NORTH ANDOVER, Mass. – The No. 10 Providence College women’s hockey team skated to a 4-1 victory at Merrimack College on Friday night (Nov. 17).
No. 10 Providence – 4 | Merrimack – 1
Providence: 7-3-3 (4-1-1 HE) | Merrimack: 4-9-3 (1-5-2 HE)
Lawler Rink – North Andover, Mass.
GAME FLOW & NOTES
- Cassidy MacPherson (Oakville, Ontario) got the Friars on the board at the 11:40 mark of the first period. Kate Friesen’s (Altona, Manitoba) initial shot from the point was saved, but MacPherson was able to put home the rebound. Meaghan Rickard (Coventry, R.I.) earned the secondary assist on the play.
- Clare Minnerath (Sartell, Minn.) made a crucial breakaway save with under six minutes remaining in the first period. The net minder’s sprawling save kept the Warriors off the board.
- Madison Sansone (Lockport, N.Y.) extended the Friars’ lead to 2-0 early in the second period. Neve Van Pelt (Mitchell, Ontario) drew the face-off back to Sansone, who fired it past Lea-Kristine Demers for her fifth goal of the year.
- With eight minutes to play in the period, freshman Megan Fergussen got the Warriors on the board. She poked the puck through Minnerath’s five-hole to bring Merrimack back within one.
- Christina Putigna (Grimsby, Ontario) had a chance to push the lead back to two with a short-handed breakaway. Her bid was denied with 15 minutes remaining in regulation.
- Maureen Murphy (Buffalo, N.Y.) added an empty-netter with just over a minute to play. The freshman has now scored in four of the last five games. MacPherson and Avery Fransoo (North Battleford, Saskatchewan) tallied assists on the play.
- Friesen earned her second point of the night with an empty net goal. With 18 seconds on the clock, Chloe Gonsalves (Toronto, Ontario) played the puck to Friesen, who found the net from her defensive blue line.
HOW THEY SCORED
1-0 (Providence) – 11:40/1st – DP (6x5) – Cassidy MacPherson, assisted by Kate Friesen and Meaghan Rickard – Rebound goal off a shot from the point
2-0 (Providence) – 6:27/2nd – EV – Madison Sansone, assisted by Neve Van Pelt – Van Pelt drew the faceoff back to Sansone, who shot and scored
2-1 (Merrimack) – 11:58/2nd – EV – Megan Fergussen, assisted by Felicia Manu – Poked in through five-hole
3-1 (Providence) – 18:43/3rd – EN – Maureen Murphy, assisted by Cassidy MacPherson and Avery Fransoo – Empty-netter from the slot
4-1 (Providence) – 19:42/3rd – EN – Kate Friesen, assisted by Chloe Gonsalves – Empty-netter from defensive blue line
Providence: Clare Minnerath, 1-0-0: 23 saves, 1 goal against
Merrimack: Lea-Kristine Demers, 3-3-2: 32 saves, 2 goals against
Face-off percentage: 55.8% (29/52)
Power plays: 0-4 (0%)
Penalty kill: 6-6 (100%)
Face-off percentage: 44.2% (23/52)
Power plays: 0-6 (0%)
Penalty kill: 4-4 (100%)
PC GAME HIGHS
Shots: Madison Sansone (5)
Goals: Four different players (1)
Assists: Six different players (1)
Points: Cassidy MacPherson and Kate Friesen (2)
The Friars continue the series with the Warriors tomorrow night (Nov. 18). Puck drop is set for 7:00 p.m. at Schneider Arena.
For more updates on the Providence women’s hockey program, follow the team on Twitter @PCWHockey.
- GO FRIARS -
Official StoreOfficial Online
Maureen Murphy Collects...
PROVIDENCE, R.I. – Maureen Murphy (Buffalo, N.Y.) of the Providence College women’s ice hockey team was unanimously selected to the Hockey East...
Women's Hockey Falls in Game...
The Providence College women's hockey team fell to the University of Connecticut in heartbreaking fashion on Sunday, Feb. 25 in the Hockey East Quarterfinal ...
Women's Hockey Blanked by UConn
The Providence College women's hockey team fell to the University of Connecticut by a score of 3-0 in the second game of the Hockey East Quarterfinals on Feb...
Women's Hockey Downs UConn...
The Providence College women's hockey team defeated the University of Connecticut in Hockey East Quarterfinal action on Friday night (Feb. 23). The Friars...
Women's Hockey Game Notes vs...
The second-seeded Friars host the seventh-seeded UConn Huskies in the Hockey East Quarterfinals. Games are set for Friday, Feb. 23 (7:00 p.m.), Saturday, Feb...
Women’s Hockey East...
The Providence College women’s hockey team is set to host the UConn Huskies in a Hockey East Quarterfinal series from Feb. 23-25. Games are slated for ...
Madison Myers Named Hockey...
Madison Myers (Colchester, Vt.) was named the Hockey East Co-Defensive Player of the Week on Monday, Feb. 19.
Women's Hockey Tops...
The Providence College women's hockey team defeated the Northeastern University Huskies, 1-0, in the 2017-18 regular season finale on Sunday, Feb. 18 at...