STORRS, Conn. – The No. 9 Providence College women’s hockey team tied the game late in the third period, but eventually fell to the University of Connecticut, 3-2, in overtime on Feb. 3 at Freitas Ice Forum.
No. 9 Providence – 2 | UConn – 3
Providence: 14-11-6 (10-7-4 HE) | UConn: 11-11-8 (5-10-5 HE)
Freitas Ice Forum – Storrs, Conn.
GAME FLOW & NOTES
- Brooke Boquist (Thunder Bay, Ontario) had one of the Friars’ best chances of the opening frame. She skated in alone on a short-handed breakaway, deked to the backhand and took a shot that Annie Belanger was just able to get a blocker on.
- Christina Putigna (Grimsby, Ontario) scored a power-play goal with 1:06 remaining in the opening frame. Boquist played the puck from behind the net onto Putigna’s stick and she was able to bury it in front. Whitney Dove (Port Moody, British Columbia) earned the secondary assist on the play.
- Providence killed off two consecutive power plays in the middle stages of the second period. UConn only mustered up three shots on goal during the four total minutes of man-advantage, but the Huskies gained significant momentum.
- Theresa Knutson tied the game at 1-1 with a goal at the 13:32 mark of the second period. Natalie Snodgrass took a shot from the point that Knutson tipped out of the air from in front. Tristyn Svetek tallied the secondary assist.
- Just under three minutes later, the Huskies struck again on a similar play. This time, Cydnee Cook took a shot from the left point and Lum redirected it. Madison Myers (Colchester, Vt.) saved the initial attempt, but Briana Colangelo buried the rebound to make it 2-1.
- Providence opened the final period with back-to-back power play opportunities. The Friars managed six shots on goal but were unable to convert.
- Kathleen McHugh (Billerica, Mass.) tied the game at 2-2 with 6:09 remaining in regulation. Her goal in front was assisted by Putigna and Boquist, who each picked up their second point of the day.
- The Friars and Huskies headed to overtime for the second time this season. On Dec. 1, the teams went to OT tied at 2-2 and finished in a tie.
- Colangelo struck again for UConn 2:27 into the extra time. Her overtime game-winner was assisted by Knutson.
HOW THEY SCORED
1-0 (Providence) – 18:54/1st – PP – Christina Putigna, assisted by Brooke Boquist and Whitney Dove – Pass from behind the net for a shot in front
1-1 (UConn) – 13:32/2nd – EV – Theresa Knutson, assisted by Natalie Snodgrass and Tristyn Svetek – Tip in front off a shot from the left point
2-1 (UConn) – 16:26/2nd – EV – Briana Colangelo, assisted by Cydnee Cook and Leah Lum – Shot from Cook, tipped in front by Lum, finished off the rebound by Colangelo
2-2 (Providence) – 13:51/3rd – EV – Kathleen McHugh, assisted by Christina Putigna and Brooke Boquist – Goal off a scrum in front
3-2 (UConn) – 2:27/OT – EV – Briana Colangelo, assisted by Theresa Knutson – Backhand in front
Providence: Madison Myers, 13-10-6: 23 saves, 3 goals against
UConn: Annie Belanger, 8-8-5: 36 saves, 2 goals against
Face-off percentage: 29/63
Power plays: 1-4 (25%)
Penalty kill: 4-4 (100%)
Power plays: 0-4 (0%)
Penalty kill: 3-4 (75%)
PC GAME HIGHS
Shots: Parent (7)
Goals: Putigna, McHugh (1)
Assists: Boquist (2)
Points: Boquist, Putigna (2)
The Friars return to Schneider Arena for the final three games of the regular season. Next weekend features two home games with Maine for Alumni and Family Weekend. The teams meet Saturday, Feb. 10 and Sunday Feb. 11 at 2:00 p.m.
For more updates on the Providence women’s hockey program, follow the team on Twitter and Instagram @PCWHockey.
- GO FRIARS -
Official StoreOfficial Online
Seven Friars Named to...
Seven Friars comprise the 16-member inaugural class of the Rhode Island Hockey Hall of Fame.
Murphy, Friesen and Deraney ...
BOSTON, Mass. – Maureen Murphy (Buffalo, N.Y.), Kate Friesen (Altona, Manitoba) and head coach Bob Deraney were recognized at the annual Hockey East...
Maureen Murphy Collects...
PROVIDENCE, R.I. – Maureen Murphy (Buffalo, N.Y.) of the Providence College women’s ice hockey team was unanimously selected to the Hockey East...
Women's Hockey Falls in Game...
The Providence College women's hockey team fell to the University of Connecticut in heartbreaking fashion on Sunday, Feb. 25 in the Hockey East Quarterfinal ...
Women's Hockey Blanked by UConn
The Providence College women's hockey team fell to the University of Connecticut by a score of 3-0 in the second game of the Hockey East Quarterfinals on Feb...
Women's Hockey Downs UConn...
The Providence College women's hockey team defeated the University of Connecticut in Hockey East Quarterfinal action on Friday night (Feb. 23). The Friars...
Women's Hockey Game Notes vs...
The second-seeded Friars host the seventh-seeded UConn Huskies in the Hockey East Quarterfinals. Games are set for Friday, Feb. 23 (7:00 p.m.), Saturday, Feb...
Women’s Hockey East...
The Providence College women’s hockey team is set to host the UConn Huskies in a Hockey East Quarterfinal series from Feb. 23-25. Games are slated for ...