PROVIDENCE, R.I. - The Providence College field hockey team defeated cross-city rival Brown University, 3-2, on Saturday, Sept. 2 at Lennon Family Field in Providence, R.I. Senior Megan Hamilton (Warrington, Pa.) tallied two first-half goals in the victory, and junior Natalie Mitchell (East Norriton, Pa.) tacked on what proved to be the game winner in the second half.
Providence -- 3 | Brown -- 2
Providence -- 2-1 | Brown -- 0-2
Lennon Family Field -- Providence, R.I.
GAME FLOW & NOTES.
- The Friars took a 2-0 lead into halftime as Megan Hamilton (Warrington, Pa.) notched two goals for the Friars. Both of Hamilton's goals came off of penalty corner opportunities. Freshman Manon van Weezel (Waalre, Holland) and junior Corinne Kenney (Warrington, Pa.) were credited with assists.
- Providence held a 5-2 advantage in shots during the first half and a 3-0 edge in penalty corners. - Natalie Mitchell (East Norriton, Pa.) gave Providence a 3-0 lead at 43:29 after tipping in a cross from freshman Olivia Ward (Havelock, New Zealand).
- Brown finished the match with two unanswered goals, both of which came off of penalty corners. The second goal was scored with no time remaining on the clock, as Brown registered back-to-back corners to close the match.
- Providence held a 9-7 advantage in shots and a 5-4 edge in corners overall in the game.
- Senior goalkeeper Megan Guilbert (Morganville, N.J.) registered two saves for Providence in goal. - Katie Hammaker collected four saves in goal for Brown.
WHEN THEY SCORED
19:21 -- PC: Megan Hamilton (Manon van Weezel)
28:02 -- PC: Megan Hamilton (Corinne Kenney)
43:29 -- PC: Natalie Mitchell (Olivia Ward)
45:24 -- BROWN: Kelly Conway (Corinne Condie; Gina Openshaw)
70:00 -- BROWN: Anagha Nayak (unassisted)
BROWN GAME HIGHS
Points: 2 players w/ 2
Goals: 2 players w/ 2
Assists: 2 players w/ 1
Shots: 2 players w/ 2
Providence returns to action on Sunday, Sept. 3 against Bryant University in a neutral-site match, held at Brown University (Goldberger Field). That game is scheduled to begin at 1:00 p.m.
- GO FRIARS -
Official StoreOfficial Online
Maddie Babineau Named To...
Providence College freshman field hockey player Maddie Babineau (Milton, Ontario) has been named to Canada’s Phase-1 Women’s Indoor National...
Manon van Weezel Earns...
Providence College freshman field hockey player Manon van Weezel (Waalre, Holland) has been named to the 2017 Longstreth/NFHCA Division I All-America Third...
Three Friars Earn All-Northe...
Three Providence College field hockey players were recognized as Longstreth/NFHCA Division I All-Region selections. The National Field Hockey Coaches’...
Field Hockey Falls To Top-Ra...
The Providence College field hockey team fell to top-seeded and No. 1-ranked Connecticut, 3-0, on Nov. 3 in the BIG EAST Conference Semifinals in Providence,...
BIG EAST Field Hockey...
On Thursday, Nov. 2, the four teams who qualified for the 2017 BIG EAST Field Hockey Championship, presented by Jeep, held practices at Lennon Family Field...
Field Hockey Prepares For...
The BIG EAST Field Hockey Championship, presented by Jeep, will be hosted by Providence College. All three games of the tournament will be played at Lennon...
Four Field Hockey Players...
The BIG EAST Conference released its All-BIG EAST selections and major post-season awards for field hockey on Thursday, Nov. 2. Providence College was well-...
Field Hockey Defeats Non-Con...
The Providence College field hockey team defeated non-conference foe Penn on senior day, 1-0, at Lennon Family Field in Providence, R.I. Providence...