PROVIDENCE, R.I. - The Providence College field hockey team defeated Temple, 4-2, in the 2017 BIG EAST Conference opener on Friday, Sept. 15 in Providence, R.I. The Friars trailed 2-1 at halftime, but rattled off three-unanswered goals in the second half to earn the victory. Providence improved to 4-3 overall and 1-0 in the BIG EAST. Temple dropped to 1-5 on the season (0-1 BIG EAST).
Providence - 4 | Temple - 2
Providence - 4-3 (1-0 BIG EAST) | Temple - 1-5 (0-1 BIG EAST)
Lennon Family Field - Providence, R.I.
GAME FLOW & NOTES
- The Friars took a 1-0 lead just 6:09 into the match as Allyson Parker scored her second goal of the season on a penalty corner opportunity. Mary O'Reilly and Maddie Babineau each earned assists on the play.
- Temple answered with back-to-back goals within a two minute span at 15:41 and 17:38 to give the Owls a 2-1 lead, which would hold up through the remainder of the first half.
- Providence held a 7-2 advantage in shots and a 5-2 edge in penalty corners during the first half.
- The Friars scored three-unanswered goals in the second half to take the 4-2 victory.
- Four different players recorded each of Providence's four goals on the night. It marked the most goals in a single game for the Friars this season, having previously scored three goals vs. Bryant and Brown.
- Megan Hamilton tallied her third goal of the season to tie the game, 3-3, at 36:42. Manon van Weezel sent a long ball into the circle from nearly 40-yards out. Hamilton was alone in the middle of the circle and got a touch on the ball to register the goal.
- Izzy Mendez tallied her first career goal to give Providence a 3-2 lead at 52:59 as she deflected a feed from Babineau. It marked Babineau's second assist of the game.
- Babineau added an insurance goal a little over three minutes later as she drilled home a back-handed effort at the left post. Mikayla Michals was credited with the assist as she crossed the ball from the right side of the cage.
- The Friars finished the game with a 12-6 advantage in shots and 6-5 edge in penalty corners.
16:09 - PC: Allyson Parker (Mary O'Reilly/Maddie Babineau) - direct shot off corner
15:41 - TU: Maiyah Brown (Rachael Mueller) - feed from right; turned and took high shot into cage 17:38 - TU: Kathryn Edgar (Maddie Merton/Rachael Mueller) - direct shot off corner 36:42 - PC: Megan Hamilton (Manon van Weezel) - tip-in from middle of circle off long ball 52:59 - PC: Izzy Mendez (Maddie Babineau) - deflection off feed into circle from 20 yards out 55:21 - PC: Maddie Babineau (Mikayla Michals) - back-handed effort at left post; cross from right
TEMPLE GAME HIGHS
Points: 3 players w/ 2
Goals: 2 players w/ 1
Assists: Rachael Mueller (2)
Shots: 2 players w/ 2
Providence will return to action on Sunday, Sept. 17 against non-conference opponent UC Davis. The game is scheduled to begin at 11:00 a.m. and will be played at Lennon Family Field in Providence, R.I.
- GO FRIARS! -
Official StoreOfficial Online
Field Hockey Defeats...
The Providence College field hockey team improved to 10-5 overall on the season with a 3-1 victory over Dartmouth on Oct. 15 in Hanover, N.H. Sophomore...
Field Hockey Tops Georgetown...
The Providence College field hockey team defeated Georgetown, 4-3, in BIG EAST action on Friday, Oct. 13 in Providence, R.I. The Friars improved to 9-5...
Providence College Athletic ...
Providence College’s campus landscape changed significantly with the construction of the Friar Field Hockey & Lacrosse Complex in 2005. It was one of ...
Field Hockey Set To Host BIG...
The Providence College field hockey team will host BIG EAST foe Georgetown on Friday, Oct. 13 at Lennon Family Field in Providence R.I. The match is...
Mikayla Michals Named To BIG...
Providence College sophomore forward Mikayla Michals (Needham, Mass.) was named to the BIG EAST Weekly Honor Roll for field hockey on Monday, Oct. 9. It...
Field Hockey Drops Hard-Foug...
The Providence College field hockey team fell to non-conference opponent UMass, 1-0, on Sunday, Oct. 8 at Lennon Family Field in Providence, R.I. Despite...
Field Hockey Defeats...
The Providence College field hockey team defeated BIG EAST foe Quinnipiac, 2-1, on Friday, Oct. 6 in Providence, R.I. The win was critical for the Friars as...
Field Hockey Hosts...
The Providence College field hockey team will host BIG EAST foe Quinnipiac on Friday, Oct. 6. The game is set to begin at 6:00 p.m. and will be played at...