PROVIDENCE, R.I. – The No. 10 Providence College women’s hockey team earned a decisive 5-0 victory over the Merrimack College Warriors on Nov. 18 at Schneider Arena.
No. 10 Providence – 5 | Merrimack – 0
Providence: 8-3-3 (5-1-1 HE) | Merrimack: 4-10-3 (1-6-2 HE)
Schneider Arena – Providence, R.I.
GAME FLOW & NOTES
- Maureen Murphy (Buffalo, N.Y.) scored her sixth goal in the last six games to put the Friars ahead 1-0 at the 9:05 mark of the first period. Kate Friesen (Altona, Manitoba) played the puck ahead to Murphy, who ripped a shot from the slot. Lea-Kristine Demers made the initial save, but the puck trickled out of her glove and over the line.
- The Friars’ scoring continued late in the second period. Madison Sansone (Lockport, N.Y.) ripped a shot from the left circle over the shoulder of Demers. Blair Parent (Blaine, Minn.) and Cassidy MacPherson (Oakville, Ontario) grabbed assists on the play.
- MacPherson scored a goal of her own with 58 seconds remaining in the period. Parent and Sansone assisted her power-play goal.
- In the third period, Whitney Dove (Port Moody, British Columbia) scored another power play goal. Avery Fransoo (North Battleford, Saskatchewan) and Sansone notched assists on her slap shot from the left point. The assist was Sansone’s second of the day and gave her three points on the night.
- Blair Parent scored less than two minutes later to make it 5-0. Ariane Julien (Saint-Hyacinthe, Quebec) took a shot from the point that Parent tipped in front. Murphy was credited the secondary assist on the play.
- Parent joined Sansone in finishing the day with a goal and two assists for three points.
- Madison Myers (Colchester, Vt.) made 20 saves in her first shutout of the season.
HOW THEY SCORED
1-0 (Providence) – 9:05/1st – EV – Maureen Murphy, assisted by Kate Friesen – Shot from the slot that trickled out of Demers’ glove and in
2-0 (Providence) – 17:20/2nd – EV – Madison Sansone, assisted by Blair Parent and Cassidy MacPherson – Wrist shot over the shoulder of Demers
3-0 (Providence) – 19:02/2nd – PP – Cassidy MacPherson, assisted by Blair Parent and Madison Sansone – Bar-down shot from the right circle
4-0 (Providence) – 8:41/3rd – PP – Whitney Dove, assisted by Avery Fransoo and Madison Sansone – Slap shot from the left point
5-0 (Providence) – 10:07/3rd – EV – Blair Parent, assisted by Ariane Julien and Maureen Murphy – Julien took a shot from the point that Parent tipped in front
Providence: Madison Myers, 7-3-3: 20 saves, 0 goals against
Merrimack: Lea-Kristine Demers, 3-4-2: 32 saves, 5 goals against and Samantha Ridgewell: 8 saves, 0 goals against
Face-off percentage: 58.8% (40/68)
Power plays: 2-5 (40%)
Penalty kill: 3-3 (100%)
Face-off percentage: 41.2% (28/68)
Power plays: 0-3 (0%)
Penalty kill: 3-5 (60%)
PC GAME HIGHS
Shots: Whitney Dove (7)
Goals: Five different players (1)
Assists: Madison Sansone and Blair Parent (2)
Points: Madison Sansone and Blair Parent (3)
The Friars will play a mid-week game at Schneider Arena against the University of New Hampshire. Puck drop is at 7:00 p.m. on Wednesday, Nov. 22.
For more updates on the Providence women’s hockey program, follow the team on Twitter @PCWHockey.
- GO FRIARS -
Official StoreOfficial Online
Former Friar Genevieve...
Former Providence College women’s hockey goaltender Genevieve Lacasse ’12 turned in a 44-save performance on Feb. 14 to help Canada defeat the...
Maureen Murphy Named Hockey ...
Maureen Murphy (Buffalo, N.Y.) of the Providence College women’s ice hockey team was named the Hockey East Pro Ambitions Rookie of the Week for the...
Maureen Murphy Lifts Women's...
The Providence College women's hockey team defeated #9 University of Maine, 2-1, in overtime on Feb. 11 at Schneider Arena. Maureen Murphy (Buffalo, N.Y.)...
Women's Hockey Battles to 1-...
The Providence College women's hockey team battled to a 1-1 draw with #9 University of Maine on Feb. 10 at Schneider Arena.
Women's Hockey Game Notes vs...
The Friars host the #9 University of Maine Black Bears for Alumni and Family Weekend. Games are set for Saturday, Feb. 10 and Sunday, Feb. 11 at 2:00 p.m....
#9 Women's Hockey Downed in ...
The No. 9 Providence College women's hockey team tied the game late in the third period, but eventually fell to the University of Connecticut, 3-2, in...
#9 Providence College Women'...
The No. 9 Providence College women's hockey team fell to the Merrimack College Warriors by a score of 4-1 on Friday night at Schneider Arena.
#9 Women's Hockey Game Notes...
The Friars face Merrimack College at home on Friday night (Feb. 2) at 7:00 p.m. The game, which will be played at Schneider Arena is the team’s Mental ...