BOSTON, Mass. – The No. 7 Providence College women’s hockey team fell to Boston University by a score of 5-1 at Walter Brown Arena on Jan. 12.
No. 7 Providence – 1 | Boston University – 5
Providence: 13-6-5 (9-2-3 HE) | Boston University: 8-12-4 (4-9-3 HE)
Walter Brown Arena – Boston, Mass.
GAME FLOW & NOTES
- Victoria Bach scored her 24th goal of the year just 28 seconds into the game. Bach got the feed from Breanna Scarpaci in the neutral zone, skated in and deked Myers for the quick lead.
- The Friars went on the power play just a minute later and were able to get four shots on goal during the man advantage. Croinne Schroeder was up to the task and made all four saves to keep Providence off the board.
- At the 8:49 mark, Reagan Rust increased the Terriers’ lead with a slap shot from the right point. Natasza Tarnowski and Kristina Schuler picked up the assists.
- BU opened the second period in quick fashion as well, scoring 1:12 in this time. Nara Elia scored a power play goal, assisted by Bach and Abbey Stanley to make it 3-0.
- Just over two minutes later, Elia struck again. She tipped a shot from the point to make it 4-0. Stanley picked up her second assist of the day and Jesse Compher also earned a helper.
- Less than a minute later, Brooke Boquist (Thunder Bay, Ontario) responded for the Friars. She took a wrist shot from the slot on the 3-on-1 that beat Schroeder glove side. Christina Putigna (Grimsby, Ontario) and Avery Fransoo (North Battleford, Saskatchewan) tallied assists.
- Compher finished the day with an empty-netter at the 17:42 mark of the third. Stanley grabbed her third assist of the day on the play.
- The Friars were 0/6 on the power play, despite 13 shots during man-advantages.
- Providence outshot Boston University 30-22 in the game.
HOW THEY SCORED
1-0 (BU) – 0:28/1st – EV – Victoria Bach, assisted by Breanna Scarpaci – Deke in front
2-0 (BU) – 8:49/1st – EV – Reagan Rust, assisted by Natasza Tarnowski and Kristina Schuler – Slap shot from the right point
3-0 (BU) – 1:12/2nd – PP – Nara Elia, assisted by Victoria Bach and Abbey Stanley – Pass across the goalmouth for a one-timer
4-0 (BU) – 3:39/2nd – EV – Nara Elia, assisted by Abbey Stanley and Jesse Compher – Tip in front from a shot at the point
4-1 (Providence) – 4:26/2nd – EV – Brooke Boquist, assisted by Christina Putigna and Avery Fransoo – Wrist shot from the slot on a 3-on-1 opportunity
5-1 (BU) – 17:42/3rd – EN – Jesse Compher, assisted by Abbey Stanley – Empty-netter
Providence: Madison Myers, 12-5-5: 17 saves, 4 goals against
Boston University: Corinne Schroeder, 8-4-2: 29 saves, 1 goal against
Face-off percentage: 50% (25/50)
Power plays: 0-6 (0%)
Penalty kill: 2-3 (66.6%)
Face-off percentage: 50% (25/50)
Power plays: 1-3 (33.3%)
Penalty kill: 6-6 (100%)
PC GAME HIGHS
Shots: Boquist (6)
Goals: Boquist (1)
Assists: Putigna, Fransoo (1)
Points: Boquist, Putigna, Fransoo (1)
The Friars meet Boston University again tomorrow (Jan. 13) at Schneider Arena. Puck drop is set for 4:00 p.m.
For more updates on the Providence women’s hockey program, follow the team on Twitter and Instagram @PCWHockey.
- GO FRIARS -
Official StoreOfficial Online
Murphy, Friesen and Deraney ...
BOSTON, Mass. – Maureen Murphy (Buffalo, N.Y.), Kate Friesen (Altona, Manitoba) and head coach Bob Deraney were recognized at the annual Hockey East...
Maureen Murphy Collects...
PROVIDENCE, R.I. – Maureen Murphy (Buffalo, N.Y.) of the Providence College women’s ice hockey team was unanimously selected to the Hockey East...
Women's Hockey Falls in Game...
The Providence College women's hockey team fell to the University of Connecticut in heartbreaking fashion on Sunday, Feb. 25 in the Hockey East Quarterfinal ...
Women's Hockey Blanked by UConn
The Providence College women's hockey team fell to the University of Connecticut by a score of 3-0 in the second game of the Hockey East Quarterfinals on Feb...
Women's Hockey Downs UConn...
The Providence College women's hockey team defeated the University of Connecticut in Hockey East Quarterfinal action on Friday night (Feb. 23). The Friars...
Women's Hockey Game Notes vs...
The second-seeded Friars host the seventh-seeded UConn Huskies in the Hockey East Quarterfinals. Games are set for Friday, Feb. 23 (7:00 p.m.), Saturday, Feb...
Women’s Hockey East...
The Providence College women’s hockey team is set to host the UConn Huskies in a Hockey East Quarterfinal series from Feb. 23-25. Games are slated for ...
Madison Myers Named Hockey...
Madison Myers (Colchester, Vt.) was named the Hockey East Co-Defensive Player of the Week on Monday, Feb. 19.