Women's Hockey Falls To Connecticut, 5-4

Frade earned the third star of the game with three points.

Nov. 10, 2013

Box Score

Storrs, Conn. - The Providence College women's ice hockey team fell, 5-4, to the Connecticut Huskies on Sunday, Nov. 10 at the Freitas Ice Forum. With the loss, the Friars overall record moves to 4-8-0 and 1-5-0 in league play on the season. It was the first loss to the Huskies since March 6, 2010, when the Friars fell 3-2 in the Hockey East semifinal round.

The Huskies took an early 2-0 lead over the Friars with goals from Sarah MacDonnell and Margaret Zimmer. Connecticut's first goal came at 3:32 of the first period, when MacDonnell received a pass in the high slot from Rebecca Fleming, who picked off a Friar pass. MacDonnell ripped a shot high over the shoulder of Friar senior goaltender Nina Riley (Lexington, Mass.).

Connecticut extended its lead at 10:27 of the first period. Zimmer entered the zone on a 1-on-1 with freshman Cassidy Carels (Bruxelles, Manitoba), before making a move to her backhand and firing a puck low to give the Huskies a 2-0 lead.

Carels cut the Huskies lead in half with just seven seconds remaining in the first. Junior Brooke Simpson (Boxboro, Mass.) rolled out of the offensive corner to find senior Maggie Pendleton (Woodbury, Minn) at the point, who fired a shot on net that Connecticut's goaltender Elaine Chuli could not control. Carels found the rebound and put it home for her fifth goal of the season.

At the end of the first, Providence had out shot the Huskies, 11-6. Sophomore Allie Morse (Cottage Grove, Minn.) entered the game for the Friars at 10:27 of the first period, stopping all six shots she faced during the remainder of the period.



The Friars turned the heat up during the second period, creating several scoring chances that were stopped by Chuli. Though Providence had an offensive surge, the Huskies were able to extend their lead to 3-1 with a power play goal at 18:14 of the period. Kelly Harris fired a puck that made its way through traffic in front of Morse to find its way to the back of the net for her first goal of the season.

Down 3-1, the Friars battled back during the third period. Carels notched her second of the game off a face-off play set up by sophomore Molly Illikainen (Grand Rapids, Minn.) and junior Haley Frade (Marion, Mass.) at 12:50 of the third period to cut the Huskies lead to 3-2.

The Huskies were quick to respond with a goal at 6:54, 16 seconds after the Friars closed the gap to 3-2. Rachel Farrel walked in on a 2-on-1 with a Friar defender and put the puck upstairs past Morse.

Providence continued to fight, with a goal just over a minute later. Frade entered the zone on a breakaway, making a move to her forehand and sliding the puck past Chuli for her third goal of the season to bring the Friars within one goal, 4-3. Freshman Liv Halvorson (Richfield, Minn.) and sophomore Lexi Romanchuk (San Jose, Calif.) both notched assists on the play as the defensemen to send Frade off to the races.

Connecticut would answer with a goal 32 seconds later to continue their two goal lead (5-3). Fleming notched her third point of the game with the eventual game-winning goal at 14:39 of the third period on a shot from the slot that beat Morse high.

In a last ditch effort, Providence pulled Morse for the extra skater. The Friars continued to fire away on Chuli, until Frade rifled in a puck from the top of the slot that beat Chuli high blocker side with 37 seconds left to play in regulation time. Carels assisted on the play sending the puck to Frade from along the wall for a career-high three point game. With the goal, Frade tallied her third point of the game to match a career-high in points (3) and goals (2).

Providence continued to try and even the score to send the game into overtime but could not convert with the extra attacker in the final seconds of play. Providence would outshoot the Huskies, 31-23, and hold the edge in face-offs, 31-30. The Friars also could not convert on the three power-play chances they were given, going scoreless on the power play for the third straight game.

Morse finished the game with a career-high 18 saves, while Chuli would stop 27 of the Friar's 31 shots on goal.

The Friars will travel to Postdam, N.Y. for a two-game non-conference road series with the Clarkson Knights. The first game of the series will take place on Friday, Nov. 15 at 3:00 p.m. at Cheel Arena. The series will conclude on Saturday, Nov.16 in a 3:00 p.m. puck drop.


Official Store
Official Online
Tickets Here



Follow us!

Friar Athletics
Social Media