6-4 (BU) – 18:26/3rd – PP EX – Kristina Schuler (Cook, Compher) – Tip-in at the top of the crease
6-5 (BU) – 18:58/3rd – PP EX – Abbey Stanley (Elia) – Putback of a loose puck in the crease.
Providence: Madison Myers, 10-4-4: 19 saves, 5 goals against.
Boston University: Corinne Schroeder, 7-2-2; 11 saves, 3 goals against | Erin O’Neil, 17 saves 3 goal against.
Face-off percentage: 40.0% (30/55)
Power plays: 2-4 (55%)
Penalty kill: 3-6 (50%)
Face-off percentage: 45.0% (55/505)
Power plays: 3-6 (50%)
Penalty kill: 2-4 (50%)
PC GAME HIGHS
Shots: Maureen Murphy (9)
Assists: Brooke Boquist (2)
The Friars return to action following the break on Jan. 2. Providence takes on Brown in a fight for the Mayor’s Cup at 2:00 p.m. at Schneider Arena.
For more updates on the Providence women’s hockey program, follow the team on Twitter @PCWHockey.
- GO FRIARS -
Official StoreOfficial Online
#7 Women’s Hockey...
The No. 7 Providence College women’s hockey team avenged last night’s loss with a 6-3 victory over Boston University at Schneider Arena on Jan....
#7 Women’s Hockey...
The No. 7 Providence College women’s hockey team fell to Boston University by a score of 5-1 at Walter Brown Arena on Jan. 12.
#7 Women's Hockey Game Notes...
The Friars are set to face Boston University in a home-and-home series this weekend. The teams clash on Friday, Jan. 12 at 7:00 p.m. at Walter Brown Arena...
Women's Hockey Announces...
The Providence College and University of New Hampshire women’s hockey programs are excited to announce an alumni-giving challenge to benefit the...
#8/9 Women’s Hockey...
The No. 8/9 Providence College women’s hockey team skated to a 1-1 tie at the University of Vermont on Jan. 7.
#8/9 Women’s Hockey...
Brooke Boquist (Thunder Bay, Ontario) and Meaghan Rickard (Coventry, R.I.) led the no. 8/9 Providence College women’s hockey team to a 4-1 victory at...
Women’s Hockey Jan. 13...
It was announced on Friday (Jan. 5) that the Providence College women’s hockey team’s game against Boston University on Jan. 13 will now start at...
#8/9 Women's Hockey Game...
The Friars are set to resume Hockey East play with a weekend series at the University of Vermont. Puck drop is set for 4:00 p.m. on Saturday, Jan. 6 and 2:00...