PROVIDENCE, R.I. -
The Providence College women’s ice hockey team defeated No. 7 Northeastern University, 2-1, on Oct. 28 at Schneider Arena.
Providence – 2 | No. 7 Northeastern – 1
Providence: 5-2-2 (2-0-0 HE) | Northeastern: 5-4-1 (3-1-0 HE)
Schneider Arena – Providence, R.I.
GAME FLOW & NOTES
- The first period featured back-and-forth action between the two teams. After one, the Friars led 12-10 in shots.
- Madison Myers (Colchester, Vt) made 10 saves in the opening frame for the Friars.
- Christina Putigna (Grimsby, Ontario) nearly scored for the Friars with about 12:30 remaining of the second period. She tried to stuff home a rebound on the doorstep, but Brittany Bugalski made an impressive sliding save to preserve the 0-0 tie.
- Just three minutes later, Putigna did find the back of the net. She picked up a loose puck on the boards, skated to the slot and fired a wrist shot over Bugalski’s pad.
- Fifty seconds later, the Friars doubled their lead. Blair Parent (Blaine, Minn.) took a shot that squeaked through the five-hole of Bugalski. Maureen Murphy (Buffalo, N.Y.) saw the puck sitting in the crease and was able to poke it home. Avery Fransoo (North Battleford, Saskatchewan) was awarded the secondary assist.
- Northeastern’s Lauren Kelly scored her first of the season with less than five minutes remaining in the period. Her odd-angle shot from the goal line deflected off the side of Myers’ pad and into the net. The power play goal was assisted by Brooke Hobson and Tori Sullivan.
- Myers made a career-high 40 saves in the victory.
- Providence was 0/3 on the power play. They are now a combined 0/13 in the last three games.
- The win was the Friars’ first over the Huskies since Nov. 15, 2014. Northeastern had won the last 10 meetings between the two teams.
HOW THEY SCORED
1-0 (Providence) – 9:35/2nd – EV – Christina Putigna – Shot from the slot
2-0 (Providence) – 10:25/2nd – EV – Maureen Murphy, assisted by Blair Parent and Avery Fransoo – Poked home a loose puck in the crease
2-1 (Northeastern) – 15:12/2nd – PP – Lauren Kelly, assisted by Brooke Hobson and Tori Sullivan – Odd-angle shot from the goal line that deflected in off Myers
Providence: Madison Myers, 5-2-2: 40 saves, 1 goal against
Northeastern: Brittany Bugalski, 5-4-1: 30 saves, 2 goals against
Face-off percentage: 52.9% (27/51)
Power plays: 0-3 (0%)
Penalty kill: 6-7 (85.7%)
Face-off percentage: 47.1% (24/51)
Power plays: 1-7 (14.3%)
Penalty kill: 3-3 (100%)
PC GAME HIGHS
Shots: Brooke Boquist and Blair Parent (5)
Goals: Christina Putigna and Maureen Murphy (1)
Assists: Blair Parent and Avery Fransoo (1)
The Friars continue the series against Northeastern tomorrow (Oct. 29) when they travel to Matthews Arena for a 2:00 p.m. game.
For more updates on the Providence women’s hockey program, follow the team on Twitter @PCWHockey.
- GO FRIARS -
Official StoreOfficial Online
Maureen Murphy Picks Up All-...
PROVIDENCE, R.I. – Maureen Murphy (Buffalo, N.Y.) of the Providence College women’s ice hockey team was named a New England All-Star by the New...
Seven Friars Named to...
Seven Friars comprise the 16-member inaugural class of the Rhode Island Hockey Hall of Fame.
Murphy, Friesen and Deraney ...
BOSTON, Mass. – Maureen Murphy (Buffalo, N.Y.), Kate Friesen (Altona, Manitoba) and head coach Bob Deraney were recognized at the annual Hockey East...
Maureen Murphy Collects...
PROVIDENCE, R.I. – Maureen Murphy (Buffalo, N.Y.) of the Providence College women’s ice hockey team was unanimously selected to the Hockey East...
Women's Hockey Falls in Game...
The Providence College women's hockey team fell to the University of Connecticut in heartbreaking fashion on Sunday, Feb. 25 in the Hockey East Quarterfinal ...
Women's Hockey Blanked by UConn
The Providence College women's hockey team fell to the University of Connecticut by a score of 3-0 in the second game of the Hockey East Quarterfinals on Feb...
Women's Hockey Downs UConn...
The Providence College women's hockey team defeated the University of Connecticut in Hockey East Quarterfinal action on Friday night (Feb. 23). The Friars...
Women's Hockey Game Notes vs...
The second-seeded Friars host the seventh-seeded UConn Huskies in the Hockey East Quarterfinals. Games are set for Friday, Feb. 23 (7:00 p.m.), Saturday, Feb...