ORONO, Maine – The No. 9/10 Providence College women’s hockey team played to a 2-2 draw with the University of Maine on Friday night (Nov. 10) at Alfond Arena.
No. 9/10 Providence – 2 | Maine – 2
Providence: 6-3-3 (3-1-1 HE) | Maine: 7-5-1 (2-2-1 HE)
Alfond Arena – Orono, Maine
GAME FLOW & NOTES
- Maine got on the board first with a power play goal 14:09 into the game. Brooke Stacey fed a pass to Michelle Weis, who shifted to the backhand and scored from in front. Tereza Vanisova picked up the secondary assist on Weis’ third tally of the year.
- Maureen Murphy (Buffalo, N.Y.) leveled the score with under a minute remaining in the first period. She streaked off the right boards and ripped a wrist shot over the shoulder of Carly Jackson. Cassidy MacPherson (Oakville, Ontario) and Rachel Rockwell (Broadview Heights, Ohio) notched assists on Murphy’s fifth of the year.
- Murphy has now scored in three of the Friars’ last four games.
- The Friars outshot the Black Bears 17-4 in the second period.
- Carly Jackson made 17 second-period saves, including an impressive sliding stop on Meaghan Rickard (Coventry, R.I.) in the final seconds of the frame.
- Both teams had chances hit the post early in the third frame. MacPherson was the Friar with the bid that was denied by the iron.
- Murphy scored her second of the game with 12:18 to go in regulation. Her power-play goal was assisted by Brooke Boquist (Thunder Bay, Ontario) and Avery Fransoo (North Battleford, Saskatchewan).
- The Friars outshot the Black Bears 5-0 in the overtime period, but were unable to find a game-winner.
- Madison Myers (Colchester, Vt) made 19 saves for the Friars. At the other end, Carly Jackson made 36 saves for the Black Bears.
HOW THEY SCORED
1-0 (Maine) – 14:09/1st – PP – Michelle Weis, assisted by Brooke Stacey and Tereza Vanisova – Backhand shot in front
1-1 (Providence) – 19:08/1st – EV – Maureen Murphy, assisted by Cassidy MacPherson and Rachel Rockwell – Wrist shot, bar-down
2-1 (Providence) – 7:42/3rd – PP – Maureen Murphy, assisted by Brooke Boquist and Avery Fransoo – Poked in from in front
2-2 (Maine) – 11:54/3rd – PP – Michelle Weis, assisted by Tereza Vanisova and Alyson Matteau – Wrist shot from the right circle
Providence: Madison Myers, 6-3-3: 19 saves, 2 goals against
Maine: Carly Jackson, 5-4-1: 36 saves, 2 goals against
Face-off percentage: 60.0% (34/63)
Power plays: 1-3 (33.3%)
Penalty kill: 5-7 (71.4%)
Face-off percentage: 46.0% (29/63)
Power plays: 2-7 (28.6%)
Penalty kill: 2-3 (66.6%)
PC GAME HIGHS
Shots: Christina Putigna (8)
Goals: Maureen Murphy (2)
Assists: Four different players (1)
Points: Maureen Murphy (2)
The Friars play a home-and-home series with the Merrimack Warriors next weekend. On Friday, Nov. 17 Providence travels to Merrimack for a 7:00 p.m. puck drop. On Saturday, the Friars return to Schneider arena for a 7:00 p.m. start.
For more updates on the Providence women’s hockey program, follow the team on Twitter @PCWHockey
- GO FRIARS -
Official StoreOfficial Online
Maureen Murphy Picks Up All-...
PROVIDENCE, R.I. – Maureen Murphy (Buffalo, N.Y.) of the Providence College women’s ice hockey team was named a New England All-Star by the New...
Seven Friars Named to...
Seven Friars comprise the 16-member inaugural class of the Rhode Island Hockey Hall of Fame.
Murphy, Friesen and Deraney ...
BOSTON, Mass. – Maureen Murphy (Buffalo, N.Y.), Kate Friesen (Altona, Manitoba) and head coach Bob Deraney were recognized at the annual Hockey East...
Maureen Murphy Collects...
PROVIDENCE, R.I. – Maureen Murphy (Buffalo, N.Y.) of the Providence College women’s ice hockey team was unanimously selected to the Hockey East...
Women's Hockey Falls in Game...
The Providence College women's hockey team fell to the University of Connecticut in heartbreaking fashion on Sunday, Feb. 25 in the Hockey East Quarterfinal ...
Women's Hockey Blanked by UConn
The Providence College women's hockey team fell to the University of Connecticut by a score of 3-0 in the second game of the Hockey East Quarterfinals on Feb...
Women's Hockey Downs UConn...
The Providence College women's hockey team defeated the University of Connecticut in Hockey East Quarterfinal action on Friday night (Feb. 23). The Friars...
Women's Hockey Game Notes vs...
The second-seeded Friars host the seventh-seeded UConn Huskies in the Hockey East Quarterfinals. Games are set for Friday, Feb. 23 (7:00 p.m.), Saturday, Feb...