PROVIDENCE, R.I. -
The Providence College women’s ice hockey team defeated Laurentian University, 3-2, in Saturday afternoon’s exhibition game at Schneider Arena.
Providence – 3 | Laurentian – 2
Schneider Arena – Providence, R.I.
GAME FLOW & NOTES
- Sophomore Meaghan Rickard (Coventry, R.I.) scored for the Friars on the first shot of the game. She slipped the shot through the five-hole of goaltender Karen Collins. Blair Parent (Blaine, Minn.) picked up the assist on the play.
- Maureen Murphy (Buffalo, N.Y.) extended the lead to two mid-way through the second period. The freshman corralled the puck near center ice, skated in and put a shot over Collins’ glove that went bar-down. Whitney Dove (Port Moody, British Columbia) earned the assist.
- Less than five minutes later, Laurentian got on the board. Sophomore defender Regan Toltesi picked up the loose puck in front of goal and put it away.
- In the closing minutes of the second period, Parent recorded a goal of her own. Rickard played a cross-ice pass onto the stick of Parent who shifted to her backhand and scored right in front of goal. Cassidy MacPherson was awarded the secondary assist.
- Morgan McCann pulled the Voyageurs back within a goal mid-way through the third period. Her shot from the right circle went over the shoulder of Madison Myers (Colchester, Vt.) with 9:38 remaining in the game.
- The Friars outshot the Voyageurs 42-12 in the game.
HOW THEY SCORED
1-0 (Providence) – 1:34/1st – EV – Meaghan Rickard, assisted by Blair Parent – Partial breakaway
2-0 (Providence) – 9:56/2nd – EV – Maureen Murphy, assisted by Whitney Dove – Shot from the right circle over Collins’
2-1 (Laurentian) – 14:18/2nd – EV – Regan Toltesi, assisted by Myla McCormick and Natalie Lamarche – Finished loose puck off rebound
3-1 (Providence – 18:32/2nd – EV – Blair Parent, assisted by Meaghan Rickard and Cassidy MacPherson – Cross-ice pass by Rickard to Parent alone in front of goal, back-hand finish
3-2 (Laurentian) – 10:22/3rd – EV – Morgan McCann, assisted by Marie-Pierre Pelissou – High shot from the right circle
Providence: Madison Myers: 10 saves, 2 goals against
Laurentian: Karen Collins: 39 saves, 3 goals against
Face-off percentage: 64.5% (40/62)
Power plays: 0-4
Penalty kill: 100% (3-3)
Face-off percentage: 35.5% (22/62)
Power plays: 0-3
Penalty kill: 100% (4-4)
PC GAME HIGHS
Shots: Brooke Boquist (6)
Points: Meaghan Rickard (2) and Blair Parent (2)
The Friars open up regular season play on Friday at Union College. Puck drop is set for 6:00 p.m. in Schenectady, N.Y.
For more updates on the Providence women’s hockey program, follow the team on Twitter @PCWHockey.
- GO FRIARS -
Official StoreOfficial Online
Providence College Women's...
The Providence College women’s ice hockey team fell to Syracuse University, 2-1, on Friday afternoon at Tennity Ice Pavilion.
Women's Hockey Notes vs....
The Friars play two road games at Syracuse this weekend. First, the teams face-off on Friday afternoon at 3:00 p.m. The second game of the series is on...
Women's Hockey Shutout at...
The Providence College women’s ice hockey team fell to the Quinnipiac Bobcats by a score of 1-0 on Saturday afternoon in Hamden, Conn.
Women's Hockey Tops Quinnipiac
The Providence College women’s ice hockey team defeated Quinnipiac University, 3-1, in Friday night’s non-conference game at Schneider Arena.
Women's Ice Hockey Game...
The Friars play a home-and-home series with the Quinnipiac Bobcats this weekend. Friday night’s game is at Schneider Arena at 7:00 p.m. Saturday’...
Whitney Dove Named Hockey...
Whitney Dove (Port Moody, British Columbia) of the Providence College women’s ice hockey team was named the Hockey East Defensive Player of the Week on...
Women's Hockey Tops Vermont
The Providence College women’s ice hockey team defeated the University of Vermont, 6-2, in the Hockey East opener at Schneider Arena on Sunday afternoon.
Seven Different Friars Score...
The Providence College women’s ice hockey team defeated the Union College Dutchwomen, 7-3, on Friday night at Messa Rink.