DURHAM, N.H. – The No. 8 Providence College women’s hockey team played to a 2-2 stalemate at the Whittemore Center on Friday night (Jan. 19).
No. 8 Providence – 2 | New Hampshire – 2
Providence: 14-6-6 (10-2-4 HE) | New Hampshire: 10-10-6 (7-7-4 HE)
Whittemore Center – Durham, N.H.
GAME FLOW & NOTES
- Brooke Boquist (Thunder Bay, Ontario) got the Friars on the board with under three minutes to play in the first period. Rachel Rockwell (Broadview Heights, Ohio) broke up the play in the defensive zone and Maureen Murphy (Buffalo, N.Y.) sent a pass to Boquist who skated in on a partial breakaway. She fired the puck past Ava Boutilier’s glove for her 14th goal of the season.
- Boquist has scored in the Friars’ last three games, while Rockwell has picked up an assist in four of the last five games.
- Neve Van Pelt (Mitchell, Ontario) increased the Friars’ lead to 2-0 midway through the second period with her first goal of the season. Madison Sansone (Lockport, N.Y.) caused a turnover and took a shot that Boutilier saved. Van Pelt picked up the rebound in front and buried it in traffic.
- Just 2:51 into the third period Carlee Turner got the Wildcats on the board. She faked a shot high and slipped the puck through the five-hole of Madison Myers (Colchester, Vt.).
- Kate Haslett tied the game at 2-2 with 3:44 left in regulation. Ali Praus took a shot that was saved, but Haslett was able to slap home the rebound.
- Sansone had a chance to win the game with just over two minutes remaining in overtime. Boutilier made an impressive sliding save on her bid to preserve the tie for UNH.
- Myers finished the night with 34 saves, 19 of which came in the second frame.
- The Friars have now tied six times this season. Five of those six ties have ended with a 2-2 score.
HOW THEY SCORED
1-0 (Providence) – 17:23/1st – EV – Brooke Boquist, assisted by Maureen Murphy and Rachel Rockwell – Partial breakaway, shot from below the left dot
2-0 (Providence) – 10:52/2nd – EV – Neve Van Pelt, assisted by Madison Sansone – Rebound goal in front
2-1 (UNH) – 2:51/3rd – EV – Carlee Turner (unassisted) – Shot through the five-hole
2-2 (UNH) – 16:16/3rd – EV – Kate Haslett, assisted by Ali Praus – Slap shot off a rebound
Providence: Madison Myers, 13-5-6: 34 saves, 2 goals against
New Hampshire: Ava Boutilier, 8-8-6: 27 saves, 2 goals against
Face-off percentage: 49.2% (32/65)
Power plays: 0-4 (0%)
Penalty kill: 5-5 (100%)
Face-off percentage: 50.8% (33/65)
Power plays: 0-5 (0%)
Penalty kill: 4-4 (100%)
PC GAME HIGHS
Shots: Boquist (6)
Goals: Boquist, Van Pelt (1)
Assists: Rockwell, Murphy, Sansone (1)
Points: Five different players
The Friars conclude the regular season series with University of New Hampshire tomorrow (Jan. 20) at 4:00 p.m. at the Whittemore Center.
For more updates on the Providence women’s hockey program, follow the team on Twitter and Instagram @PCWHockey.
- GO FRIARS -
Official StoreOfficial Online
Seven Friars Named to...
Seven Friars comprise the 16-member inaugural class of the Rhode Island Hockey Hall of Fame.
Murphy, Friesen and Deraney ...
BOSTON, Mass. – Maureen Murphy (Buffalo, N.Y.), Kate Friesen (Altona, Manitoba) and head coach Bob Deraney were recognized at the annual Hockey East...
Maureen Murphy Collects...
PROVIDENCE, R.I. – Maureen Murphy (Buffalo, N.Y.) of the Providence College women’s ice hockey team was unanimously selected to the Hockey East...
Women's Hockey Falls in Game...
The Providence College women's hockey team fell to the University of Connecticut in heartbreaking fashion on Sunday, Feb. 25 in the Hockey East Quarterfinal ...
Women's Hockey Blanked by UConn
The Providence College women's hockey team fell to the University of Connecticut by a score of 3-0 in the second game of the Hockey East Quarterfinals on Feb...
Women's Hockey Downs UConn...
The Providence College women's hockey team defeated the University of Connecticut in Hockey East Quarterfinal action on Friday night (Feb. 23). The Friars...
Women's Hockey Game Notes vs...
The second-seeded Friars host the seventh-seeded UConn Huskies in the Hockey East Quarterfinals. Games are set for Friday, Feb. 23 (7:00 p.m.), Saturday, Feb...
Women’s Hockey East...
The Providence College women’s hockey team is set to host the UConn Huskies in a Hockey East Quarterfinal series from Feb. 23-25. Games are slated for ...