HANOVER, N.H. -
The Providence College field hockey team improved to 10-5 overall on the season with a 3-1 victory over Dartmouth on Oct. 15 in Hanover, N.H. Sophomore forward Izzy Mendez (Cedar Grove, N.J.) notched the first multi-goal game of her career as she scored two goals in the win.
Providence - 3 | Darmouth - 1
Providence - 10-5 | Dartmouth - 4-8
Chase Astroturf Field - Hanover, N.H.
GAME FLOW & NOTES
- Sophomore Izzy Mendez (Cedar Grove, N.J.) tallied her fourth goal of the season to give Providence a 1-0 lead at 28:16. The goal was assisted by freshman Maddie Babineau (Milton, Ontario).
- Providence held an 8-3 advantage in shots during the first half and also led in penalty corners, 4-1.
- Dartmouth was awarded three-consecutive penalty corners within the first two and a half minutes of the second half, but the Friars kept the Big Green off the board.
- Providence's Mary O'Reilly (Longmeadow, Mass.) gave the Friars a 2-0 lead at 43:17 as she carried the ball into the top of the circle and converted off of a reverse stick. It marked O'Reilly's second goal of the season.
- Mendez made it a 3-0 game as she found the back of the cage after receiving a short dump pass in front of the cage from junior Natalie Mitchell (East Norriton, Pa.). It marked the first mult-goal game of Mendez's career.
- Dartmouth got on the board with 4:27 left in regulation to make it a 3-1 game as Evie Bird collected a pass on a give-and-go on the left side. Katie Spanos drew Providence's Megan Guilbert (Morganville, N.J.) off her line and dumped the ball to a streaking Bird on the left, who fired it home.
- The Friars led in shots (19-11), shots on goal (7-2) and penalty corners (8-7).
- Providence improves to 10-5 overall and has won seven of its last nine games, including four of its last five.
- After two games this weekend, four Friars have cracked double figures in the points column, led by freshman defender Manon van Weezel (Waalre, Holland), who has 13 points. Mikayla Michals (Needham, Mass.) is second with 12 points, followed by Mendez and Mitchell, with 11 points each.
28:16 - PC: Izzy Mendez (Maddie Babineau) - received ball deep on left side of circle; shot short side
43:17 - PC: Mary O'Reilly (unassisted) - carried in from top of circle; reverse stick low
58:29 - PC: Izzy Mendez (Natalie Mitchell) - short dump pass in front of goalkeeper
65:33 - DC: Evie Bird (Katie Spanos) - give and go; shot from left side
DARTMOUTH GAME HIGHS
Points: Evie Bird (2)
Goals: Evie Bird (1)
Assists: Katie Spanos (1)
Shots: Katie Persin (3)
Saves: Emily Wechsler (4)
Providence will return to action on Friday, Oct. 20 against BIG EAST foe Liberty. The game will be broadcast live on ESPN3/WatchESPN and is scheduled to begin at 3:00 p.m.
- GO FRIARS! -
Official StoreOfficial Online
Field Hockey Defeats Non-Con...
The Providence College field hockey team defeated non-conference foe Penn on senior day, 1-0, at Lennon Family Field in Providence, R.I. Providence...
Field Hockey Falls To Old...
The Providence College field hockey team fell to Old Dominion, 2-0, in the BIG EAST regular-season finale on Friday, Oct. 27 in Providence, R.I. The Friars ...
Field Hockey Hosts Old...
The Providence College field hockey team will conclude its regular-season schedule with a pair of home games against BIG EAST foe Old Dominion and non-confer...
Tickets On Sale For 2017 BIG...
Tickets are currently on sale for the 2017 BIG EAST Field Hockey Championship, presented by Jeep. The championship, which will feature the top four teams in...
Field Hockey Drops 3-0...
The Providence College field hockey team fell to BIG EAST foe Liberty, 3-0, on Oct. 20 in Lynchburg, Va. Providence fell to 10-6 overall and 4-2 in...
Field Hockey Prepares For...
The Providence College field hockey team will take on BIG EAST foe Liberty at 3:00 p.m. on Friday, Oct. 20 in Lynchburg, Va. The game will be broadcast live ...
Megan Guilbert To Play In...
Providence College senior field hockey goalkeeper Megan Guilbert (Morganville, N.J.) was selected to play in the 2017 Victory Sports Tours/NFHCA Division I...
Mary O'Reilly And Manon Van ...
Providence College field hockey was well-represented among the list of BIG EAST weekly award winners on Monday, Oct. 16. Sophomore midfielder Mary O’R...