CHESTNUT HILL, Mass. – The No. 10 Providence College women’s hockey team fell to the No. 3/2 Boston College Eagles by a score of 5-0 on Friday night (Jan. 26) at Conte Forum.
No. 10 Providence – 0 | No. 3/2 Boston College – 5
Providence: 14-8-6 (10-4-4 HE) | Boston College: 23-2-3 (16-1-3 HE)
Conte Forum – Chestnut Hill, Mass.
GAME FLOW & NOTES
- The Eagles outshot the Friars 8-5 in the opening frame.
- The Friars were able to kill off two penalties in the first period. The Eagles entered the game fourth in the nation in power play percentage (25.4%).
- Brooke Boquist (Thunder Bay, Ontario) had a short-handed breakaway opportunity near the midpoint of second. Burt was able to slide across and deny Boquist with one of her 12 second-period saves.
- Freshman Daryl Watts scored her 32nd goal of the season with just over five minutes remaining in the middle frame. She ripped a wrist shot over Madison Myers’ (Colchester, Vt.) shoulder from just above the goal line to give the Eagles a 1-0 lead.
- Caitrin Lonergan and Willow Corson picked up their 36th and 14th assists, respectively.
- 5:52 into the third, junior Serena Sommerfield extended BC’s lead. She took a shot from the point that deflected off a defender in front. Caroline Ross and Makenna Newkirk earned the assists.
- Less than three minutes later, Newkirk tallied a goal of her own. Ross took a shot from the point that Newkirk redirected past Myers. Maegan Beres notched the secondary assist.
- Boston College continued its scoring ways with a goal at the 13:11 mark from Ryan Little. Erin Connolly played a cross-ice pass that deflected off the stick of Delaney Belinskas. Little was then able to finish in front.
- The Friars made a goaltending change with 6:29 left to play. Senior Alanna Serviss (Chicago, Ill.) made her season debut and finished the game with three saves.
- Little scored again with under two minutes remaining. This time, her goal came on the power play from the right-side boards. Grace Bizal earned the assist.
- The Friars have now been held scoreless for two straight games and seven total periods of play.
HOW THEY SCORED
1-0 (BC) – 14:19/2nd – EV – Daryl Watts, assisted by Caitrin Lonergan and Willow Corson – Wrist shot over Myers’ shoulder from just above the goal line
2-0 (BC) – 5:52/3rd – EV – Serena Sommerfield, assisted by Caroline Ross and Makenna Newkirk – Deflection off defender after Sommerfield’s shot from the point
3-0 (BC) – 8:13/3rd – EV – Makenna Newkirk, assisted by Caroline Ross and Maegan Beres – Shot from the point by Ross, redirected in front by Newkirk
4-0 (BC) – 13:11/3rd – EV – Ryan Little, assisted by Delaney Belinskas and Erin Connolly – Cross-ice pass from Connolly, deflection off Belinskas, finished in front by little
5-0 (BC) – 18:07/3rd – PP – Ryan Little, assisted by Grace Bizal – Shot from the right side boards
Providence: Madison Myers, 13-7-6: 23 saves, 4 goals against and Alanna Serviss: 3 saves, 1 goal against
Boston College: Katie Burt, 23-2-3: 25 saves, 0 goals against
Face-off percentage: 26/51
Power plays: 0-3 (0%)
Penalty kill: 5-6 (83.3%)
Power plays: 1-6 (16.7%)
Penalty kill: 3-3 (100%)
PC GAME HIGHS
Shots: Putigna (8)
The Friars wrap up the regular-season series with Boston College tomorrow (Jan. 27) at 2:00 p.m. at Schneider Arena.
For more updates on the Providence women’s hockey program, follow the team on Twitter and Instagram @PCWHockey.
- GO FRIARS -
Official StoreOfficial Online
Seven Friars Named to...
Seven Friars comprise the 16-member inaugural class of the Rhode Island Hockey Hall of Fame.
Murphy, Friesen and Deraney ...
BOSTON, Mass. – Maureen Murphy (Buffalo, N.Y.), Kate Friesen (Altona, Manitoba) and head coach Bob Deraney were recognized at the annual Hockey East...
Maureen Murphy Collects...
PROVIDENCE, R.I. – Maureen Murphy (Buffalo, N.Y.) of the Providence College women’s ice hockey team was unanimously selected to the Hockey East...
Women's Hockey Falls in Game...
The Providence College women's hockey team fell to the University of Connecticut in heartbreaking fashion on Sunday, Feb. 25 in the Hockey East Quarterfinal ...
Women's Hockey Blanked by UConn
The Providence College women's hockey team fell to the University of Connecticut by a score of 3-0 in the second game of the Hockey East Quarterfinals on Feb...
Women's Hockey Downs UConn...
The Providence College women's hockey team defeated the University of Connecticut in Hockey East Quarterfinal action on Friday night (Feb. 23). The Friars...
Women's Hockey Game Notes vs...
The second-seeded Friars host the seventh-seeded UConn Huskies in the Hockey East Quarterfinals. Games are set for Friday, Feb. 23 (7:00 p.m.), Saturday, Feb...
Women’s Hockey East...
The Providence College women’s hockey team is set to host the UConn Huskies in a Hockey East Quarterfinal series from Feb. 23-25. Games are slated for ...