PROVIDENCE, R.I. – The No. 10 Providence College women’s hockey team earned a decisive 5-0 victory over the Merrimack College Warriors on Nov. 18 at Schneider Arena.
No. 10 Providence – 5 | Merrimack – 0
Providence: 8-3-3 (5-1-1 HE) | Merrimack: 4-10-3 (1-6-2 HE)
Schneider Arena – Providence, R.I.
GAME FLOW & NOTES
- Maureen Murphy (Buffalo, N.Y.) scored her sixth goal in the last six games to put the Friars ahead 1-0 at the 9:05 mark of the first period. Kate Friesen (Altona, Manitoba) played the puck ahead to Murphy, who ripped a shot from the slot. Lea-Kristine Demers made the initial save, but the puck trickled out of her glove and over the line.
- The Friars’ scoring continued late in the second period. Madison Sansone (Lockport, N.Y.) ripped a shot from the left circle over the shoulder of Demers. Blair Parent (Blaine, Minn.) and Cassidy MacPherson (Oakville, Ontario) grabbed assists on the play.
- MacPherson scored a goal of her own with 58 seconds remaining in the period. Parent and Sansone assisted her power-play goal.
- In the third period, Whitney Dove (Port Moody, British Columbia) scored another power play goal. Avery Fransoo (North Battleford, Saskatchewan) and Sansone notched assists on her slap shot from the left point. The assist was Sansone’s second of the day and gave her three points on the night.
- Blair Parent scored less than two minutes later to make it 5-0. Ariane Julien (Saint-Hyacinthe, Quebec) took a shot from the point that Parent tipped in front. Murphy was credited the secondary assist on the play.
- Parent joined Sansone in finishing the day with a goal and two assists for three points.
- Madison Myers (Colchester, Vt.) made 20 saves in her first shutout of the season.
HOW THEY SCORED
1-0 (Providence) – 9:05/1st – EV – Maureen Murphy, assisted by Kate Friesen – Shot from the slot that trickled out of Demers’ glove and in
2-0 (Providence) – 17:20/2nd – EV – Madison Sansone, assisted by Blair Parent and Cassidy MacPherson – Wrist shot over the shoulder of Demers
3-0 (Providence) – 19:02/2nd – PP – Cassidy MacPherson, assisted by Blair Parent and Madison Sansone – Bar-down shot from the right circle
4-0 (Providence) – 8:41/3rd – PP – Whitney Dove, assisted by Avery Fransoo and Madison Sansone – Slap shot from the left point
5-0 (Providence) – 10:07/3rd – EV – Blair Parent, assisted by Ariane Julien and Maureen Murphy – Julien took a shot from the point that Parent tipped in front
Providence: Madison Myers, 7-3-3: 20 saves, 0 goals against
Merrimack: Lea-Kristine Demers, 3-4-2: 32 saves, 5 goals against and Samantha Ridgewell: 8 saves, 0 goals against
Face-off percentage: 58.8% (40/68)
Power plays: 2-5 (40%)
Penalty kill: 3-3 (100%)
Face-off percentage: 41.2% (28/68)
Power plays: 0-3 (0%)
Penalty kill: 3-5 (60%)
PC GAME HIGHS
Shots: Whitney Dove (7)
Goals: Five different players (1)
Assists: Madison Sansone and Blair Parent (2)
Points: Madison Sansone and Blair Parent (3)
The Friars will play a mid-week game at Schneider Arena against the University of New Hampshire. Puck drop is at 7:00 p.m. on Wednesday, Nov. 22.
For more updates on the Providence women’s hockey program, follow the team on Twitter @PCWHockey.
- GO FRIARS -
Official StoreOfficial Online
Maureen Murphy Picks Up All-...
PROVIDENCE, R.I. – Maureen Murphy (Buffalo, N.Y.) of the Providence College women’s ice hockey team was named a New England All-Star by the New...
Seven Friars Named to...
Seven Friars comprise the 16-member inaugural class of the Rhode Island Hockey Hall of Fame.
Murphy, Friesen and Deraney ...
BOSTON, Mass. – Maureen Murphy (Buffalo, N.Y.), Kate Friesen (Altona, Manitoba) and head coach Bob Deraney were recognized at the annual Hockey East...
Maureen Murphy Collects...
PROVIDENCE, R.I. – Maureen Murphy (Buffalo, N.Y.) of the Providence College women’s ice hockey team was unanimously selected to the Hockey East...
Women's Hockey Falls in Game...
The Providence College women's hockey team fell to the University of Connecticut in heartbreaking fashion on Sunday, Feb. 25 in the Hockey East Quarterfinal ...
Women's Hockey Blanked by UConn
The Providence College women's hockey team fell to the University of Connecticut by a score of 3-0 in the second game of the Hockey East Quarterfinals on Feb...
Women's Hockey Downs UConn...
The Providence College women's hockey team defeated the University of Connecticut in Hockey East Quarterfinal action on Friday night (Feb. 23). The Friars...
Women's Hockey Game Notes vs...
The second-seeded Friars host the seventh-seeded UConn Huskies in the Hockey East Quarterfinals. Games are set for Friday, Feb. 23 (7:00 p.m.), Saturday, Feb...