PROVIDENCE, R.I. - The Providence College field hockey team defeated UC Davis, 5-2, in non-conference action on Sunday, Sept. 1. The Friars captured two wins during the weekend and scored a total of nine goals. On Sunday, freshman Manon van Weezel paced the Friars' effort with two goals, marking the first goals of her collegiate career.
Providence - 5 | UC Davis - 2
Providence - 5-3 | UC Davis - 1-7
Lennon Family Field - Providence, R.I.
GAME FLOW & NOTES
- The Friars opened up a 2-0 lead in the first half within the first 24 minutes of play.
- Freshman Manon van Weezel scored her first career goal to get the action started at 8:37, as she connected on a penalty corner. Mary O'Reilly and Natalie Mitchell were credited with assists.
- Mikayla Michals converted the Friars' second goal as she slipped the ball by the goalkeeper at point-blank-range. Izzy Mendez picked up the assist as she fed the ball from the right post.
- UC Davis cut the deficit to one goal (3-2) at 55:49 in the second half, but the Friars out-scored the Aggies 3-1 down the stretch.
- Mendez and van Weezel picked up back-to-back goals at 59:28 and 62:07 to make the score 4-1.
- UC Davis stopped the Friars' scoring streak with a goal at 67:05 to get back within two (4-2).
- The Friars added another goal on a penalty corner as time expired. Mary O'Reilly was the beneficiary as she collected a rebound off an initial shot and put it in the cage at the left post.
- Providence out-shot the Aggies, 13-9, including a 10-7 advantage in shots on goal.
- UC Davis held the edge in penalty corners, 9-8.
- Megan Guilbert picked up the win in goal for Providence with five saves.
8:37 - PC: Manon van Weezel (Mary O'Reilly/Natalie Mitchell) - direct shot off corner
23:40 - PC: Mikayla Michals (Izzy Mendez) - one-timed a feed at point-blank-range
55:49 - UCD: Kate Young (Kim van der Meulen/Nica Taglieri) - direct shot off corner
59:28 - PC: Izzy Mendez (Mikayla Michals) - pass from top right of circle; deflection at right post
62:07 - PC: Manon van Weezel (unassisted) - eliminated several defenders; fired shot low right
67:05 - UCD: Kim van der Meulen (unassisted) - off rebound
70:00 - PC: Mary O'Reilly (unassisted) - off rebound
UC DAVIS GAME HIGHS
Points: Kim van der Meulen (3)
Goals: 2 players w/ 2
Assists: 2 players w/ 2
Shots: Kate Young (4)
Providence will return to action on Friday, Sept. 22 against BIG EAST foe Villanova. The game will be played in Villanova, Pa. and is scheduled to begin at 7:00 p.m.
- GO FRIARS! -
Official StoreOfficial Online
Field Hockey Defeats...
The Providence College field hockey team improved to 10-5 overall on the season with a 3-1 victory over Dartmouth on Oct. 15 in Hanover, N.H. Sophomore...
Field Hockey Tops Georgetown...
The Providence College field hockey team defeated Georgetown, 4-3, in BIG EAST action on Friday, Oct. 13 in Providence, R.I. The Friars improved to 9-5...
Providence College Athletic ...
Providence College’s campus landscape changed significantly with the construction of the Friar Field Hockey & Lacrosse Complex in 2005. It was one of ...
Field Hockey Set To Host BIG...
The Providence College field hockey team will host BIG EAST foe Georgetown on Friday, Oct. 13 at Lennon Family Field in Providence R.I. The match is...
Mikayla Michals Named To BIG...
Providence College sophomore forward Mikayla Michals (Needham, Mass.) was named to the BIG EAST Weekly Honor Roll for field hockey on Monday, Oct. 9. It...
Field Hockey Drops Hard-Foug...
The Providence College field hockey team fell to non-conference opponent UMass, 1-0, on Sunday, Oct. 8 at Lennon Family Field in Providence, R.I. Despite...
Field Hockey Defeats...
The Providence College field hockey team defeated BIG EAST foe Quinnipiac, 2-1, on Friday, Oct. 6 in Providence, R.I. The win was critical for the Friars as...
Field Hockey Hosts...
The Providence College field hockey team will host BIG EAST foe Quinnipiac on Friday, Oct. 6. The game is set to begin at 6:00 p.m. and will be played at...