BOSTON, Mass. -
The Providence College women’s ice hockey team improved to 6-2-2 and 3-0-0 in Hockey East with another upset win over No. 7 Northeastern. The Friars defeated the Huskies, 6-4, on Oct. 29 at Matthews Arena.
Providence – 6 | No. 7 Northeastern – 4
Providence: 6-2-2 (3-0-0 HE) | Northeastern: 5-5-1 (3-2-0 HE)
Matthews Arena – Boston, Mass.
GAME FLOW & NOTES
- Maureen Murphy (Buffalo, N.Y.) scored her second goal in as many days just 1:32 into the game. Cassidy MacPherson (Oakville, Ontario) picked up the assist on the play.
- Northeastern appeared to have leveled the score on the power play just five minutes later. The Providence bench challenged the play for offside and won, keeping the score at 1-0.
- Chloe Gonsalves (Toronto, Ontario) made it 2-0 with a shot from the top of the left circle at the 16:18 mark of the first period. Kate Friesen (Altona, Manitoba) and MacPherson earned assists on the play.
- Just 17 seconds later, McKenna Brand tallied a goal for the Huskies to make it 2-1.
- Brooke Boquist (Thunder Bay, Ontario) scored her fourth goal of the season 58 seconds into the second period to extend the lead to 3-1. Rachel Rockwell (Broadview Heights, Ohio) notched an assist by playing an excellent pass from behind the net up the boards to Boquist.
- After the Friars’ third goal, the Huskies made a goaltending change. Aerin Frankel replaced Brittany Bugalski in net.
- Christina Putigna (Grimsby, Ontario) made it 4-1 on a power play goal from inside the right circle. Rockwell and Freisen each grabbed their second assists of the day on the play.
- The third period featured back-and-forth action with five goals. Kasidy Anderson scored two power play goals for the Huskies in an eight-minute span to bring the score to 4-3.
- Boquist tallied her second of the afternoon with just under six minutes remaining. Her wrist shot from the slot was assisted by Meaghan Rickard (Coventry, R.I.) and Putigna.
- Skylar Fontaine scored to make it 5-4 with under five minutes to play. She skated the puck end-to-end and scored over the glove of Madison Myers (Colchester, Vt).
- Madison Sansone (Lockport, N.Y.) sealed the win with an empty-netter. Her goal came with just one second remaining. Friesen earned her career-high third assist on the play.
- Madison Myers made 38 saves, including 19 in the first period alone. In this weekend’s two wins, she made a total of 78 saves.
- Providence was a combined 0/13 on the power play in the last three games. Today, the Friars were 2/5. Putigna and Boquist registered the tallies on the man-advantage.
- Before this weekend’s sweep, Northeastern had won the previous 10 meetings between the two teams, dating back to Nov. 15, 2014.
HOW THEY SCORED
1-0 (Providence) – 1:26/1st – EV – Maureen Murphy, assisted by Cassidy MacPherson – Wrist shot from the high slot
2-0 (Providence) – 16:18/1st – EV – Chloe Gonsalves, assisted by Kate Friesen and Cassidy MacPherson – Shot from the top of the left circle
2-1 (Northeastern) – 16:35/1st – EV – McKenna Brand, assisted by Veronika Pettey and Denisa Krizova – Wrist shot from the slot
3-1 (Providence) – 0:58/2nd – EV – Brooke Boquist, assisted by Rachel Rockwell – Stuffed in from the right side of the crease
4-1 (Providence) – 14:55/2nd – PP – Christina Putigna, assisted by Rachel Rockwell and Kate Friesen – Slot shot from inside the right circle
4-2 (Northeastern) – 1:44/3rd – PP – Kasidy Anderson, assisted by Lauren Kelly – Wrist shot from the high slot
4-3 (Northeastern) – 9:12/3rd – PP – Kasidy Anderson, assisted by Lauren Kelly and Tori Sullivan – Rebound goal in front
5-3 (Providence) – 14:08/3rd – PP – Brooke Boquist, assisted by Meaghan Rickard and Christina Putigna – Wrist shot from the slot
5-4 (Northeastern) – 15:46/3rd – EV – Skylar Fontaine, assisted by Ainsley MacMillan – Skated end-to-end, fired wrist shot over Myers’ glove
6-4 (Providence) – 19:59/3rd – EN – Madison Sansone, assisted by Kate Frisen – Empty-net goal
Providence: Madison Myers, 6-2-2: 38 saves, 4 goals against
Northeastern: Brittany Bugalski, 5-5-1: 7 saves, 3 goals against & Aerin Frankel: 17 saves, 2 goals against
Face-off percentage: 44.1% (26/59)
Power plays: 2-5 (40%)
Penalty kill: 5-7 (71.4%)
Face-off percentage: 55.9% (33/59)
Power plays: 2-7 (28.6%)
Penalty kill: 3-5 (60%)
PC GAME HIGHS
Shots: Brooke Boquist (5)
Goals: Brooke Boquist (2)
Assists: Kate Friesen (3)
The Friars play just one game next weekend. On Friday, Nov. 3 Providence travels to take on No. 3 Boston College at 2:00 p.m.
For more updates on the Providence women’s hockey program, follow the team on Twitter @PCWHockey.
- GO FRIARS -
Official StoreOfficial Online
Maureen Murphy Picks Up All-...
PROVIDENCE, R.I. – Maureen Murphy (Buffalo, N.Y.) of the Providence College women’s ice hockey team was named a New England All-Star by the New...
Seven Friars Named to...
Seven Friars comprise the 16-member inaugural class of the Rhode Island Hockey Hall of Fame.
Murphy, Friesen and Deraney ...
BOSTON, Mass. – Maureen Murphy (Buffalo, N.Y.), Kate Friesen (Altona, Manitoba) and head coach Bob Deraney were recognized at the annual Hockey East...
Maureen Murphy Collects...
PROVIDENCE, R.I. – Maureen Murphy (Buffalo, N.Y.) of the Providence College women’s ice hockey team was unanimously selected to the Hockey East...
Women's Hockey Falls in Game...
The Providence College women's hockey team fell to the University of Connecticut in heartbreaking fashion on Sunday, Feb. 25 in the Hockey East Quarterfinal ...
Women's Hockey Blanked by UConn
The Providence College women's hockey team fell to the University of Connecticut by a score of 3-0 in the second game of the Hockey East Quarterfinals on Feb...
Women's Hockey Downs UConn...
The Providence College women's hockey team defeated the University of Connecticut in Hockey East Quarterfinal action on Friday night (Feb. 23). The Friars...
Women's Hockey Game Notes vs...
The second-seeded Friars host the seventh-seeded UConn Huskies in the Hockey East Quarterfinals. Games are set for Friday, Feb. 23 (7:00 p.m.), Saturday, Feb...