PROVIDENCE, R.I. - The No. 10 Providence College women's hockey team fell to No. 8 Cornell University, 4-2, on Sunday afternoon (Nov. 26) at Schneider Arena.
No. 10 Providence - 2 | No. 8 Cornell - 4
Providence: 9-5-3 (6-1-1 HE) | Cornell: 7-3-1 (5-1-0 ECAC)
Schneider Arena - Providence, R.I.
GAME FLOW & NOTES
- Diana Buckley opened the scoring just 2:15 into the game. Pippy Gerace slapped the puck ahead after a neutral zone turnover and sent Buckley in on a partial breakaway. She was able to beat Clare Minnerath (Sartell, Minn.) low and to the left.
- Maureen Murphy (Buffalo, N.Y.) tied the game just over two minutes later. Ariane Julien (Saint-Hyacinthe, Quebec) played a pass across the blue line to Avery Fransoo (North Battleford, Saskatchewan) who found Murphy in the slot. She then roofed a wrist shot over Marlene Boissonnault's glove for her team-leading 10th goal of the year.
- Midway through the first period, Kristin O'Neill scored her second goal in as many days. Brianna Veerman played a cross-ice pass to Madlynne Mills, who dropped it off for O'Neill. Her quick- release shot made it 2-1 in favor of the Big Red.
- Providence leveled the score once again on a goal 7:49 into the second period. Brooke Boquist (Thunder Bay, Ontario) scored from the slot after a nice breakout play in the defensive zone. Kate Friesen (Altona, Manitoba) and Meaghan Rickard (Coventry, R.I.) picked up assists on the goal.
- With just over one minute remaining in the second period, Madlynne Mills scored an unassisted goal to give Cornell back the lead.
- O'Neill scored her second of the game at 2:42 of the third period, giving Cornell a 4-2 lead. She skated the puck into the zone, took a shot which was saved by Minnerath and then scored on her own rebound.
- The Friars killed off three penalties during the game, including a 5x3 opportunity for the Big Red. The kills push Providence to 21-for-21 on the penalty kill in the last five games.
- Minnerath made a career-high 28 saves in the game.
HOW THEY SCORED
1-0 (Cornell) - 2:15/1st - EV - Diana Buckley, assisted by Pippy Gerace - Partial breakaway
1-1 (Providence) - 4:53/1st - EV - Maureen Murphy, assisted by Avery Fransoo and Ariane Julien - Wrist shot from the top of the right circle
2-1 (Cornell) - 10:16/1st - EV - Kristin O'Neill, assisted by Madlynne Mills and Brianna Veerman - Shot off a drop-pass in the slot
2-2 (Providence) - 7:49/2nd - EV - Brooke Boquist, assisted by Meaghan Rickard and Kate Friesen - Shot from the slot
3-2 (Cornell) - 18:54/2nd - EV - Madlynne Mills (unassisted) - Breakaway goal
4-2 (Cornell) - 2:42/3rd - EV - Kristin O'Neill (unassisted) - Goal off her own rebound
Providence: Clare Minnerath, 1-1-0: 28 saves, 4 goals against
Cornell: Marlene Boissonnault, 7-3-1: 23 saves, 2 goals against
Face-off percentage: 59.6% (34/57)
Power plays: 0-4 (0%)
Penalty kill: 3-3 (100%)
Face-off percentage: 40.1% (23/57)
Power plays: 0-3 (0%)
Penalty kill: 4-4 (100%)
PC GAME HIGHS
Shots: Maureen Murphy (6)
Goals: Maureen Murphy and Brooke Boquist (1)
Assists: Four different players (1)
Points: Six different players (1)
The Friars return to Hockey East play with a home-and-home series against UCONN next weekend. On Friday (Dec. 1) the game is at the University of Connecticut at 7:00 p.m. and on Saturday (Dec. 2) the game is at Schneider Arena at 7:00 p.m.
For more updates on the Providence women's hockey program, follow the team on Twitter @PCWHockey.
- GO FRIARS -
Official StoreOfficial Online
Maureen Murphy Collects...
PROVIDENCE, R.I. – Maureen Murphy (Buffalo, N.Y.) of the Providence College women’s ice hockey team was unanimously selected to the Hockey East...
Women's Hockey Falls in Game...
The Providence College women's hockey team fell to the University of Connecticut in heartbreaking fashion on Sunday, Feb. 25 in the Hockey East Quarterfinal ...
Women's Hockey Blanked by UConn
The Providence College women's hockey team fell to the University of Connecticut by a score of 3-0 in the second game of the Hockey East Quarterfinals on Feb...
Women's Hockey Downs UConn...
The Providence College women's hockey team defeated the University of Connecticut in Hockey East Quarterfinal action on Friday night (Feb. 23). The Friars...
Women's Hockey Game Notes vs...
The second-seeded Friars host the seventh-seeded UConn Huskies in the Hockey East Quarterfinals. Games are set for Friday, Feb. 23 (7:00 p.m.), Saturday, Feb...
Women’s Hockey East...
The Providence College women’s hockey team is set to host the UConn Huskies in a Hockey East Quarterfinal series from Feb. 23-25. Games are slated for ...
Madison Myers Named Hockey...
Madison Myers (Colchester, Vt.) was named the Hockey East Co-Defensive Player of the Week on Monday, Feb. 19.
Women's Hockey Tops...
The Providence College women's hockey team defeated the Northeastern University Huskies, 1-0, in the 2017-18 regular season finale on Sunday, Feb. 18 at...