Nov. 2, 2013
SOMERS, Wis. - The 19th-ranked Providence College men's cross country team finished second at the BIG EAST Championships today (Nov. 2) in Somers, Wis. at the Dannehl National Cross Country Course. The Friars finished the race with three top-10 runners.
Junior Brian Doyle (Swansea, Mass.) was Providence's top finisher and he placed third overall. Doyle ran the 8k race in a time of 24:15 for his first top finish for Providence. Doyle was followed by classmate Benjamin Connor (Derby, England), who finished fifth overall with a time of 24:17. Graduate student Julian Saad(Trumbull, Conn.) was the third Friar to cross the finish line. Saad earned a 10th-place finish with a time of 24:30.
Junior Shane Quinn (Waterford, Ireland) was the fourth Friar to score for Providence. Quinn finished the race in a time of 24:35 to earn a 12th. Sophomore Harvey Dixon(Aldershot, England) was the final Friar to score. Dixon claimed a 19th-place finish with a time of 25:01.
The sixth and seventh Friars to finish were junior Liam Hillery (Smithfield, R.I.) and freshman Trevor Crawley(Cumberland, R.I.). Hillery ran the race in 25:36 for a 27th-place finish, while Crawley finished 28th in a time of 25:43.
The final Friars to race were sophomores Julian Oakley (Tauranga, New Zealand) and Christian Costello(Ridgewood, N.J.). Oakley finished 33rd with a time of 25:48, while Costello was 35th in a time of 26:01.
The Friars second place finish marks the 21st time Providence has claimed second or better at the BIG EAST Championships. Four Providence runners will come away with All-BIG EAST Honors, including Doyle, Connor, Saad and Quinn.
Providence has claimed third place or better in five of the seven races thus far on the season. The Friars will next compete at the NCAA Northeast Regional Championships as the team will look to get a bid for the NCAA Championships in Terre Haute, Ind.
The regional championships will take place in Bronx, N.Y. at the Van Cortlandt Park Course. The race will kickoff at 11:00 a.m. on Friday, Nov. 15.Men's Team Results
Men's Team Results
1. Villanova - 36
2. Providence - 49
3. Butler - 61
4. Georgetown - 76
5. Marquette - 151
6. Xavier - 215
7. Creighton - 224
8. DePaul - 225
9. Seton Hall - 253
1. Patrick Tiernan, Fr., Villanova - 23:51
2. Tom Curr, So., Butler - 24:03
3. Brian Doyle, Jr., Providence - 24:15
4. Sam McEntee, Jr,. Villanova - 24:17
5. Benjamin Connor, Jr., Providence - 24:17
6. Robert Denault, So., Villanova - 24:18
7. Erik Peterson, So., Butler - 24:21
8. Andrew Springer, Sr., Goergetown - 24:22
9. Tom Anderson, Sr., Butler - 24:26
10. Julian Sadd, Sr., Providence - 24:30
11. Jordan Williamsz, So., Villanova - 24:34
12. Shane Quinn, Jr., Providence - 24:35
13. Brian King, Jr., Georgetown - 24:37
14. Brian Basili, Jr., Villanova - 24:41
15. Alex Tully, Sr., Villanova - 24:48