STORRS, Conn. – The No. 9 Providence College women’s hockey team tied the game late in the third period, but eventually fell to the University of Connecticut, 3-2, in overtime on Feb. 3 at Freitas Ice Forum.
No. 9 Providence – 2 | UConn – 3
Providence: 14-11-6 (10-7-4 HE) | UConn: 11-11-8 (5-10-5 HE)
Freitas Ice Forum – Storrs, Conn.
GAME FLOW & NOTES
- Brooke Boquist (Thunder Bay, Ontario) had one of the Friars’ best chances of the opening frame. She skated in alone on a short-handed breakaway, deked to the backhand and took a shot that Annie Belanger was just able to get a blocker on.
- Christina Putigna (Grimsby, Ontario) scored a power-play goal with 1:06 remaining in the opening frame. Boquist played the puck from behind the net onto Putigna’s stick and she was able to bury it in front. Whitney Dove (Port Moody, British Columbia) earned the secondary assist on the play.
- Providence killed off two consecutive power plays in the middle stages of the second period. UConn only mustered up three shots on goal during the four total minutes of man-advantage, but the Huskies gained significant momentum.
- Theresa Knutson tied the game at 1-1 with a goal at the 13:32 mark of the second period. Natalie Snodgrass took a shot from the point that Knutson tipped out of the air from in front. Tristyn Svetek tallied the secondary assist.
- Just under three minutes later, the Huskies struck again on a similar play. This time, Cydnee Cook took a shot from the left point and Lum redirected it. Madison Myers (Colchester, Vt.) saved the initial attempt, but Briana Colangelo buried the rebound to make it 2-1.
- Providence opened the final period with back-to-back power play opportunities. The Friars managed six shots on goal but were unable to convert.
- Kathleen McHugh (Billerica, Mass.) tied the game at 2-2 with 6:09 remaining in regulation. Her goal in front was assisted by Putigna and Boquist, who each picked up their second point of the day.
- The Friars and Huskies headed to overtime for the second time this season. On Dec. 1, the teams went to OT tied at 2-2 and finished in a tie.
- Colangelo struck again for UConn 2:27 into the extra time. Her overtime game-winner was assisted by Knutson.
HOW THEY SCORED
1-0 (Providence) – 18:54/1st – PP – Christina Putigna, assisted by Brooke Boquist and Whitney Dove – Pass from behind the net for a shot in front
1-1 (UConn) – 13:32/2nd – EV – Theresa Knutson, assisted by Natalie Snodgrass and Tristyn Svetek – Tip in front off a shot from the left point
2-1 (UConn) – 16:26/2nd – EV – Briana Colangelo, assisted by Cydnee Cook and Leah Lum – Shot from Cook, tipped in front by Lum, finished off the rebound by Colangelo
2-2 (Providence) – 13:51/3rd – EV – Kathleen McHugh, assisted by Christina Putigna and Brooke Boquist – Goal off a scrum in front
3-2 (UConn) – 2:27/OT – EV – Briana Colangelo, assisted by Theresa Knutson – Backhand in front
Providence: Madison Myers, 13-10-6: 23 saves, 3 goals against
UConn: Annie Belanger, 8-8-5: 36 saves, 2 goals against
Face-off percentage: 29/63
Power plays: 1-4 (25%)
Penalty kill: 4-4 (100%)
Power plays: 0-4 (0%)
Penalty kill: 3-4 (75%)
PC GAME HIGHS
Shots: Parent (7)
Goals: Putigna, McHugh (1)
Assists: Boquist (2)
Points: Boquist, Putigna (2)
The Friars return to Schneider Arena for the final three games of the regular season. Next weekend features two home games with Maine for Alumni and Family Weekend. The teams meet Saturday, Feb. 10 and Sunday Feb. 11 at 2:00 p.m.
For more updates on the Providence women’s hockey program, follow the team on Twitter and Instagram @PCWHockey.
- GO FRIARS -
Official StoreOfficial Online
Former Friar Genevieve...
Former Providence College women’s hockey goaltender Genevieve Lacasse ’12 turned in a 44-save performance on Feb. 14 to help Canada defeat the...
Maureen Murphy Named Hockey ...
Maureen Murphy (Buffalo, N.Y.) of the Providence College women’s ice hockey team was named the Hockey East Pro Ambitions Rookie of the Week for the...
Maureen Murphy Lifts Women's...
The Providence College women's hockey team defeated #9 University of Maine, 2-1, in overtime on Feb. 11 at Schneider Arena. Maureen Murphy (Buffalo, N.Y.)...
Women's Hockey Battles to 1-...
The Providence College women's hockey team battled to a 1-1 draw with #9 University of Maine on Feb. 10 at Schneider Arena.
Women's Hockey Game Notes vs...
The Friars host the #9 University of Maine Black Bears for Alumni and Family Weekend. Games are set for Saturday, Feb. 10 and Sunday, Feb. 11 at 2:00 p.m....
#9 Women's Hockey Downed in ...
The No. 9 Providence College women's hockey team tied the game late in the third period, but eventually fell to the University of Connecticut, 3-2, in...
#9 Providence College Women'...
The No. 9 Providence College women's hockey team fell to the Merrimack College Warriors by a score of 4-1 on Friday night at Schneider Arena.
#9 Women's Hockey Game Notes...
The Friars face Merrimack College at home on Friday night (Feb. 2) at 7:00 p.m. The game, which will be played at Schneider Arena is the team’s Mental ...