PRINCETON, N.J. -
The Providence College women’s ice hockey team tied the Princeton Tigers, 2-2, on Friday night at Hobey Baker Rink in Princeton, N.J.
Providence – 2 | Princeton – 2
Providence: 4-2-1 (1-0-0 HE) | Princeton: 0-0-1 (0-0-0 ECAC)
Hobey Baker Rink – Princeton, N.J.
GAME FLOW & NOTES
- Princeton’s Carly Bullock struck first at the 7:07 mark of the first period. She stickhandled through the slot and was able to beat Madison Myers (Colchester, Vt) on the backhand.
- Christina Putigna (Grimsby, Ontario) leveled the score about five minutes later. She picked up a turnover near the blue line, skated in on goal and scored on the backhand. The unassisted, short-handed goal was her third of the season. It was also the first goal the Friars have scored on the penalty kill this season.
- Bullock scored her second of the game just 58 seconds into the second frame. She picked up the loose puck following a scramble in front of the net and was able to fire it home.
- The Friars had multiple good chances, including bids from Cassidy MacPherson (Oakville, Ontario) and Brooke Boquist (Thunder Bay, Ontario), in front of goal near the midway point of the second.
- Providence had about a minute and a half of 5x3 action early in the third period, but was unable to capitalize. Stephanie Neatby made several key saves for Princeton on the kill.
- Whitney Dove (Port Moody, British Columbia) tallied the equalizer for the Friars 9:19 into the third period. Her shot from the right point took a deflection in front and found the back of the net. MacPherson and Blair Parent (Blaine, Minn.) picked up the assists on the play.
- MacPherson’s assist marked her fifth of the season. She has picked up assists in each of the last three games.
- The game was the Friars’ second consecutive overtime contest and first tie of the season.
HOW THEY SCORED
1-0 (Princeton) – 7:07/1st – EV – Carly Bullock, assisted by Annie MacDonald and Kimiko Marinacci – Stickhandled through the slot and scored on the backhand
1-1 (Providence) – 12:49/1st – SH – Christina Putigna – Skated in from blue line and scored on the backhand
2-1 (Princeton) – 0:58/2nd – EV – Carly Bullock, assisted by Karlie Lund and MacKenzie Ebel – Rebound goal on a scramble in front
2-2 (Providence) – 9:19/3rd – EV – Whitney Dove, assisted by Cassidy MacPherson and Blair Parent – Shot from the right point
Providence: Madison Myers, 4-2-1: 29 saves, 2 goals against
Princeton: Stephanie Neatby, 0-0-1: 33 saves, 2 goals against
Face-off percentage: 54.5% (36/66)
Power plays: 0-5 (0%)
Penalty kill: 4-4 (0%)
Face-off percentage: 45.5% (30/66)
Power plays: 0-4 (0%)
Penalty kill: 5-5 (100%)
PC GAME HIGHS
Shots: Brooke Boquist (11)
Goals: Christina Putigna and Whitney Dove (1)
Assists: Cassidy MacPherson and Blair Parent (1)
The Friars continue the series at Princeton’s Hobey Baker Rink with a game tomorrow (Oct. 21) at 3:00 p.m.
For more updates on the Providence women’s hockey program, follow the team on Twitter @PCWHockey.
- GO FRIARS -
Official StoreOfficial Online
#7 Women’s Hockey...
The No. 7 Providence College women’s hockey team fell to Boston University by a score of 5-1 at Walter Brown Arena on Jan. 12.
#7 Women's Hockey Game Notes...
The Friars are set to face Boston University in a home-and-home series this weekend. The teams clash on Friday, Jan. 12 at 7:00 p.m. at Walter Brown Arena...
Women's Hockey Announces...
The Providence College and University of New Hampshire women’s hockey programs are excited to announce an alumni-giving challenge to benefit the...
#8/9 Women’s Hockey...
The No. 8/9 Providence College women’s hockey team skated to a 1-1 tie at the University of Vermont on Jan. 7.
#8/9 Women’s Hockey...
Brooke Boquist (Thunder Bay, Ontario) and Meaghan Rickard (Coventry, R.I.) led the no. 8/9 Providence College women’s hockey team to a 4-1 victory at...
Women’s Hockey Jan. 13...
It was announced on Friday (Jan. 5) that the Providence College women’s hockey team’s game against Boston University on Jan. 13 will now start at...
#8/9 Women's Hockey Game...
The Friars are set to resume Hockey East play with a weekend series at the University of Vermont. Puck drop is set for 4:00 p.m. on Saturday, Jan. 6 and 2:00...
Maureen Murphy Named Hockey ...
Maureen Murphy (Buffalo, N.Y.) of the Providence College women’s ice hockey team was named the Hockey East Pro Ambitions Rookie of the Month for the...