PROVIDENCE, R.I. - The Providence College women’s ice hockey team defeated the University of Vermont, 6-2, in the Hockey East opener at Schneider Arena on Sunday afternoon.
Providence – 6 | Vermont – 2
Providence: 2-0-0 (1-0-0 HE) | Vermont: 0-1-0 (0-1-0 HE)
Schneider Arena – Providence, R.I.
GAME FLOW & NOTES
- Brooke Boquist (Thunder Bay, Ontario) put the Friars on the board just 3:21 into the first period. She picked up a rebound from Kathleen McHugh’s (Billerica, Mass.) shot and fired it home from the left side of the crease. Christina Putigna (Grimsby, Ontario) recorded the secondary assist.
- The Catamounts leveled the score at the 13:13 mark of the first period. Val Caldwell streaked down the boards and took a shot from below the left circle, which squeaked through the pads of Madison Myers (Colchester, Vt.).
- Vermont took the lead early in the second period on a rebound goal from Daria O’Neill. Saana Valkama and Eve Audrey Picard picked up assists on the play.
- Putigna responded with a goal at the 7:53 mark. She shoved home a puck on the left side of the net for her second goal of the season.
- Meaghan Rickard (Coventry, R.I.) picked up an unassisted goal on a breakaway about six minutes later to give the Friars a 3-2 lead.
- Freshman Hayley Lunny scored her first career goal with under four minutes remaining in the period. Putigna and Avery Fransoo (North Battleford, Saskatchewan) earned assists.
- The Friars at the 3:21 mark again to start off the third period. McHugh’s wrist shot from the slot found the back of the net. Putigna and Rachel Rockwell (Broadview Heights, Ohio) notched assists.
- Whitney Dove (Port Moody, British Columbia) joined the scoring party with the Friars’ sixth goal. Dove and Emily Landry (Orangeville, Ontario) put together a nice give-and-go play that resulted in the goal.
- Six different players scored in Sunday’s win. Through two regular season games, ten different players have scored goals.
- Fifteen of the eighteen Friars who have dressed so far this season have earned at least a point.
HOW THEY SCORED
1-0 (Providence) – 3:21/1st – EV – Brooke Boquist, assisted by Kathleen McHugh and Christina Putigna – Rebound goal from the left side of the net
1-1 (UVM) – 13:13/1st – EV – Val Caldwell (unassisted) – Wrist shot from below the left circle
1-2 (UVM) – 3:59/2nd – EV – Daria O’Neill, assisted by Saana Valkama and Eve Audrey Picard – Rebound goal
2-2 (Providence) – 7:53/2nd – Christina Putigna, assisted by Kate Friesen and Cassidy MacPherson – Pushed home a loose puck on the left side of the net
3-2 (Providence) – 13:56/2nd – Meaghan Rickard (unassisted) – Breakaway goal
4-2 (Providence) – 16:14/2nd – Hayley Lunny, assisted by Christina Putigna and Avery Fransoo – Tap in from the top of the crease
5-2 (Providence) – 3:21/3rd – Kathleen McHugh, assisted by Christina Putigna and Rachel Rockwell – Wrist shot from the slot
6-2 (Providence) – 11:27/3rd – Whitney Dove, assisted by Emily Landry – Give-and-go play through the slot
Providence: Madison Myers, 2-0-0: 11 saves, 2 goals against
Vermont: Melissa Black, 0-1-0: 45 saves, 6 goals against
Face-off percentage: 51.7% (31/60)
Power plays: 0-6 (0%)
Penalty kill: 100% (2-2)
Face-off percentage: 48.3% (29/60)
Power plays: 0-2
Penalty kill: 100% (6-6)
PC GAME HIGHS
Shots: Brooke Boquist (9)
Goals: Six different players (1)
Assists: Christina Putigna (3)
Points: Christina Putigna (4)
The Friars play a home-and-home series with Quinnipiac next weekend. On Friday, the Friars host the Bobcats at 7:00 p.m. On Saturday, the game is set for 4:00 p.m. in Hamden, Conn.
For more updates on the Providence women’s hockey program, follow the team on Twitter @PCWHockey.
- GO FRIARS -
Official StoreOfficial Online
Providence College Women's...
The Providence College women’s ice hockey team fell to Syracuse University, 2-1, on Friday afternoon at Tennity Ice Pavilion.
Women's Hockey Notes vs....
The Friars play two road games at Syracuse this weekend. First, the teams face-off on Friday afternoon at 3:00 p.m. The second game of the series is on...
Women's Hockey Shutout at...
The Providence College women’s ice hockey team fell to the Quinnipiac Bobcats by a score of 1-0 on Saturday afternoon in Hamden, Conn.
Women's Hockey Tops Quinnipiac
The Providence College women’s ice hockey team defeated Quinnipiac University, 3-1, in Friday night’s non-conference game at Schneider Arena.
Women's Ice Hockey Game...
The Friars play a home-and-home series with the Quinnipiac Bobcats this weekend. Friday night’s game is at Schneider Arena at 7:00 p.m. Saturday’...
Whitney Dove Named Hockey...
Whitney Dove (Port Moody, British Columbia) of the Providence College women’s ice hockey team was named the Hockey East Defensive Player of the Week on...
Women's Hockey Tops Vermont
The Providence College women’s ice hockey team defeated the University of Vermont, 6-2, in the Hockey East opener at Schneider Arena on Sunday afternoon.
Seven Different Friars Score...
The Providence College women’s ice hockey team defeated the Union College Dutchwomen, 7-3, on Friday night at Messa Rink.