PROVIDENCE, R.I. - The Providence College field hockey team defeated non-conference foe Penn on senior day, 1-0, at Lennon Family Field in Providence, R.I. Providence concluded its regular-season schedule with an 11-7 overall record, while Penn dropped to 9-7 on the year. Senior midfielder Allie Lancaster (Cornville, Maine) scored the game-winning goal with 4:10 remaining in regulation to seal the win. Senior goalkeeper Megan Guilbert (Morganville, N.J.) collected six saves for Providence in the cage.
Providence - 1 | Penn - 0
Providence - 10-7 | Penn - 9-6
Lennon Family Field | Providence, R.I.
GAME FLOW & NOTES
- The two teams played to a scoreless draw heading into halftime, with Penn leading in shots (8-4) and penalty corners (5-1).
- Providence held a slim lead in shots on goal, 1-0, forcing Penn goalkeeper Ava Rosati to make one save.
- In the second half, the Friars out-shot Penn, 4-2 and held a 1-0 edge in penalty corners.
- Providence capitalized on its lone penalty corner of the second half, scoring the game-winning goal.
- Freshman defender Manon van Weezel (Waalre, Holland) earned the Friars the penalty corner opportunity as she was upended while carrying the ball into the circle on the offensive end.
- During the penalty corner effort, van Weezel took the initial shot on cage, which was saved by Penn's goalkeeper. The rebound deflected into the air and toward the left post, where Lancaster was waiting to one-time it into the cage.
- Penn finished the game with the lead in shots (10-8) and penalty corners (5-2).
- Guilbert registered her third shut-out victor of the season in goal with six saves, while van Weezel added a defensive save in the first half.
- Penn pulled its goalkeeper in favor of a kicking-back with just over a minute to play in regulation, but the Quakers were unable to benefit from the extra attacker.
65:50 - PC: Allie Lancaster (unassisted) - one-timed a rebound off initial shot at left post
PENN GAME HIGHS
Shots: Alexa Schneck (4)
Saves: Ava Rosati (4)
Providence College will enter BIG EAST Tournament play as the No. 4 seed, and will host the four-team tournament at Lennon Family Field on Nov. 3 (semifinals) and Nov. 5 (championship game). The Friars will face top-seeded and No. 1 ranked Connecticut at 1:00 p.m. on Friday, Nov. 3. The second semifinal of the afternoon will feature No. 2 seed Liberty and No. 3 seed Old Dominion at 4:00 p.m. The two semifinal winners will advance to the title game on Sunday, Nov. 5 at 1:00 p.m. All three games will be broadcast live on the BIG EAST Digital Network (BEDN) via FOX Sports Go.
To purchase tickets to the BIG EAST Field Hockey Championship, presented by Jeep: CLICK HERE
- GO FRIARS! -
Official StoreOfficial Online
BIG EAST Field Hockey...
On Thursday, Nov. 2, the four teams who qualified for the 2017 BIG EAST Field Hockey Championship, presented by Jeep, held practices at Lennon Family Field...
Field Hockey Prepares For...
The BIG EAST Field Hockey Championship, presented by Jeep, will be hosted by Providence College. All three games of the tournament will be played at Lennon...
Four Field Hockey Players...
The BIG EAST Conference released its All-BIG EAST selections and major post-season awards for field hockey on Thursday, Nov. 2. Providence College was well-...
Field Hockey Defeats Non-Con...
The Providence College field hockey team defeated non-conference foe Penn on senior day, 1-0, at Lennon Family Field in Providence, R.I. Providence...
Field Hockey Falls To Old...
The Providence College field hockey team fell to Old Dominion, 2-0, in the BIG EAST regular-season finale on Friday, Oct. 27 in Providence, R.I. The Friars ...
Field Hockey Hosts Old...
The Providence College field hockey team will conclude its regular-season schedule with a pair of home games against BIG EAST foe Old Dominion and non-confer...
Tickets On Sale For 2017 BIG...
Tickets are currently on sale for the 2017 BIG EAST Field Hockey Championship, presented by Jeep. The championship, which will feature the top four teams in...
Field Hockey Drops 3-0...
The Providence College field hockey team fell to BIG EAST foe Liberty, 3-0, on Oct. 20 in Lynchburg, Va. Providence fell to 10-6 overall and 4-2 in...