PROVIDENCE, R.I. - The Providence College field hockey team defeated BIG EAST foe Villanova, 4-1, on Sept. 22 in Conshohocken, Pa. The victory was the third-straight for Providence as the team improved to 6-3 overall and 2-0 in the BIG EAST Conference.
Providence – 4 | Villanova - 1
Providence – 6-3 (2-0 BIG EAST) | Villanova 2-7 (0-2 BIG EAST)
Villanova Field Hockey Field | Conshohocken, Pa.
GAME FLOW & NOTES
- The Friars held a 9-8 advantage in shots during the first half, including a 7-4 edge in shots on goal.
- The goalkeepers were active for both squads as Providence’s Megan Guilbert made four first-half saves and Erika Miller collected six saves in the opening 35 minutes for Villanova.
- Junior Natalie Mitchell gave the Friars a 1-0 lead 19-25 into the first half as she tallied her third goal of the season. Senior Allie Lancaster fed Mitchell the ball on the left side of the circle and she one-timed it past the goalkeeper.
- At 46:47, Villanova was awarded a penalty corner, but Ana Sherwood’s direct shot on goal was whistled high as it sailed into the net, and Providence regained possession.
- Providence would eventually get back on the board to make it a 3-0 lead as Lancaster found the back of the cage as she tipped in a ball fed into the circle by Abby Thornton during a penalty corner.
- Villanova earned another corner as regulation expired (its seventh of the game). The Wildcat’s initial shot by Francesca Bello was blocked, but Suzie Clark kept with the play and found the back of the net for a 4-1 final.
- Lancaster’s three points on the night (one goal; one assist) marked a single-game career high.
- Tonight’s victory marked the Friars’ third-straight, and in each of those victories, Providence has scored four-or-more goals. During the three-game win streak, Providence has recorded a total of 13 goals.
- The Friars out-shot the Wildcats, 20-14, including a 18-7 advantage in shots on goal.
- Guilbert finished the night with six saves, while Miller collected 12 saves for ‘Nova and two of her teammates came up with a pair of defensive saves.
19:25 – PC: Natalie Mitchell (Allie Lancaster) – one-timed shot from left side of circle
42:13 – PC: Mikayla Michals (Olivia Ward) – fed ball into circle from top right as Michals rushed the goalkeeper
59:10 – PC: Allie Lancaster (Abby Thornton) – tip in off direct shot on penalty corner
63:26 – PC: Olivia Ward (unassisted) – carried into circle; dribbled right and shot ball to far post
70:00 – VU: Suzie Clark (Riley Dolan) – scrum in front of cage
VILLANOVA GAME HIGHS
Points: Suzie Clark (2)
Goals: Suzie Clark (1)
Assists: Riley Dolan (1)
Shots: 2 players w/ 3
Providence College will return to action on Friday, Sept. 29 against top-ranked Connecticut in BIG EAST Conference action. The game is scheduled to begin at 6:00 p.m. in Storrs, Conn. Providence will return home to Lennon Family Field for a non-conference match against Fairfield on Sunday, Oct. 1 at 1:00 p.m.
- GO FRIARS! -
Official StoreOfficial Online
Field Hockey Prepares For...
The BIG EAST Field Hockey Championship, presented by Jeep, will be hosted by Providence College. All three games of the tournament will be played at Lennon...
Four Field Hockey Players...
The BIG EAST Conference released its All-BIG EAST selections and major post-season awards for field hockey on Thursday, Nov. 2. Providence College was well-...
Field Hockey Defeats Non-Con...
The Providence College field hockey team defeated non-conference foe Penn on senior day, 1-0, at Lennon Family Field in Providence, R.I. Providence...
Field Hockey Falls To Old...
The Providence College field hockey team fell to Old Dominion, 2-0, in the BIG EAST regular-season finale on Friday, Oct. 27 in Providence, R.I. The Friars ...
Field Hockey Hosts Old...
The Providence College field hockey team will conclude its regular-season schedule with a pair of home games against BIG EAST foe Old Dominion and non-confer...
Tickets On Sale For 2017 BIG...
Tickets are currently on sale for the 2017 BIG EAST Field Hockey Championship, presented by Jeep. The championship, which will feature the top four teams in...
Field Hockey Drops 3-0...
The Providence College field hockey team fell to BIG EAST foe Liberty, 3-0, on Oct. 20 in Lynchburg, Va. Providence fell to 10-6 overall and 4-2 in...
Field Hockey Prepares For...
The Providence College field hockey team will take on BIG EAST foe Liberty at 3:00 p.m. on Friday, Oct. 20 in Lynchburg, Va. The game will be broadcast live ...