LYNCHBURG, VA. - The Providence College field hockey team fell to BIG EAST foe Liberty, 3-0, on Oct. 20 in Lynchburg, Va. Providence fell to 10-6 overall and 4-2 in conference play, while Liberty improved to 6-8 (4-2 BIG EAST).
Providence – 0 | Liberty – 3
Providence – 10-6 (4-2 BIG EAST) | Liberty – 6-8 (4-2 BIG EAST)
Liberty Field Hockey Field – Lynchburg, Va.
GAME FLOW & NOTES
- Liberty took a 2-0 lead into halftime as Agueda Moroni netted two unanswered goals for the Flames.
- Providence had a goal called back on a penalty corner with 2:05 remaining in the first half as the officials deliberated and ultimately changed the call to a penalty corner. Allyson Parker put a ball on frame that the Liberty goalkeeper deflected into Allie Lancaster’s body and over the goal line.
- Liberty held an 11-5 edge in shots and 6-4 advantage in penalty corners during the first half.
- The Flames jumped on the board for a 3-0 lead just 1:04 into the second half after taking advantage of turnover deep in Providence’s backfield. Moroni picked off a pass and quickly moved into the circle where Jill Bolton finished off the play with a goal.
- With 15:09 remaining in regulation, the Friars earned a penalty corner, which yielded two chances at the left post, but were defended well by the Flames to keep Providence scoreless.
- Providence senior goalkeeper Megan Guilbert played 39:28 in the cage and made two saves while allowing each of Liberty’s three, first-half goals. - Junior Lydia Rice made her collegiate debut for the Friars in the second half, as she played 39:28 and held the Flames scoreless. Rice made three saves.
- Liberty out-shot Providence 24-14 and held a 14-8 edge in penalty corners for the match.
14:26 – LU: Agueda Moroni (Jill Bolton) – off penalty corner
30:49 – LU: Agueda Moroni (Alexis Paone) – backhanded shot
36:04 – LU: Jill Bolton (unassisted) – backhanded shot from left side
LIBERTY GAME HIGHS
Points: Agueda Moroni (4)
Goals: Agueda Moroni (2)
Assists: 2 players w/ 1
Shots: Agueda Moroni (9)
Saves: Allison Schaefer (5)
Providence will return to action on Friday, Oct. 27 against BIG EAST foe Old Dominion at Lennon Family Field in Providence, R.I., and is scheduled to begin at 2:00 p.m. The match will be broadcast live on the BIG EAST Digital Network via FOX Sports Go. To watch, download the FOX Sports Go app on your mobile device or tablet. The game also may be viewed on the web by visiting http://www.FOXSportsGo.com. The app is not available internationally, however, international viewers can access the game via the web.
- GO FRIARS! -
Official StoreOfficial Online
BIG EAST Field Hockey...
On Thursday, Nov. 2, the four teams who qualified for the 2017 BIG EAST Field Hockey Championship, presented by Jeep, held practices at Lennon Family Field...
Field Hockey Prepares For...
The BIG EAST Field Hockey Championship, presented by Jeep, will be hosted by Providence College. All three games of the tournament will be played at Lennon...
Four Field Hockey Players...
The BIG EAST Conference released its All-BIG EAST selections and major post-season awards for field hockey on Thursday, Nov. 2. Providence College was well-...
Field Hockey Defeats Non-Con...
The Providence College field hockey team defeated non-conference foe Penn on senior day, 1-0, at Lennon Family Field in Providence, R.I. Providence...
Field Hockey Falls To Old...
The Providence College field hockey team fell to Old Dominion, 2-0, in the BIG EAST regular-season finale on Friday, Oct. 27 in Providence, R.I. The Friars ...
Field Hockey Hosts Old...
The Providence College field hockey team will conclude its regular-season schedule with a pair of home games against BIG EAST foe Old Dominion and non-confer...
Tickets On Sale For 2017 BIG...
Tickets are currently on sale for the 2017 BIG EAST Field Hockey Championship, presented by Jeep. The championship, which will feature the top four teams in...
Field Hockey Drops 3-0...
The Providence College field hockey team fell to BIG EAST foe Liberty, 3-0, on Oct. 20 in Lynchburg, Va. Providence fell to 10-6 overall and 4-2 in...