PRINCETON, N.J. -
The Providence College women’s ice hockey team tied the Princeton Tigers, 2-2, on Saturday afternoon at Hobey Baker Rink in Princeton, N.J. Cassidy MacPherson (Oakville, Ontario) scored both goals in the tie, which is the Friars’ second in as many days.
Providence – 2 | Princeton – 2
Providence: 4-2-2 (1-0-0 HE) | Princeton: 0-0-2 (0-0-0 ECAC)
Hobey Baker Rink – Princeton, N.J.
GAME FLOW & NOTES
- Princeton’s Carly Bullock scored the first goal of the game for the second consecutive day. Karlie Lund made a pass to Bullock who was alone in front, shifted to the backhand and scored over the pad of Madison Myers (Colchester, Vt).
- Both teams had power plays in the final minutes of the first frame, but neither team could convert.
- Myers made 14 first-period saves while Princeton’s Stephanie Neatby made 12.
- Princeton was able to double its lead with a goal on the 5x3 advantage in the second period. Keiko DeClerck scored on a scramble in front to make it 2-0. Kiersten Falck and Julia Edgar earned assists.
- Cassidy MacPherson scored her first goal of the season to cut the lead to 2-1. She skated off the boards, through two defenders and ripped a wrist shot into the top corner with 5:33 left in the second. Christina Putigna (Grimsby, Ontario) picked up her eighth assist of the season while Kate Friesen (Altona, Manitoba) notched her fourth.
- MacPherson struck again at the 7:47 mark of the third period. Chloe Gonsalves (Toronto, Ontario) took a shot from the blue line that MacPherson tipped over Neatby’s shoulder.
- The Friars outshot the Tigers 5-1 in the overtime frame.
- Providence was a combined 0/10 on the power play this weekend.
HOW THEY SCORED
1-0 (Princeton) – 10:41/1st – EV – Carly Bullock, assisted by Karlie Lund and Stephanie Sucharda – Cross-ice pass from Lund, backhand finish in front of goal
2-0 (Princeton) – 7:36/2nd – PP (5x3) – Keiko DeClerck, assisted by Keirsten Falck and Julia Edgar – Scramble in front, rebound goal
2-1 (Providence) – 14:27/2nd – EV – Cassidy MacPherson, assisted by Christina Putigna and Kate Friesen – Wrist shot from the slot
2-2 (Providence) – 7:47/3rd – EV – Cassidy MacPherson, assisted by Chloe Gonsalves – Shot from Gonsalves at the point, tipped in front by MacPherson
Providence: Madison Myers, 4-2-2: 30 saves, 2 goals against
Princeton: Stephanie Neatby, 0-0-2: 37 saves, 2 goals against
Face-off percentage: 49.2% (29/59)
Power plays: 0-5 (0%)
Penalty kill: 3-4 (75%)
Face-off percentage: 50.8% (30/59)
Power plays: 1-4 (25%)
Penalty kill: 5-5 (100%)
PC GAME HIGHS
Shots: Brooke Boquist (6)
Goals: Cassidy MacPherson (2)
Assists: Three different players (1)
The Friars return to Hockey East play for a home-and-home series with Northeastern next weekend. At 2:00 p.m. on Saturday, Northeastern comes to Schneider Arena for the Friars’ annual Skating Strides game. On Sunday, Providence travels to Matthews Arena for a 2:00 p.m. game.
For more updates on the Providence women’s hockey program, follow the team on Twitter @PCWHockey.
- GO FRIARS -
Official StoreOfficial Online
Maureen Murphy Picks Up All-...
PROVIDENCE, R.I. – Maureen Murphy (Buffalo, N.Y.) of the Providence College women’s ice hockey team was named a New England All-Star by the New...
Seven Friars Named to...
Seven Friars comprise the 16-member inaugural class of the Rhode Island Hockey Hall of Fame.
Murphy, Friesen and Deraney ...
BOSTON, Mass. – Maureen Murphy (Buffalo, N.Y.), Kate Friesen (Altona, Manitoba) and head coach Bob Deraney were recognized at the annual Hockey East...
Maureen Murphy Collects...
PROVIDENCE, R.I. – Maureen Murphy (Buffalo, N.Y.) of the Providence College women’s ice hockey team was unanimously selected to the Hockey East...
Women's Hockey Falls in Game...
The Providence College women's hockey team fell to the University of Connecticut in heartbreaking fashion on Sunday, Feb. 25 in the Hockey East Quarterfinal ...
Women's Hockey Blanked by UConn
The Providence College women's hockey team fell to the University of Connecticut by a score of 3-0 in the second game of the Hockey East Quarterfinals on Feb...
Women's Hockey Downs UConn...
The Providence College women's hockey team defeated the University of Connecticut in Hockey East Quarterfinal action on Friday night (Feb. 23). The Friars...
Women's Hockey Game Notes vs...
The second-seeded Friars host the seventh-seeded UConn Huskies in the Hockey East Quarterfinals. Games are set for Friday, Feb. 23 (7:00 p.m.), Saturday, Feb...