Men's Soccer Advances To BIG EAST Semifinals With 1-0 Overtime Upset Win At No. 8 Connecticut

Nov. 7, 2009

Box Score

STORRS, Conn. - Junior Matt Marcin (Wilmington, Del.) scored with 2:06 left in overtime to lead the Providence College men's soccer team past the University of Connecticut, 1-0, in a BIG EAST Quarterfinal match played at Morrone Stadium in Storrs, Conn. Providence (10-6-3) advances to the BIG EAST Semifinals where it will play St. John's on Friday, November 13 at 3:00 p.m. in Morgantown, W. Va. Connecticut (11-4-3) will wait for an NCAA Tournament at-large bid. It will mark PC's first appearance in the semifinals since 2006. Overall, it will be PC's seventh trip to the BIG EAST semifinals.

Marcin, who also scored the game winner with 2:45 left in regulation in PC's 2-1 quarterfinal win at Villanova on Wednesday, struck again in the 98th minute. Sophomore John Raley (St. Inigoes, Md.) played cross from the left flank to Marcin, who made a run to near post. Marcin took the ball off one bounce and curled a left-footed shot to the back post past the diving UConn goalkeeper Josh Ford. For the Friars, who were defeated at UConn, 4-0, on November 6, it marks their fifth consecutive win, including four straight on the road. Three of the Friars' last four road wins have been in overtime. In addition, it marks PC's first win in Storss since 1984.

The Friars carried the play in the first 15 minutes and created a few scoring chances. In the 15th minute, junior Andrew Sousa (Fall River, Mass.) played a through ball to senior Timothy Ritter (Weston, Mass.). Ritter then went past a defender, but UConn goalkeeper Josh Ford made a diving effort to smother the ball before Ritter could get a shot off. The Huskies then began creating more scoring chances. In the 25th minute, the Friars cleared the ball after a UConn free kick, but the ball came to Jossimar Sanchez who ripped a volley from 25 yards out that missed high. Later in the 32nd minute, Sanchez had a similar effort. After a Husky long throw in from the left flank, Providence was able to clear the ball again and Sanchez was positioned 25-yards away from goal, but his shot missed wide right. The Huskies jumped out quickly in the second half as Tony Cascio fired a right-footed shot from the 20 yards out at the top left side of the box, but Friar goalkeeper Timothy Murray (Haverhill, Mass.) was well positioned at the near post and caught the ball. Shortly thereafter, Carlos Alvarez chipped a cross from the left side of the 18-yard box to the back post, but Alan Ponce's header missed wide. Providence responded in the 55th as they had a direct free kick from the left side. After the ball was played in the box, the UConn defense cleared it away, but it came right to Marcin who fired a left-footed shot from 25 yards out that missed high.



Murray was well positioned again in the 72nd minute when Mike Pezza curled a right-footed direct free kick from 25 yards out. Murray made a diving save on Pezza's attempt to keep the game scoreless. In the 74th minute was able to control ball and make a move to his left before firing a shot from 20 yards out that deflected off a defender, but Ford was there to make a diving save to his right. Pezza had another shot from 20 yards out, but Murray came through again in the 79th minute as he made a diving save. Cascio had a chance from 16 yards out, but his shot missed just wide left wide in the 82nd minute.

In overtime, Ponce set up Alvarez just inside the top of the 18-yard box, but Alvarez's shot missed high in the 95th minute. Two minutes later, Marcin put the match away with his fifth goal of the season.

Murray finished with one save to earn his ninth shutout of the season. Ford stopped five shots for UConn.

Official Store
Official Online
Tickets Here



Follow us!

Friar Athletics
Social Media