PROVIDENCE, R.I. - The Providence College field hockey team defeated UC Davis, 5-2, in non-conference action on Sunday, Sept. 1. The Friars captured two wins during the weekend and scored a total of nine goals. On Sunday, freshman Manon van Weezel paced the Friars' effort with two goals, marking the first goals of her collegiate career.
Providence - 5 | UC Davis - 2
Providence - 5-3 | UC Davis - 1-7
Lennon Family Field - Providence, R.I.
GAME FLOW & NOTES
- The Friars opened up a 2-0 lead in the first half within the first 24 minutes of play.
- Freshman Manon van Weezel scored her first career goal to get the action started at 8:37, as she connected on a penalty corner. Mary O'Reilly and Natalie Mitchell were credited with assists.
- Mikayla Michals converted the Friars' second goal as she slipped the ball by the goalkeeper at point-blank-range. Izzy Mendez picked up the assist as she fed the ball from the right post.
- UC Davis cut the deficit to one goal (3-2) at 55:49 in the second half, but the Friars out-scored the Aggies 3-1 down the stretch.
- Mendez and van Weezel picked up back-to-back goals at 59:28 and 62:07 to make the score 4-1.
- UC Davis stopped the Friars' scoring streak with a goal at 67:05 to get back within two (4-2).
- The Friars added another goal on a penalty corner as time expired. Mary O'Reilly was the beneficiary as she collected a rebound off an initial shot and put it in the cage at the left post.
- Providence out-shot the Aggies, 13-9, including a 10-7 advantage in shots on goal.
- UC Davis held the edge in penalty corners, 9-8.
- Megan Guilbert picked up the win in goal for Providence with five saves.
8:37 - PC: Manon van Weezel (Mary O'Reilly/Natalie Mitchell) - direct shot off corner
23:40 - PC: Mikayla Michals (Izzy Mendez) - one-timed a feed at point-blank-range
55:49 - UCD: Kate Young (Kim van der Meulen/Nica Taglieri) - direct shot off corner
59:28 - PC: Izzy Mendez (Mikayla Michals) - pass from top right of circle; deflection at right post
62:07 - PC: Manon van Weezel (unassisted) - eliminated several defenders; fired shot low right
67:05 - UCD: Kim van der Meulen (unassisted) - off rebound
70:00 - PC: Mary O'Reilly (unassisted) - off rebound
UC DAVIS GAME HIGHS
Points: Kim van der Meulen (3)
Goals: 2 players w/ 2
Assists: 2 players w/ 2
Shots: Kate Young (4)
Providence will return to action on Friday, Sept. 22 against BIG EAST foe Villanova. The game will be played in Villanova, Pa. and is scheduled to begin at 7:00 p.m.
- GO FRIARS! -
Official StoreOfficial Online
Field Hockey Falls To Top-Ra...
The Providence College field hockey team fell to top-seeded and No. 1-ranked Connecticut, 3-0, on Nov. 3 in the BIG EAST Conference Semifinals in Providence,...
BIG EAST Field Hockey...
On Thursday, Nov. 2, the four teams who qualified for the 2017 BIG EAST Field Hockey Championship, presented by Jeep, held practices at Lennon Family Field...
Field Hockey Prepares For...
The BIG EAST Field Hockey Championship, presented by Jeep, will be hosted by Providence College. All three games of the tournament will be played at Lennon...
Four Field Hockey Players...
The BIG EAST Conference released its All-BIG EAST selections and major post-season awards for field hockey on Thursday, Nov. 2. Providence College was well-...
Field Hockey Defeats Non-Con...
The Providence College field hockey team defeated non-conference foe Penn on senior day, 1-0, at Lennon Family Field in Providence, R.I. Providence...
Field Hockey Falls To Old...
The Providence College field hockey team fell to Old Dominion, 2-0, in the BIG EAST regular-season finale on Friday, Oct. 27 in Providence, R.I. The Friars ...
Field Hockey Hosts Old...
The Providence College field hockey team will conclude its regular-season schedule with a pair of home games against BIG EAST foe Old Dominion and non-confer...
Tickets On Sale For 2017 BIG...
Tickets are currently on sale for the 2017 BIG EAST Field Hockey Championship, presented by Jeep. The championship, which will feature the top four teams in...