PROVIDENCE, R.I. - The Providence College field hockey team escaped with a 1-0 victory over Fairfield on Sunday, Oct. 1 at Lennon Family Field in Providence, R.I. Junior Natalie Mitchell (East Norriton, Pa.) was credited with the game-winning goal with 15 seconds remaining in regulation. Providence improved to 7-4 overall, while Fairfield dropped to 2-9 on the year.
Providence - 1 | Fairfield - 0
Providence - 7-4 | Fairfield - 2-9
Lennon Family Field - Providence, R.I.
GAME FLOW & NOTES
- Fairfield had the momentum at the start of the game, as it took a 6-1 advantage in shot attempts.
- The two teams went to halftime in a scoreless draw, 0-0.
- At the break, shots were even at six a piece. Providence held the advantage in penalty corners, 5-4.
- In the second half, the Friars were out-shot 9-4 and Fairfield also held a 5-3 edge in corners.
- Natalie Mitchell (East Norriton, Pa.) gave the Friars a 1-0 lead with 15 seconds left in the game as she played a ball beneath the goalkeeper in the middle of the circle. The ball found its way to the left post where it trickled over the goal line along with a diving Fairfield defender.
- The goal marked Mitchell's fourth of the season.
- Senior goalkeeper Megan Guilbert (Morganville, N.J.) collected eight saves in the game for Providence. Caitlin Gilligan stopped five shots for Fairfield.
- Overall, Fairfield held the edge in shots (15-10) and penalty corners (9-8).
69:45 - PC: Natalie Mitchell (unassisted) - ball played under goalkeeper and ball trickled in at left post
FAIRFIELD GAME HIGHS
Shots: Erin Buckley (3)
Providence will return to action on Friday, Oct. 6 against BIG EAST foe Quinnipiac. The match is scheduled to begin at 6:00 p.m. and will be played at Lennon Family Field in Providence, R.I. Friday's game also will serve as the program's annual "Bring A Professor To The Game" event.
- GO FRIARS! -
Official StoreOfficial Online
Field Hockey Defeats...
The Providence College field hockey team improved to 10-5 overall on the season with a 3-1 victory over Dartmouth on Oct. 15 in Hanover, N.H. Sophomore...
Field Hockey Tops Georgetown...
The Providence College field hockey team defeated Georgetown, 4-3, in BIG EAST action on Friday, Oct. 13 in Providence, R.I. The Friars improved to 9-5...
Providence College Athletic ...
Providence College’s campus landscape changed significantly with the construction of the Friar Field Hockey & Lacrosse Complex in 2005. It was one of ...
Field Hockey Set To Host BIG...
The Providence College field hockey team will host BIG EAST foe Georgetown on Friday, Oct. 13 at Lennon Family Field in Providence R.I. The match is...
Mikayla Michals Named To BIG...
Providence College sophomore forward Mikayla Michals (Needham, Mass.) was named to the BIG EAST Weekly Honor Roll for field hockey on Monday, Oct. 9. It...
Field Hockey Drops Hard-Foug...
The Providence College field hockey team fell to non-conference opponent UMass, 1-0, on Sunday, Oct. 8 at Lennon Family Field in Providence, R.I. Despite...
Field Hockey Defeats...
The Providence College field hockey team defeated BIG EAST foe Quinnipiac, 2-1, on Friday, Oct. 6 in Providence, R.I. The win was critical for the Friars as...
Field Hockey Hosts...
The Providence College field hockey team will host BIG EAST foe Quinnipiac on Friday, Oct. 6. The game is set to begin at 6:00 p.m. and will be played at...