PROVIDENCE, R.I. - The Providence College field hockey team defeated BIG EAST foe Villanova, 4-1, on Sept. 22 in Conshohocken, Pa. The victory was the third-straight for Providence as the team improved to 6-3 overall and 2-0 in the BIG EAST Conference.
Providence – 4 | Villanova - 1
Providence – 6-3 (2-0 BIG EAST) | Villanova 2-7 (0-2 BIG EAST)
Villanova Field Hockey Field | Conshohocken, Pa.
GAME FLOW & NOTES
- The Friars held a 9-8 advantage in shots during the first half, including a 7-4 edge in shots on goal.
- The goalkeepers were active for both squads as Providence’s Megan Guilbert made four first-half saves and Erika Miller collected six saves in the opening 35 minutes for Villanova.
- Junior Natalie Mitchell gave the Friars a 1-0 lead 19-25 into the first half as she tallied her third goal of the season. Senior Allie Lancaster fed Mitchell the ball on the left side of the circle and she one-timed it past the goalkeeper.
- At 46:47, Villanova was awarded a penalty corner, but Ana Sherwood’s direct shot on goal was whistled high as it sailed into the net, and Providence regained possession.
- Providence would eventually get back on the board to make it a 3-0 lead as Lancaster found the back of the cage as she tipped in a ball fed into the circle by Abby Thornton during a penalty corner.
- Villanova earned another corner as regulation expired (its seventh of the game). The Wildcat’s initial shot by Francesca Bello was blocked, but Suzie Clark kept with the play and found the back of the net for a 4-1 final.
- Lancaster’s three points on the night (one goal; one assist) marked a single-game career high.
- Tonight’s victory marked the Friars’ third-straight, and in each of those victories, Providence has scored four-or-more goals. During the three-game win streak, Providence has recorded a total of 13 goals.
- The Friars out-shot the Wildcats, 20-14, including a 18-7 advantage in shots on goal.
- Guilbert finished the night with six saves, while Miller collected 12 saves for ‘Nova and two of her teammates came up with a pair of defensive saves.
19:25 – PC: Natalie Mitchell (Allie Lancaster) – one-timed shot from left side of circle
42:13 – PC: Mikayla Michals (Olivia Ward) – fed ball into circle from top right as Michals rushed the goalkeeper
59:10 – PC: Allie Lancaster (Abby Thornton) – tip in off direct shot on penalty corner
63:26 – PC: Olivia Ward (unassisted) – carried into circle; dribbled right and shot ball to far post
70:00 – VU: Suzie Clark (Riley Dolan) – scrum in front of cage
VILLANOVA GAME HIGHS
Points: Suzie Clark (2)
Goals: Suzie Clark (1)
Assists: Riley Dolan (1)
Shots: 2 players w/ 3
Providence College will return to action on Friday, Sept. 29 against top-ranked Connecticut in BIG EAST Conference action. The game is scheduled to begin at 6:00 p.m. in Storrs, Conn. Providence will return home to Lennon Family Field for a non-conference match against Fairfield on Sunday, Oct. 1 at 1:00 p.m.
- GO FRIARS! -
Official StoreOfficial Online
Field Hockey Defeats...
The Providence College field hockey team improved to 10-5 overall on the season with a 3-1 victory over Dartmouth on Oct. 15 in Hanover, N.H. Sophomore...
Field Hockey Tops Georgetown...
The Providence College field hockey team defeated Georgetown, 4-3, in BIG EAST action on Friday, Oct. 13 in Providence, R.I. The Friars improved to 9-5...
Providence College Athletic ...
Providence College’s campus landscape changed significantly with the construction of the Friar Field Hockey & Lacrosse Complex in 2005. It was one of ...
Field Hockey Set To Host BIG...
The Providence College field hockey team will host BIG EAST foe Georgetown on Friday, Oct. 13 at Lennon Family Field in Providence R.I. The match is...
Mikayla Michals Named To BIG...
Providence College sophomore forward Mikayla Michals (Needham, Mass.) was named to the BIG EAST Weekly Honor Roll for field hockey on Monday, Oct. 9. It...
Field Hockey Drops Hard-Foug...
The Providence College field hockey team fell to non-conference opponent UMass, 1-0, on Sunday, Oct. 8 at Lennon Family Field in Providence, R.I. Despite...
Field Hockey Defeats...
The Providence College field hockey team defeated BIG EAST foe Quinnipiac, 2-1, on Friday, Oct. 6 in Providence, R.I. The win was critical for the Friars as...
Field Hockey Hosts...
The Providence College field hockey team will host BIG EAST foe Quinnipiac on Friday, Oct. 6. The game is set to begin at 6:00 p.m. and will be played at...