PROVIDENCE, R.I. - The Providence College field hockey team fell to No. 8 Boston College, 4-0, on Sept. 10 in Newton, Mass. The Friars trailed 1-0 at halftime, but the Eagles ignited for three, second-half goals. Senior goalkeeper Megan Guilbert (Morganville, N.J.) recorded a career-high 14 saves in the cage for Providence, who evened their record at 3-3. Boston College improved to 5-1 with the victory.
Providence - 0 | #8 Boston College - 4
Providence - 3-3 | #8 Boston College - 5-1
Field Hockey Complex | Newton, Mass.
GAME FLOW & NOTES
- Boston College got on the scoreboard first at 18:24 as Elizabeth Warner found the back of the cage for the Eagles.
- Providence goalkeeper Megan Guilbert made a diving save on a penalty stroke opportunity at 21:17 to keep the Friars within a goal (1-0).
- The Friars hit the right post on a 3 vs 2 breakaway that would have tied the game, 1-1, at 25:18.
- Boston College opened the scoring in the second half at 44:16 to take a 2-0 lead as Cassidy Atchison collected a rebound off of an initial shot and scored, unassisted.
- Sylvia Miller had a dangerous look at the cage at 53:46, but her attempt was saved by the BC goalkeeper. Boston College quickly gained possession and capitalized offensively for a 3-0 lead on the other end.
- The Eagles tacked on another goal at 64:28 to make it a 4-0 final.
- Guilbert finished the game with a career-high 14 saves; collecting seven saves in each half.
- Boston College held a 29-6 advantage in shots on goal and a 8-3 edge in penalty corners.
- Providence moved to 3-3 overall on the season and hold a 1-2 record vs. nationally-ranked opponents.
HOW THEY SCORED
18:24 - BC: Elizabeth Warner (unassisted)
44:16 - BC: Cassidy Atchison (unassisted) - off rebound
54:35 - BC: Brooke Matherson (Caroline McGovern) - pass from top of circle; shot from left side
64:28 - BC: Elizabeth Warner (Fusine Govaert) - Tip-in
PROVIDENCE GAME HIGHS
Shots: 2 players w/ 1
BOSTON COLLEGE GAME HIGHS
Points: Elizabeth Warner (4)
Goals: Elizabeth Warner (2)
Assists: 2 players w/ 1
Shots: Fusine Govaert (5)
Providence College will return home to Lennon Family Field in Providence, R.I. for a pair of games next weekend. The Friars open BIG EAST Conference play against Temple on Friday, Sept. 15 at 6:00 p.m. Providence will then host UC Davis in non-conference action on Sunday, Sept. 17 at 11:00 a.m. Both games will be streamed on Friars All-Access via the College's athletic website (Friars.com).
- GO FRIARS! -
Official StoreOfficial Online
Field Hockey Defeats Non-Con...
The Providence College field hockey team defeated non-conference foe Penn on senior day, 1-0, at Lennon Family Field in Providence, R.I. Providence...
Field Hockey Falls To Old...
The Providence College field hockey team fell to Old Dominion, 2-0, in the BIG EAST regular-season finale on Friday, Oct. 27 in Providence, R.I. The Friars ...
Field Hockey Hosts Old...
The Providence College field hockey team will conclude its regular-season schedule with a pair of home games against BIG EAST foe Old Dominion and non-confer...
Tickets On Sale For 2017 BIG...
Tickets are currently on sale for the 2017 BIG EAST Field Hockey Championship, presented by Jeep. The championship, which will feature the top four teams in...
Field Hockey Drops 3-0...
The Providence College field hockey team fell to BIG EAST foe Liberty, 3-0, on Oct. 20 in Lynchburg, Va. Providence fell to 10-6 overall and 4-2 in...
Field Hockey Prepares For...
The Providence College field hockey team will take on BIG EAST foe Liberty at 3:00 p.m. on Friday, Oct. 20 in Lynchburg, Va. The game will be broadcast live ...
Megan Guilbert To Play In...
Providence College senior field hockey goalkeeper Megan Guilbert (Morganville, N.J.) was selected to play in the 2017 Victory Sports Tours/NFHCA Division I...
Mary O'Reilly And Manon Van ...
Providence College field hockey was well-represented among the list of BIG EAST weekly award winners on Monday, Oct. 16. Sophomore midfielder Mary O’R...