STORRS, Conn. – The No. 10 Providence College women’s hockey team played to a 2-2 tie with the University of Connecticut on Dec. 1 at Freitas Ice Forum.
No. 10 Providence – 2 | UConn – 2
Providence: 9-5-4 (6-1-2 HE) | UCONN: 4-5-7 (0-4-4 HE)
Freitas Ice Forum – Storrs, Conn.
GAME FLOW & NOTES
- Sophomore Briana Colangelo put the Huskies ahead 1-0 just 2:30 into the contest. She received a cross-ice pass from Natalie Snodgrass, shifted to the backhand and roofed a shot from right in front.
- The Huskies killed off both of Providence’s first-period power plays, while the Friars killed off their lone penalty to close out the period.
- Brooke Boquist (Thunder Bay, Ontario) tied the game 1:44 into the second period. Whitney Dove (Port Moody, British Columbia) kept the puck in at the blue line and played it to Boquist who sniped from in front for her eighth strike of the year.
- Boquist tallied her second of the period at the 16:21 mark. Meaghan Rickard (Coventry, R.I.) and Rachel Rockwell (Broadview Heights, Ohio) picked up assists on the play. Blair Parent’s (Blaine, Minn.) excellent screen in front helped Boquist’s wrist shot find the back of the net.
- With 8:33 to play in regulation, UConn’s Jaime Fox tied the game at 2-2. Her slap shot from the slot was assisted by Catherine Crawley.
- Madison Myers (Colchester, Vt.) finished the day with 22 saves, including 15 in the third period.
- The Friars killed off one power play today, pushing Providence to 23-for-23 on the penalty kill in the last six games.
- The tie was the Huskies’ seventh of the season, and fourth in Hockey East play.
HOW THEY SCORED
1-0 (UConn) – 2:30/1st – EV – Briana Colangelo, assisted by Natalie Snodgrass – Backhand from right on the doorstep
1-1 (Providence) – 1:44/2nd – EV – Brooke Boquist, assisted by Whitney Dove – Kept in at the point by Dove, passed to Boquist in front for the goal
2-1 (Providence) – 16:21/2nd – EV – Brooke Boquist, assisted by Meaghan Rickard and Rachel Rockwell – Wrist shot from the high slot
2-2 (UConn) – 11:27/3rd – EV – Jaime Fox, assisted by Catherine Crawley – Slap shot from the slot
Providence: Madison Myers, 8-4-4: 22 saves, 2 goals against
UConn: Morgan Fisher, 1-1-3: 25 saves, 2 goals against
Face-off percentage: 51.8% (29/56)
Power plays: 0-3 (0%)
Penalty kill: 1-1 (100%)
Face-off percentage: 48.2% (27/56)
Power plays: 0-1 (0%)
Penalty kill: 3-3 (100%)
PC GAME HIGHS
Shots: Brooke Boquist (9)
Goals: Brooke Boquist (1)
Assists: Whitney Dove, Meaghan Rickard, Rachel Rockwell (1)
Points: Brooke Boquist (2)
The Friars continue the series with UConn tomorrow night (Dec. 2) at Schneider Arena at 7:00 p.m.
For more updates on the Providence women’s hockey program, follow the team on Twitter @PCWHockey.
- GO FRIARS -
Official StoreOfficial Online
Murphy, Friesen and Deraney ...
BOSTON, Mass. – Maureen Murphy (Buffalo, N.Y.), Kate Friesen (Altona, Manitoba) and head coach Bob Deraney were recognized at the annual Hockey East...
Maureen Murphy Collects...
PROVIDENCE, R.I. – Maureen Murphy (Buffalo, N.Y.) of the Providence College women’s ice hockey team was unanimously selected to the Hockey East...
Women's Hockey Falls in Game...
The Providence College women's hockey team fell to the University of Connecticut in heartbreaking fashion on Sunday, Feb. 25 in the Hockey East Quarterfinal ...
Women's Hockey Blanked by UConn
The Providence College women's hockey team fell to the University of Connecticut by a score of 3-0 in the second game of the Hockey East Quarterfinals on Feb...
Women's Hockey Downs UConn...
The Providence College women's hockey team defeated the University of Connecticut in Hockey East Quarterfinal action on Friday night (Feb. 23). The Friars...
Women's Hockey Game Notes vs...
The second-seeded Friars host the seventh-seeded UConn Huskies in the Hockey East Quarterfinals. Games are set for Friday, Feb. 23 (7:00 p.m.), Saturday, Feb...
Women’s Hockey East...
The Providence College women’s hockey team is set to host the UConn Huskies in a Hockey East Quarterfinal series from Feb. 23-25. Games are slated for ...
Madison Myers Named Hockey...
Madison Myers (Colchester, Vt.) was named the Hockey East Co-Defensive Player of the Week on Monday, Feb. 19.