ORONO, Maine – The No. 9/10 Providence College women’s hockey team played to a 2-2 draw with the University of Maine on Friday night (Nov. 10) at Alfond Arena.
No. 9/10 Providence – 2 | Maine – 2
Providence: 6-3-3 (3-1-1 HE) | Maine: 7-5-1 (2-2-1 HE)
Alfond Arena – Orono, Maine
GAME FLOW & NOTES
- Maine got on the board first with a power play goal 14:09 into the game. Brooke Stacey fed a pass to Michelle Weis, who shifted to the backhand and scored from in front. Tereza Vanisova picked up the secondary assist on Weis’ third tally of the year.
- Maureen Murphy (Buffalo, N.Y.) leveled the score with under a minute remaining in the first period. She streaked off the right boards and ripped a wrist shot over the shoulder of Carly Jackson. Cassidy MacPherson (Oakville, Ontario) and Rachel Rockwell (Broadview Heights, Ohio) notched assists on Murphy’s fifth of the year.
- Murphy has now scored in three of the Friars’ last four games.
- The Friars outshot the Black Bears 17-4 in the second period.
- Carly Jackson made 17 second-period saves, including an impressive sliding stop on Meaghan Rickard (Coventry, R.I.) in the final seconds of the frame.
- Both teams had chances hit the post early in the third frame. MacPherson was the Friar with the bid that was denied by the iron.
- Murphy scored her second of the game with 12:18 to go in regulation. Her power-play goal was assisted by Brooke Boquist (Thunder Bay, Ontario) and Avery Fransoo (North Battleford, Saskatchewan).
- The Friars outshot the Black Bears 5-0 in the overtime period, but were unable to find a game-winner.
- Madison Myers (Colchester, Vt) made 19 saves for the Friars. At the other end, Carly Jackson made 36 saves for the Black Bears.
HOW THEY SCORED
1-0 (Maine) – 14:09/1st – PP – Michelle Weis, assisted by Brooke Stacey and Tereza Vanisova – Backhand shot in front
1-1 (Providence) – 19:08/1st – EV – Maureen Murphy, assisted by Cassidy MacPherson and Rachel Rockwell – Wrist shot, bar-down
2-1 (Providence) – 7:42/3rd – PP – Maureen Murphy, assisted by Brooke Boquist and Avery Fransoo – Poked in from in front
2-2 (Maine) – 11:54/3rd – PP – Michelle Weis, assisted by Tereza Vanisova and Alyson Matteau – Wrist shot from the right circle
Providence: Madison Myers, 6-3-3: 19 saves, 2 goals against
Maine: Carly Jackson, 5-4-1: 36 saves, 2 goals against
Face-off percentage: 60.0% (34/63)
Power plays: 1-3 (33.3%)
Penalty kill: 5-7 (71.4%)
Face-off percentage: 46.0% (29/63)
Power plays: 2-7 (28.6%)
Penalty kill: 2-3 (66.6%)
PC GAME HIGHS
Shots: Christina Putigna (8)
Goals: Maureen Murphy (2)
Assists: Four different players (1)
Points: Maureen Murphy (2)
The Friars play a home-and-home series with the Merrimack Warriors next weekend. On Friday, Nov. 17 Providence travels to Merrimack for a 7:00 p.m. puck drop. On Saturday, the Friars return to Schneider arena for a 7:00 p.m. start.
For more updates on the Providence women’s hockey program, follow the team on Twitter @PCWHockey
- GO FRIARS -
Official StoreOfficial Online
Former Friar Genevieve...
Former Providence College women’s hockey goaltender Genevieve Lacasse ’12 turned in a 44-save performance on Feb. 14 to help Canada defeat the...
Maureen Murphy Named Hockey ...
Maureen Murphy (Buffalo, N.Y.) of the Providence College women’s ice hockey team was named the Hockey East Pro Ambitions Rookie of the Week for the...
Maureen Murphy Lifts Women's...
The Providence College women's hockey team defeated #9 University of Maine, 2-1, in overtime on Feb. 11 at Schneider Arena. Maureen Murphy (Buffalo, N.Y.)...
Women's Hockey Battles to 1-...
The Providence College women's hockey team battled to a 1-1 draw with #9 University of Maine on Feb. 10 at Schneider Arena.
Women's Hockey Game Notes vs...
The Friars host the #9 University of Maine Black Bears for Alumni and Family Weekend. Games are set for Saturday, Feb. 10 and Sunday, Feb. 11 at 2:00 p.m....
#9 Women's Hockey Downed in ...
The No. 9 Providence College women's hockey team tied the game late in the third period, but eventually fell to the University of Connecticut, 3-2, in...
#9 Providence College Women'...
The No. 9 Providence College women's hockey team fell to the Merrimack College Warriors by a score of 4-1 on Friday night at Schneider Arena.
#9 Women's Hockey Game Notes...
The Friars face Merrimack College at home on Friday night (Feb. 2) at 7:00 p.m. The game, which will be played at Schneider Arena is the team’s Mental ...