Goalkeeper Deidra Clymer
PROVIDENCE, R.I. - The Providence College field hockey program opens the 2014 season against Vermont on Friday, Aug. 29 in Burlington, Vt. at Noon. The Friars will remain in Burlington to face Lock Haven in a neutral-site game on Saturday, Aug. 30 at 1:00 p.m. Live streaming video of the Friars’ match vs. Vermont will be available free-of-charge.
Click on the following link to access the LIVE VIDEO - Providence vs. Vermont (Aug. 29 @ Noon)
SCOUTING PROVIDENCE FIELD HOCKEY:
• In 2014, the Friars return nine of 12 players who scored at least one goal last season, including senior Daniella Bernasconi (Hopewell Junction, N.Y.), who netted a team-best 15 goals.
• Current senior Daniella Bernasconi finished the 2013 season with a career-high 32 points on 15 goals and two assists. She completed the year ranked seventh in the BIG EAST in scoring (overall) and sixth during BIG EAST regular-season play (conference games only). Bernasconi’s 15 goals and 32 points are the most by a Friar in a single-season since 2008. That year, two-time All-American Nellie Poulin ‘10 notched 16 goals and 33 points.
• The Friars completed the 2013 schedule with a 8-10 overall record. Providence started the season with a 2-1 overtime victory vs. 11th-ranked Northwestern on Aug. 30. The Friars finished the year 1-6 vs. nationally-ranked teams.
• Five of the Friars’ 10 losses were decided by one goal, including four games decided in overtime. Six of the program’s 10 losses were suffered at the hands of teams ranked in the NFHCA Division I National Coaches’ Poll. Providence fell to two other opponents during the season, who finished the year in the national poll, but were not ranked at the time of play.
• Providence was picked to finish fourth in the 2014 BIG EAST Preseason Coaches’ Poll, having accumulated 14 points. Defending BIG EAST and NCAA National Champion Connecticut was picked to win the league and secured five first-place votes and a total of 25 points. Old Dominion was picked second (21 pts, one first-place vote) and Temple sits in third place (16 pts). Villanova (nine points) and Georgetown (five points) round out the preseason rankings.
• Caitlin Malone (Ossining, N.Y.), Henni Tietze (Sankt Augustin, Germany) and Daniella Bernasconi (Hopewell Junction, N.Y.) were named to the 11-player 2014 Preseason All-BIG EAST Team. The Friars’ three selections match Connecticut for the most honorees by a single institution. Malone and Tietze were unanimous picks. Malone was a First-Team All-BIG EAST selection in 2013, while Tietze and Bernasconi were named to the Second Team.
• Providence will host Boston College in its home opener on Friday, Sept. 5 at Lennon Family Field in Providence, R.I. Game time is set for 7:00 p.m.
• Providence College has been selected to host the 2014 BIG EAST Field Hockey Championship on November 7 & 9 at Lennon Family Field in Providence, R.I. The top four teams in the league’s final regular-season standings will earn a berth to the tournament. Providence hosted the tournament in 2009 and fell to Syracuse, 2-1, in the semifinals. The Orange were ranked fifth in the nation at the time.
• Providence has competed in five of the last eight BIG EAST Conference Field Hockey Tournaments, and has advanced to the championship game twice (2006, 2007).
• Four opponents on the Friars’ 2014 schedule are ranked in the 2014 Penn Monto / NFHCA Division I Preseason Coaches’ Poll (Top-20), including Connecticut (No. 3), Old Dominion (No. 9), Boston College (No. 13) and Michigan (No. 17).
• Follow the Providence College field hockey team on Twitter @PCFieldHockey
• Like the team on Facebook! While logged in to your account, search for Providence Field Hockey
PROVIDENCE VS. VERMONT ALL-TIME
First Meeting: 1987 - Providence 4, Vermont 0
Last Meeting: 2013 - Providence 6, Vermont 0
All-Time Series: Providence leads, 12-2
Current Streak: Providence has won each of the last four meetings (W4)
Last Vermont Victory: 2008 - Vermont 1, Providence 0
Friars vs. Vermont Under Direction of Diane Madl: 9-2
Friars vs. Vermont In Season-Openers: Series tied, 1-1
• Providence is 1-1 all-time vs. Vermont in season openers. The Friars lead the all-time series vs. Vermont, 12-2.
• The teams last met on October 20, 2013 in Providence, R.I. The Friars defeated the Catamounts, 6-0. Adrienne Houle (Burlington, Ontario) Kaleigh FitzPatrick (Dedham, Mass.) each scored two goals in the victory. Providence held a 29-4 advantage in shots during the game and an 8-3 edge in penalty corners.
• Each of the Friars’ two losses to Vermont in the all-time series were decided by one goal. Vermont earned back-to-back victories over Providence in 2007 (1-0) and 2008 (1-0). Since then, Providence has won four-straight games vs. the Catamounts.
• Eight of the Friars’ 12 victories vs. Vermont were decided by two-or-more goals. The largest margin of victory for Providence over Vermont is seven (8-1 in 2005).
• The Friars hosted Vermont in their first-ever home game at Lennon Family Field (then known as the Friar Field Hockey & Lacrosse Complex) in 2005. On that day, Providence earned an 8-1 victory. Prior to the 2005 season, the program played on a grass surface (Hendricken Field).
• In 2013, Vermont finished the season with a 0-19 overall record, including an 0-5 mark in the America East Conference.
• The Catamounts begin a new era with the addition of first-year Head Coach Kate Pfeifer, who spent the previous seven season at Northeastern as an assistant coach and associate head coach.
• Vermont was picked to finish sixth in the America East Preseason Coaches’ Poll.
• Vermont returns its top scorer from the 2013 season in senior Ashley McDonald. McDonald recorded a team-best 18 points on nine goals.
PROVIDENCE VS. LOCK HAVEN ALL-TIME
First Meeting: 1988 - Providence 1, Lock Haven 0
Last Meeting: 2006 - Providence 1, Lock Haven 0
All-Time Series: Providence leads, 2-0
Current Streak: Providence has won each of the last two meetings (W2)
Last Lock Haven Victory: n/a
Friars vs. Lock Haven Under Direction of Diane Madl: 1-0
• Providence and Lock Haven will meet for the third time in the history of the two field hockey programs. The Friars lead the all-time series, 2-0.
• The most recent meeting between the Friars and Eagles dates back to the 2006 campaign, when the two teams opened the season with a neutral site game at the University of Vermont (Burlington, Vt.). Providence defeated Lock Haven on that day, 1-0.
SCOUTING LOCK HAVEN:
• The Lady Eagles went 14-7 last season and finished 4-3 in conference play, advancing to the A-10 Tournament for the first time since 2010. Lock Haven advanced to the semifinals, where it lost to Richmond, 4-0.
• Lock Haven returns 16 players from last year’s roster, including three of four players who scored 20+ points. Nakira Downes, a 2013 All-Atlantic 10 First-Team selection, led LHU with 35 points on 11 goals and 13 assists. The Eagles also return two All-Atlantic 10 Second-Team selections in Taylor Kennedy and Elaina White, and two All-Rookie picks in Lydia George and Megan Wenrich.
• Lydia George finished second on the team in scoring with 25 points on nine goals and seven assists, while Taylor Kennedy notched 23 points on 10 goals and three assists.
• Last season, Lock Haven recorded 10 shut-out victories in 21 games. The Eagles’ 10 shutouts were tied for second most in NCAA Division I field hockey. Lock Haven led the nation in shut-outs per game (0.48).
• Lock Haven was picked to finish fourth in the 2014 Atlantic 10 Preseason Poll.
Official StoreOfficial Online
The Providence College field hockey team fell to No. 2 Connecticut, 8-0, on Friday, Oct. 23 in Providence, R.I.
Field Hockey Welcomes Second...
The Providence College field hockey team will host BIG EAST foe Connecticut on Friday, Oct. 23 at 5:00 p.m. The game will be played at Lennon Family Field...
Field Hockey Defeats Temple ...
The Providence College field hockey team defeated BIG EAST foe Temple, 1-0, on Friday, Oct. 16 at Lennon Family Field in Providence, R.I. The two teams were...
Field Hockey Set To Host...
The Providence College field hockey team will host BIG EAST foe Temple tonight [Friday, Oct. 16] at Lennon Family Field in Providence, R.I. The match is...
Second Half Surges Lifts...
The Providence College field hockey team played a dominant second half to defeat Quinnipiac, 3-2, on Oct. 11 in Hamden, Conn. Junior Adrienne Houle (Burling...
Field Hockey Suffers 3-1...
The Providence College field hockey team fell to Villanova, 3-1, in BIG EAST Conference play on Oct. 9 in Villanova, Pa.
Field Hockey Set To Face...
The Providence College field hockey team will play back-to-back road games against Villanova and Quinnipiac this weekend. The Friars start their road trip...
Dartmouth Tops Field Hockey,...
The Providence College field hockey team fell to Dartmouth, 5-2, at Lennon Family Field on Oct. 4. The Friars out-shot the Big Green, 12-9, and held an 8-2 ...