Women's Hockey Ties Maine, 2-2

Nov. 6, 2009

Box Score

ORONO, MAINE - The Providence College (3-4-4, 2-1-2-1) women's hockey team outshot Maine (2-7-2, 0-3-2-1), 43-28, but failed to capitalize, earning a 2-2 tie with the Black Bears. Maine won the shootout, 2-1, earning the extra point in the standings.

PC held Maine without a shot for the first 8:15 of the game, but the Black Bears took a 1-0 lead with a blue-line slap shot from Amy Stech at 16:41. Stech's shot fell short of the cage but the puck took a strange bounce off the ice and found its way into the back of the net. The Friars hadn't allowed a first-period goal in six games.

Providence fought back to even the score with only 13 seconds remaining with a goal from junior Alyse Ruff (Tualatin, Ore.). Sophomore Ashley Cottrell (Sterling Heights, Mich.) gained possession of the puck behind the Maine cage and attempted a wrap-around. Her shot was saved at the right post but Ruff picked up the loose puck and put it just inside the left post for her second goal of the season.

Providence outshot the Black Bears, 9-5, and held a 13-6 edge in face offs, but the two teams went into the locker room, tied at 1-1.

Providence outshot Maine, 13-8, in the second period but failed to open a scoring gap as both teams netted a goal. Providence took a 2-1 lead at 5:14 when Nicole Anderson (Jordan, Minn.) stuffed home a pass right in front from senior Jean O'Neill (Strafford, Pa.). Cottrell also assisted on the play. The goal was Anderson's third of the season while O'Neill and Cottrell earned their fifth and fourth assists on the play, respectively.

Maine evened the score at 16:10 when forward Jenna Ouellette's wrist shot deflected off a PC stick in front and found space just over Lacasse's left shoulder.

Providence started the third period on the power play after a Maine player tripped Lacasse as the two teams made their way into the locker room. The Friars held possession in the Maine zone for the majority of the man-advantage but shots from defenders Jennifer Friedman (San Gabriel, Calif.) and Christie Jensen (Delta, B.C.) were all saved by Maine goaltender Brittany Ott.



Maine nearly took the lead in the third when Dominique Goutsis came storming out of the penalty box at 4:57, coming in all alone on Lacasse. Goutsis made her way towards the net but PC defender Amber Yung (Rockville, Va.) was able to skate back and dive to prevent a shot.

The Friars had several chances to take the lead on the power play in the final 20 minutes but Ott was up to the task, denying seven PC shots with the man-advantage. Ott finished the game with 16 saves on the PC power play and 41 overall. Neither team was able to generate the game winner in regulation and Providence headed into its fifth overtime game of the season.

The Friars earned their seventh power play of the game 50 seconds into overtime but a Jen Friedman shot from the point was saved by Ott. Lacasse came up with a glove save during a Maine two-on-one break with five seconds remaining, leading to the shootout.

Providence entered its second shootout of the season with Maine's Lexie Hoffmeyer ripping a slap shot into the top corner for the opening goal.

The next four shots were saved before PC freshman Jessica Cohen (Anchorage, Alaska) slid her attempt through Ott's five-hole to even the score, 1-1. Maine's Myria Croussette scored on her next attempt and Alyse Ruff missed her shot to give Maine the 2-1 victory.

Providence will head home for a crucial Hockey East contest with first place and No. 8 Northeastern on Sunday, November 8 at 1:00 p.m.

Official Store
Official Online
Tickets Here



Follow us!

Friar Athletics
Social Media