PROVIDENCE, R.I. – The No. 10 Providence College women’s hockey team fell to the No. 3/2 Boston College Eagles by a score of 3-2 on Saturday afternoon (Jan. 27) at Schneider Arena.
No. 10 Providence – 2 | No. 3/2 Boston College – 3
Providence: 14-9-6 (10-5-4 HE) | Boston College: 24-2-3 (17-1-3 HE)
Schneider Arena – Providence, R.I.
GAME FLOW & NOTES
- The 0-0 score line after one matched yesterday. The Eagles edged the Friars 11-8 in first-period shots. Madison Myers (Colchester, Vt.) stopped all 11 shots she faced, including a short-handed breakaway bid for Caitrin Lonergan.
- Longergan got BC on the board just 1:48 into the second period. She took a shot from the high slot on the power play that beat Myers. Serena Sommerfield and Caroline Ross earned assists on Longergan’s 27th goal of the year.
- Freshman Daryl Watts continued the special teams scoring with a shorthanded goal at the 4:28 mark. She broke up a play near center ice, skated in on the 2-on-1 and sniped the top corner over Myers’ blocker.
- Late in the second period, the Friars had an excellent two minutes of power play time. Providence managed to get seven shots on goal, forcing Burt to make several key saves.
- Merely 17 seconds into the third frame, Christina Putigna (Grimsby, Ontario) tallied a short-handed goal for the Friars. She broke up the Eagles’ play with a strong forecheck, skated in alone and beat Katie Burt on the backhand.
- Putigna’s goal, which was unassisted, broke the Friars’ nine period scoreless streak.
- At the midpoint of the third period, freshman Chloe Gonsalves (Toronto, Ontario) tied the game at two. She took a shot from the point that found its way through traffic and into the back of the net. Blair Parent (Blaine, Minn.) and Maureen Murphy (Buffalo, N.Y.) assisted Gonsalves’ second career goal.
- Watts won the game for the Eagles with a goal at the 16:27 mark of the third. Her second of the day came from the right circle and was assisted by Tori Ann Miano and Kenzie Kent.
- All five goals in today’s game came during special teams play.
HOW THEY SCORED
1-0 (BC) – 1:48/2nd – PP –Caitrin Lonergan, assisted by Serena Sommerfield and Caroline Ross – Wrist shot from the high slot
2-0 (BC) – 4:28/2nd – SH – Daryl Watts (unassisted) – Broke up the play near center ice, skated in on the 2-on-1 and sniped top left
2-1 (PC) – 0:17/3rd – SH – Christina Putigna (unassisted) – Stole the puck on the forecheck, walked in alone and scored on the backhand
2-2 (PC) – 9:58/3rd – PP – Chloe Gonsalves, assisted by Blair Parent and Maureen Murphy – Shot from the point through traffic
3-2 (BC) – X/3rd – PP – Daryl Watts, assisted by Tori Ann Miano and Kenzie Kent – Shot from the right circle
Providence: Madison Myers, 13-8-6: 25 saves, 3 goals against
Boston College: Katie Burt, 24-2-3: 29 saves, 2 goals against
Face-off percentage: 33/70
Power plays: 1-7 (14.3%)
Penalty kill: 5-7 (71.4%)
Power plays: 2-7 (28.6%)
Penalty kill: 6-7 (85.7%)
PC GAME HIGHS
Shots: Murphy (8)
Goals: Putigna, Gonsalves (1)
Assists: Parent, Murphy (1)
Points: Putigna, Gonsalves, Parent, Murphy (1)
The Friars host Merrimack next Friday night (Feb. 2) at 7:00 p.m. and then travel to UConn on Saturday (Feb. 3) for a 3:00 p.m. puck drop at Freitas Ice Forum.
For more updates on the Providence women’s hockey program, follow the team on Twitter and Instagram @PCWHockey.
- GO FRIARS -
Official StoreOfficial Online
Former Friar Genevieve...
Former Providence College women’s hockey goaltender Genevieve Lacasse ’12 turned in a 44-save performance on Feb. 14 to help Canada defeat the...
Maureen Murphy Named Hockey ...
Maureen Murphy (Buffalo, N.Y.) of the Providence College women’s ice hockey team was named the Hockey East Pro Ambitions Rookie of the Week for the...
Maureen Murphy Lifts Women's...
The Providence College women's hockey team defeated #9 University of Maine, 2-1, in overtime on Feb. 11 at Schneider Arena. Maureen Murphy (Buffalo, N.Y.)...
Women's Hockey Battles to 1-...
The Providence College women's hockey team battled to a 1-1 draw with #9 University of Maine on Feb. 10 at Schneider Arena.
Women's Hockey Game Notes vs...
The Friars host the #9 University of Maine Black Bears for Alumni and Family Weekend. Games are set for Saturday, Feb. 10 and Sunday, Feb. 11 at 2:00 p.m....
#9 Women's Hockey Downed in ...
The No. 9 Providence College women's hockey team tied the game late in the third period, but eventually fell to the University of Connecticut, 3-2, in...
#9 Providence College Women'...
The No. 9 Providence College women's hockey team fell to the Merrimack College Warriors by a score of 4-1 on Friday night at Schneider Arena.
#9 Women's Hockey Game Notes...
The Friars face Merrimack College at home on Friday night (Feb. 2) at 7:00 p.m. The game, which will be played at Schneider Arena is the team’s Mental ...