Justin Kahle

Sept. 27, 2011

The past few weeks have been good overall for the Friars. A lot has happened since my last post. The Friars took on a feisty Sacred Heart side at home on September 10th. It was a hard fought game that the Friars were able to win 1-0 on a game-winner from Wilder Arboleda. Three days later the Friars battled Holy Cross, once again on Glay Field. Two goals from Keith Jecewiz were the difference in this one. He scored his first with his head, off a driven cross from Matt Pesci. His second goal came with two minutes left in the game a half-field breakaway that he calmly placed into the side netting to seal a Friar victory.

The team then traveled to No. 3 Creighton (Omaha, Neb.) for a Saturday night matchup with a highly regarded Creighton University team that to this day has yet to give up a goal. Unfortunately, I was unable to travel to watch this game. A goal in the third and 12th minute from Creighton forced the Friars to chase the game and they were unable to break through. It ended 3-0.

That game was quickly put behind the Friars, as their Big East schedule opened with Homecoming weekend on the following Saturday versus an up and down Cincinnati team. Every Big East game is a battle. No team is a walkover and the Friars came into this game ready to make sure that this game was the start of a new winning streak and not an addition to a losing one. It was a soft pitch, but the Friars maintained most of the possession throughout the game and were in control. The game remained deadlocked for the first half. Sixteen minutes into the second half a ball was slipped across the box to Jimmy Petruccelli who drove a left-footed volley off the head of a diving Marcos Ugarte to put the home team up 1-0. Less than three minutes later, Ugarte struck again when David Datilus whipped a low cross in that Ugarte was able to lunge at and redirect into the back of the net. This put the Friars up 2-0 and the defense was able to hold strong and keep the clean sheet.



The rest of the homecoming weekend was great. Many alumni made it back for the event and participated in a golf outing at Cranston Country Club on Sunday. The rain held off and made for a great day of golf and celebration of what Providence College Men's Soccer has become and that it will continue to grow. Knowing that these former Friars are still involved with the program is a great boost for any player and it is fantastic to see. The next game for the Friars is down in Tampa, Fla. where they will take on the University of South Florida in their second Big East matchup of the year. Game time is 7:30pm on Saturday night. This will be an early Big East test for the Friars. I'm sure they'll be up for it.
Official Store
Official Online
Tickets Here



Follow us!

Friar Athletics
Social Media