PROVIDENCE, R.I. - The Providence College field hockey team defeated Temple, 4-2, in the 2017 BIG EAST Conference opener on Friday, Sept. 15 in Providence, R.I. The Friars trailed 2-1 at halftime, but rattled off three-unanswered goals in the second half to earn the victory. Providence improved to 4-3 overall and 1-0 in the BIG EAST. Temple dropped to 1-5 on the season (0-1 BIG EAST).
Providence - 4 | Temple - 2
Providence - 4-3 (1-0 BIG EAST) | Temple - 1-5 (0-1 BIG EAST)
Lennon Family Field - Providence, R.I.
GAME FLOW & NOTES
- The Friars took a 1-0 lead just 6:09 into the match as Allyson Parker scored her second goal of the season on a penalty corner opportunity. Mary O'Reilly and Maddie Babineau each earned assists on the play.
- Temple answered with back-to-back goals within a two minute span at 15:41 and 17:38 to give the Owls a 2-1 lead, which would hold up through the remainder of the first half.
- Providence held a 7-2 advantage in shots and a 5-2 edge in penalty corners during the first half.
- The Friars scored three-unanswered goals in the second half to take the 4-2 victory.
- Four different players recorded each of Providence's four goals on the night. It marked the most goals in a single game for the Friars this season, having previously scored three goals vs. Bryant and Brown.
- Megan Hamilton tallied her third goal of the season to tie the game, 3-3, at 36:42. Manon van Weezel sent a long ball into the circle from nearly 40-yards out. Hamilton was alone in the middle of the circle and got a touch on the ball to register the goal.
- Izzy Mendez tallied her first career goal to give Providence a 3-2 lead at 52:59 as she deflected a feed from Babineau. It marked Babineau's second assist of the game.
- Babineau added an insurance goal a little over three minutes later as she drilled home a back-handed effort at the left post. Mikayla Michals was credited with the assist as she crossed the ball from the right side of the cage.
- The Friars finished the game with a 12-6 advantage in shots and 6-5 edge in penalty corners.
16:09 - PC: Allyson Parker (Mary O'Reilly/Maddie Babineau) - direct shot off corner
15:41 - TU: Maiyah Brown (Rachael Mueller) - feed from right; turned and took high shot into cage 17:38 - TU: Kathryn Edgar (Maddie Merton/Rachael Mueller) - direct shot off corner 36:42 - PC: Megan Hamilton (Manon van Weezel) - tip-in from middle of circle off long ball 52:59 - PC: Izzy Mendez (Maddie Babineau) - deflection off feed into circle from 20 yards out 55:21 - PC: Maddie Babineau (Mikayla Michals) - back-handed effort at left post; cross from right
TEMPLE GAME HIGHS
Points: 3 players w/ 2
Goals: 2 players w/ 1
Assists: Rachael Mueller (2)
Shots: 2 players w/ 2
Providence will return to action on Sunday, Sept. 17 against non-conference opponent UC Davis. The game is scheduled to begin at 11:00 a.m. and will be played at Lennon Family Field in Providence, R.I.
- GO FRIARS! -
Official StoreOfficial Online
Field Hockey Prepares For...
The BIG EAST Field Hockey Championship, presented by Jeep, will be hosted by Providence College. All three games of the tournament will be played at Lennon...
Four Field Hockey Players...
The BIG EAST Conference released its All-BIG EAST selections and major post-season awards for field hockey on Thursday, Nov. 2. Providence College was well-...
Field Hockey Defeats Non-Con...
The Providence College field hockey team defeated non-conference foe Penn on senior day, 1-0, at Lennon Family Field in Providence, R.I. Providence...
Field Hockey Falls To Old...
The Providence College field hockey team fell to Old Dominion, 2-0, in the BIG EAST regular-season finale on Friday, Oct. 27 in Providence, R.I. The Friars ...
Field Hockey Hosts Old...
The Providence College field hockey team will conclude its regular-season schedule with a pair of home games against BIG EAST foe Old Dominion and non-confer...
Tickets On Sale For 2017 BIG...
Tickets are currently on sale for the 2017 BIG EAST Field Hockey Championship, presented by Jeep. The championship, which will feature the top four teams in...
Field Hockey Drops 3-0...
The Providence College field hockey team fell to BIG EAST foe Liberty, 3-0, on Oct. 20 in Lynchburg, Va. Providence fell to 10-6 overall and 4-2 in...
Field Hockey Prepares For...
The Providence College field hockey team will take on BIG EAST foe Liberty at 3:00 p.m. on Friday, Oct. 20 in Lynchburg, Va. The game will be broadcast live ...