STORRS, CONN. - The Providence College field hockey team held the top-ranked Connecticut Huskies scoreless for 57 minutes of play in Storrs, Conn. on Friday night (Sept. 29), but UConn netted two late goals to take a 2-0 victory. Senior goalkeeper Megan Guilbert (Morganville, N.J.) collected 12 saves in the game for the Friars, who fall to 6-4 overall (2-1 BIG EAST). Connecticut remains the lone unbeaten team in the nation and improved to 10-0 (3-0 BIG EAST).
Providence - 0 | #1 Connecticut - 2
Providence - 6-4 (2-1 BIG EAST) | #1 Connecticut - 10-0 (3-0 BIG EAST)
George J. Sherman Family-Sports Complex | Storrs, Conn.
GAME FLOW & NOTES
- The two teams headed to halftime in a scoreless draw.
- Providence's best chance at a goal came in the first half when sophomore Izzy Mendez was on a 1v1 with the goalkeeper. The `keeper came off her line to defend the play, creating a loose ball that nearly trickled into the cage at the left post.
- The Friars maintained a clean sheet until Connecticut took a 1-0 lead with 13:06 remaining in regulation. Margot van Hecking Colenbrander scored off a direct shot on a penalty corner.
- The Huskies added an insurance goal with 1:49 left in the game as Svea Boker knocked in a rebound after collecting a loose ball on an initial save by Guilbert.
- Guilbert finished the night with 12 saves, which is two shy of her career high (14 vs. Boston College).
- The Friars are one of five teams this season to hold the Huskies to two goals or fewer this season.
- Connecticut entered the game averaging 4.3 goals per match overall and 4.5 goals per match in BIG EAST action. The Huskies' 4.3 goals per game ranks third in NCAA Division I field hockey.
56:54 - Uconn: Margot van Hecking Colenbrander (Amanda Collins/Charlotte Veitner) - direct shot on a penalty corner
68:11 - Uconn: Svea Boker (unassisted) - off rebound
PROVIDENCE GAME HIGHS
#1 CONNECTICUT GAME HIGHS
Points: 2 players w/ 2
Goals: 2 players w/ 1
Assists: 2 players w/ 1
Shots: 2 players w/ 6
Providence will return to action on Sunday, Oct. 1 against Fairfield in non-conference action. The game is scheduled to begin at 1:00 p.m. and will be played at Lennon Family Field in Providence, R.I.
- GO FRIARS! -
Official StoreOfficial Online
Field Hockey Defeats...
The Providence College field hockey team improved to 10-5 overall on the season with a 3-1 victory over Dartmouth on Oct. 15 in Hanover, N.H. Sophomore...
Field Hockey Tops Georgetown...
The Providence College field hockey team defeated Georgetown, 4-3, in BIG EAST action on Friday, Oct. 13 in Providence, R.I. The Friars improved to 9-5...
Providence College Athletic ...
Providence College’s campus landscape changed significantly with the construction of the Friar Field Hockey & Lacrosse Complex in 2005. It was one of ...
Field Hockey Set To Host BIG...
The Providence College field hockey team will host BIG EAST foe Georgetown on Friday, Oct. 13 at Lennon Family Field in Providence R.I. The match is...
Mikayla Michals Named To BIG...
Providence College sophomore forward Mikayla Michals (Needham, Mass.) was named to the BIG EAST Weekly Honor Roll for field hockey on Monday, Oct. 9. It...
Field Hockey Drops Hard-Foug...
The Providence College field hockey team fell to non-conference opponent UMass, 1-0, on Sunday, Oct. 8 at Lennon Family Field in Providence, R.I. Despite...
Field Hockey Defeats...
The Providence College field hockey team defeated BIG EAST foe Quinnipiac, 2-1, on Friday, Oct. 6 in Providence, R.I. The win was critical for the Friars as...
Field Hockey Hosts...
The Providence College field hockey team will host BIG EAST foe Quinnipiac on Friday, Oct. 6. The game is set to begin at 6:00 p.m. and will be played at...