BURLINGTON, Vt. – Brooke Boquist (Thunder Bay, Ontario) and Meaghan Rickard (Coventry, R.I.) led the no. 8/9 Providence College women’s hockey team to a 4-1 victory at Gutterson Fieldhouse on Saturday afternoon (Jan. 6).
No. 8/9 Providence – 4 | Vermont – 1
Providence: 13-5-4 (9-1-2 HE) | Vermont: 5-13-3 (3-9-2 HE)
Gutterson Fieldhouse – Burlington, Vt.
GAME FLOW & NOTES
- Madison Myers (Colchester, Vt.) was strong in net for the Friars in the first period. She helped keep the score knotted at zeros, making 10 saves in the frame.
- Providence killed off two penalties in the final eight minutes of the opening period. The team also killed off 1:12 of a third penalty, with the final 48 seconds carrying over to the second.
- The second period featured tons of special teams’ action, with the Friars killing off the remaining 48 seconds and then Vermont killing off three straight penalties.
- On Vermont’s fourth penalty of the period, the Friars finally struck. Whitney Dove (Port Moody, British Columbia) took a shot from the left point that beat Melissa Black. Meaghan Rickard and Chloe Gonsalves (Toronto, Ontario) earned assists on the play.
- Providence outshot Vermont 15-5 in the second period, forcing Black to make 14 saves.
- Just 3:26 into the third period, Vermont tied the game up at 1-1. Allie Granato slid a pass across the goalmouth and Kristina Shanahan one-timed it past Myers. Alyssa Holmes had the secondary assist.
- With only 5:08 remaining in regulation, Rickard put the Friars back on top. She fired a shot on the 2-on-1 rush that beat Black far-post. Brooke Boquist and Emily Landry (Orangeville, Ontario) notched assists on the play.
- A few minutes later, Boquist increased the lead with an odd-angle shot from the left goal-line. Rickard picked up her third point of the day, while Dove nabbed her second with assists on the play.
- Two minutes later, Boquist struck again. Her empty-netter pushed her to three points on the afternoon. Landry turned in her first two-point game this season with her second assist of the day on the play. Rachel Rockwell (Broadview Heights, Ohio) jumped on the scoresheet as well with the secondary assist.
- The Friars have now won four-straight games for the first time this season.
HOW THEY SCORED
1-0 (Providence) – 17:56/2nd – PP – Whitney Dove, assisted by Meaghan Rickard and Chloe Gonsalves – Shot from the left point
1-1 (Vermont) – 3:26/3rd – EV – Kristina Shanahan, assisted by Allie Granato and Alyssa Holmes – Pass across the goalmouth for a one-time shot
2-1 (Providence) – 14:52/3rd – EV – Meaghan Rickard, assisted by Brooke Boquist and Emily Landry – 2-on-1 rush with a wrist shot to the far-post
3-1 (Providence) – 17:13/3rd – EV – Brooke Boquist, assisted by Meaghan Rickard and Whitney Dove – Odd-angle shot from the left goal-line
4-1 (Providence) – 19:14/3rd – EN – Brooke Boquist, assisted by Emily Landry and Rachel Rockwell – Empty-netter
Providence: Madison Myers, 12-4-4: 21 saves, 1 goal against
Vermont: Melissa Black, 1-5-1: 32 saves, 3 goals against
Face-off percentage: 63.6% (35/55)
Power plays: 1-4 (25%)
Penalty kill: 3-3 (100%)
Face-off percentage: 36.4% (20/55)
Power plays: 0-3 (0%)
Penalty kill: 3-4 (75%)
PC GAME HIGHS
Shots: Rickard (9)
Goals: Boquist (2)
Assists: Rickard, Landry (2)
Points: Rickard, Boquist (3)
The Friars continue the weekend series at the University of Vermont with a game tomorrow (Jan. 7) at 2:00 p.m. The game marks the final meeting between the teams in the regular season.
For more updates on the Providence women’s hockey program, follow the team on Twitter @PCWHockey.
- GO FRIARS -
Official StoreOfficial Online
Seven Friars Named to...
Seven Friars comprise the 16-member inaugural class of the Rhode Island Hockey Hall of Fame.
Murphy, Friesen and Deraney ...
BOSTON, Mass. – Maureen Murphy (Buffalo, N.Y.), Kate Friesen (Altona, Manitoba) and head coach Bob Deraney were recognized at the annual Hockey East...
Maureen Murphy Collects...
PROVIDENCE, R.I. – Maureen Murphy (Buffalo, N.Y.) of the Providence College women’s ice hockey team was unanimously selected to the Hockey East...
Women's Hockey Falls in Game...
The Providence College women's hockey team fell to the University of Connecticut in heartbreaking fashion on Sunday, Feb. 25 in the Hockey East Quarterfinal ...
Women's Hockey Blanked by UConn
The Providence College women's hockey team fell to the University of Connecticut by a score of 3-0 in the second game of the Hockey East Quarterfinals on Feb...
Women's Hockey Downs UConn...
The Providence College women's hockey team defeated the University of Connecticut in Hockey East Quarterfinal action on Friday night (Feb. 23). The Friars...
Women's Hockey Game Notes vs...
The second-seeded Friars host the seventh-seeded UConn Huskies in the Hockey East Quarterfinals. Games are set for Friday, Feb. 23 (7:00 p.m.), Saturday, Feb...
Women’s Hockey East...
The Providence College women’s hockey team is set to host the UConn Huskies in a Hockey East Quarterfinal series from Feb. 23-25. Games are slated for ...