PROVIDENCE, R.I. - The Providence College field hockey team fell to Old Dominion, 2-0, in the BIG EAST regular-season finale on Friday, Oct. 27 in Providence, R.I. The Friars will return to action on Sunday, Oct. 29 against non-conference foe Penn at Noon. Prior to the match, the program will honor its senior class of Megan Guilbert (Morganville, Pa.), Megan Hamilton (Warrington, Pa.), Allie Lancaster (Cornville, Maine) and Abby Thornton (West Pittston, Pa.).
Providence – 0 | Old Dominion – 2
Providence – 10-7 (4-3 BIG EAST) | Old Dominion 8-8 (5-2 BIG EAST)
Lennon Family Field | Providence, R.I.
GAME FLOW & NOTES
- Old Dominion was opportunistic in the first half, scoring two goals on just three shots.
- Both goals by the Monarchs came in the closing 10 minutes of play in the opening half and each were tallied by Danielle Grega at 27:57 and 31:46, respectively.
- ODU maintained its 2-0 lead into halftime. The teams were even in shots (3-3) and penalty corners (1-1).
- In the second half, the Friars out-shot the Monarchs, 7-2, and held a 5-0 edge in penalty corners, but could not find the back of the cage.
- Guilbert and junior Lydia Rice (Carle Place, N.Y.) split time in the cage. Guilbert was charged with each of ODU’s goals and made one save. Rice entered at the half, played the remaining 35 minutes and also recorded one save.
- For the game, Providence led ODU in shots (10-5), shots on goal (5-4) and penalty corners (6-1)
27:57 – ODU: Danielle Grega (unassisted) – initial shot went off defender and then deflected in by Grega
31:46 – ODU: Danielle Grega (unassisted) – carried into left side of circle; hard blast and deflected into cage off of goalkeeper’s pads
OLD DOMINION GAME HIGHS
Points: Danielle Grega (4)
Goals: Danielle Grega (2)
Shots: Danielle Grega (2)
Saves: Lacey Frazier (5)
BIG EAST TOURNAMENT PICTURE
Despite today’s loss, Providence will enter the tournament as the No. 4 seed. Old Dominion clinched a BIG EAST Tournament berth with the victory and will earn either the No. 2 or No. 3 seed. Liberty clinched a spot in the tournament last week, and will serve as the No. 2 seed with a win over Temple this evening or the No. 3 seed with a loss. The BIG EAST Field Hockey Championship, presented by Jeep, is scheduled for Nov. 3 (semifinals) and Nov. 5 (championship game). Providence College will serve as host and all three games will be played at Lennon Family Field in Providence, R.I.
- GO FRIARS! -
Official StoreOfficial Online
Field Hockey Defeats Non-Con...
The Providence College field hockey team defeated non-conference foe Penn on senior day, 1-0, at Lennon Family Field in Providence, R.I. Providence...
Field Hockey Falls To Old...
The Providence College field hockey team fell to Old Dominion, 2-0, in the BIG EAST regular-season finale on Friday, Oct. 27 in Providence, R.I. The Friars ...
Field Hockey Hosts Old...
The Providence College field hockey team will conclude its regular-season schedule with a pair of home games against BIG EAST foe Old Dominion and non-confer...
Tickets On Sale For 2017 BIG...
Tickets are currently on sale for the 2017 BIG EAST Field Hockey Championship, presented by Jeep. The championship, which will feature the top four teams in...
Field Hockey Drops 3-0...
The Providence College field hockey team fell to BIG EAST foe Liberty, 3-0, on Oct. 20 in Lynchburg, Va. Providence fell to 10-6 overall and 4-2 in...
Field Hockey Prepares For...
The Providence College field hockey team will take on BIG EAST foe Liberty at 3:00 p.m. on Friday, Oct. 20 in Lynchburg, Va. The game will be broadcast live ...
Megan Guilbert To Play In...
Providence College senior field hockey goalkeeper Megan Guilbert (Morganville, N.J.) was selected to play in the 2017 Victory Sports Tours/NFHCA Division I...
Mary O'Reilly And Manon Van ...
Providence College field hockey was well-represented among the list of BIG EAST weekly award winners on Monday, Oct. 16. Sophomore midfielder Mary O’R...