Kahle's Blog

Sept. 13, 2010

Director of Soccer Operations Justin Kahle gives you an inside look into the Providence men's soccer team. Kahle, who graduated in 2010, was a four-year starter on the Providence men's soccer team and played in every minute of every game at Providence.

Entry 2

The Friars continued their positive start to the season by taking the championship trophy at the first ever Ocean State Classic. The final was held at Stevenson Field versus the Bears of Brown University, which gave them a slight edge in fan support. It was nothing the Friars couldn't overcome. The first half went well for the Friars as they controlled most of the play and looked to be the better side. High quality scoring chances were scarce for both teams but Providence had more of the ball and had better movement going forward. The second half was more evenly played, mainly because of the tiring bodies on the pitch. It is not easy to play two games at a high level on less than three days rest, something that both teams were working to do. The overtime periods provided much of the same and after a 0-0 full time score, the championship was decided by penalties. The game was recorded as a tie but the tournament needed a winner. The Friars' goalkeeper, Jhojan Obando made a crucial save on Brown's second penalty and that was more than enough for Providence to take home the trophy. They converted all five penalties, ending with a dramatic fifth conversion from Wilder Arboleda that just snuck inside the left post to clinch the championship.

On Wednesday, the Friars traveled to Michigan State University for an early evening match versus the Spartans. Unfortunately, the game did not turn out in Providence's favor as they lost 4-0. However, the scoreline is a bit misleading. After watching the game, it was easy for me to see that Providence had most of the ball and were in control for the majority of the game. They were unlucky to concede an own goal twenty minutes into the game. Another goal against the run of play, followed by a Providence red card in the 43rd minute, closed out the half. The Friars battled hard with ten men throughout the second half but were unable to get themselves back into the game.



Hopefully, the Friars will learn from this game and use the experience as motivation in upcoming matches. Providence plays Sacred Heart this Wednesday at Glay Field which will be an opportunity for the Friars to put in a great performance and return to their winning ways. I have no doubt that the Friars will find their form and find a way to get a positive result!

Official Store
Official Online
Tickets Here



Follow us!

Friar Athletics
Social Media