PROVIDENCE, R.I. – The Providence College women’s hockey team defeated the Northeastern University Huskies, 1-0, in the 2017-18 regular season finale on Sunday, Feb. 18 at Schneider Arena.
Providence – 1 | Northeastern – 0
Providence: 16-11-7 (12-7-5 HE) | Northeastern: 15-16-3 (11-11-2 HE)
Schneider Arena – Providence, R.I.
GAME FLOW & NOTES
- The Huskies held a 13-2 advantage in shots after the first period. Madison Myers (Colchester, Vt.) made 13 saves, including four on a flurry in the crease during the Huskies’ lone power play opportunity of the period.
- Cassidy MacPherson (Oakville, Ontario) got the Friars on the board at the 11:32 mark of the middle frame. Blair Parent (Blaine, Minn.) played the puck up the boards to MacPherson. She then had a give-and-go sequence with Kathleen McHugh (Billerica, Mass.) and eventually got the puck back for a tap-in at the back post.
- MacPherson’s goal was her fifth of the year. Parent recorded her 50th career point with the assist and now has nine helpers this season. McHugh picked up her second assist of the season and fourth point.
- The Friars took penalty number five of the day early in the third period. The Huskies managed seven shots, but Providence was there to block six of them.
- The Huskies kept the pressure on for the remainder of the period but were unable to score. Myers finished the day with 35 saves. Today marks her third shutout of the season and sixth of her career.
- Maureen Murphy (Buffalo, N.Y.) was hauled down on the breakaway with just over a minute to play in regulation. She was awarded a penalty shot, but the Friars elected to take the two-minute power play instead. Northeastern pulled Frankel to make it 5-on-5, but the Friars were able to close out the game and preserve the shutout.
- With the win, the Friars swept the season series with Northeastern, 3-0.
HOW THEY SCORED
1-0 (Providence) – 11:32/2nd – EV – Cassidy MacPherson, assisted by Kathleen McHugh and Blair Parent – Give-and-go passing sequence leading to a tap-in in front
Providence: Madison Myers, 15-10-7: 35 saves, 0 goals against, 3rd shutout of the season
Northeastern: Aerin Frankel, 6-7-2: 19 saves, 1 goal against
Face-off percentage: 32/59
Power plays: 0-2 (0%)
Penalty kill: 5-5 (100%)
Power plays: 0-5 (0%)
Penalty kill: 2-2 (100%)
PC GAME HIGHS
Shots: Kate Friesen (5)
Goals: Cassidy MacPherson (1)
Assists: Kathleen McHugh, Blair Parent (1)
Points: Cassidy MacPherson, Kathleen McHugh and Blair Parent (1)
The Friars enter the playoffs as the second seed in Hockey East. Providence will host UConn in a best-of-three series next weekend. Games are set for Friday, Feb. 23 (7:00 p.m.), Saturday, Feb. 24 (7:00 p.m.) and Sunday, Feb. 25 (4:00 p.m. – if needed).
For more updates on the Providence women’s hockey program, follow the team on Twitter and Instagram @PCWHockey.
- GO FRIARS -
Official StoreOfficial Online
Maureen Murphy Picks Up All-...
PROVIDENCE, R.I. – Maureen Murphy (Buffalo, N.Y.) of the Providence College women’s ice hockey team was named a New England All-Star by the New...
Seven Friars Named to...
Seven Friars comprise the 16-member inaugural class of the Rhode Island Hockey Hall of Fame.
Murphy, Friesen and Deraney ...
BOSTON, Mass. – Maureen Murphy (Buffalo, N.Y.), Kate Friesen (Altona, Manitoba) and head coach Bob Deraney were recognized at the annual Hockey East...
Maureen Murphy Collects...
PROVIDENCE, R.I. – Maureen Murphy (Buffalo, N.Y.) of the Providence College women’s ice hockey team was unanimously selected to the Hockey East...
Women's Hockey Falls in Game...
The Providence College women's hockey team fell to the University of Connecticut in heartbreaking fashion on Sunday, Feb. 25 in the Hockey East Quarterfinal ...
Women's Hockey Blanked by UConn
The Providence College women's hockey team fell to the University of Connecticut by a score of 3-0 in the second game of the Hockey East Quarterfinals on Feb...
Women's Hockey Downs UConn...
The Providence College women's hockey team defeated the University of Connecticut in Hockey East Quarterfinal action on Friday night (Feb. 23). The Friars...
Women's Hockey Game Notes vs...
The second-seeded Friars host the seventh-seeded UConn Huskies in the Hockey East Quarterfinals. Games are set for Friday, Feb. 23 (7:00 p.m.), Saturday, Feb...