PROVIDENCE, R.I. – The Providence College women’s hockey team defeated #9 University of Maine, 2-1, in overtime on Feb. 11 at Schneider Arena. Maureen Murphy (Buffalo, N.Y.) scored both goals for the Friars.
Providence – 2 | No. 9 Maine – 1
Providence: 15-11-7 (11-7-5 HE) | Maine: 17-10-5 (11-7-4 HE)
Schneider Arena – Providence, R.I.
GAME FLOW & NOTES
- The first period featured back-and-forth action with few clear-cut chances for either team. The Friars led 7-5 in shots after the opening frame.
- Madison Myers (Colchester, Vt.) opened the second period with a series of six saves to keep the Black Bears off the board. She ended up making 18 total saves in the middle stanza.
- Catherine Tufts put the Black Bears up 1-0 at the 7:03 mark of the third with a goal very similar to her tally yesterday. Mikayla Rogers played a saucer pass up-ice to Cailey Hutchinson. Hutchinson then skated down the left boards and tossed the puck in front for a redirection by Tufts at the top of the crease.
- Maureen Murphy tied the game up at 1-1 with a beautiful short-handed goal. With just under seven minutes remaining in regulation, she skated down on a one-on-one, edged her defender and placed a backhander perfectly over the shoulder of Carly Jackson.
- Murphy’s goal was her team-leading 18th of the year and her fourth short-handed goal this season.
- Murphy then lifted the Friars to victory with a breakaway goal 2:57 into the overtime frame. She skated in alone on Jackson and pushed the puck right under her pads for the win.
- The Friars concluded the regular season series against Maine with a 1-0-2 record.
- Today’s win clinched home ice for the Hockey East quarterfinal series. Games will be played at Schneider Arena on Friday, Feb. 23, Saturday, Feb. 24 and Sunday, Feb. 25, if needed.
HOW THEY SCORED
1-0 (Maine) – 7:03/3rd – EV – Catherine Tufts, assisted Cailey Hutchinson and Mikayla Rogers – Pass from the left boards for a redirection at the top of the crease
1-1 (Providence) – 13:05/3rd – SH – Maureen Murphy (unassisted) – Backhand to the top shelf on the one-on-one rush
2-1 (Providence) – 2:57/OT – EV – Maureen Murphy (unassisted) – Breakaway goal
Providence: Madison Myers, 14-10-7: 29 saves, 1 goal against
Maine: Carly Jackson, 15-9-5: 26 saves, 2 goals against
Face-off percentage: 30/65
Power plays: 0-3 (0%)
Penalty kill: 2-2 (100%)
Power plays: 0-2 (0%)
Penalty kill: 3-3 (100%)
PC GAME HIGHS
Shots: Maureen Murphy (7)
Goals: Maureen Murphy (2)
Points: Maureen Murphy (2)
The Friars close out the regular season on Sunday, Feb. 18 when they welcome the Northeastern Huskies for Senior Night.
For more updates on the Providence women’s hockey program, follow the team on Twitter and Instagram @PCWHockey.
- GO FRIARS -
Official StoreOfficial Online
Seven Friars Named to...
Seven Friars comprise the 16-member inaugural class of the Rhode Island Hockey Hall of Fame.
Murphy, Friesen and Deraney ...
BOSTON, Mass. – Maureen Murphy (Buffalo, N.Y.), Kate Friesen (Altona, Manitoba) and head coach Bob Deraney were recognized at the annual Hockey East...
Maureen Murphy Collects...
PROVIDENCE, R.I. – Maureen Murphy (Buffalo, N.Y.) of the Providence College women’s ice hockey team was unanimously selected to the Hockey East...
Women's Hockey Falls in Game...
The Providence College women's hockey team fell to the University of Connecticut in heartbreaking fashion on Sunday, Feb. 25 in the Hockey East Quarterfinal ...
Women's Hockey Blanked by UConn
The Providence College women's hockey team fell to the University of Connecticut by a score of 3-0 in the second game of the Hockey East Quarterfinals on Feb...
Women's Hockey Downs UConn...
The Providence College women's hockey team defeated the University of Connecticut in Hockey East Quarterfinal action on Friday night (Feb. 23). The Friars...
Women's Hockey Game Notes vs...
The second-seeded Friars host the seventh-seeded UConn Huskies in the Hockey East Quarterfinals. Games are set for Friday, Feb. 23 (7:00 p.m.), Saturday, Feb...
Women’s Hockey East...
The Providence College women’s hockey team is set to host the UConn Huskies in a Hockey East Quarterfinal series from Feb. 23-25. Games are slated for ...