CINCINNATI, Ohio – The Providence College men’s soccer team fell to Xavier University by a score of 3-0 in the BIG EAST Quarterfinal on Nov. 4 at XU Soccer Complex.
#5 Providence – 0 | #4 Xavier – 3
Providence – 5-8-5 (2-3-5 BE) | Xavier – 11-5-2 (6-4-0 BE)
XU Soccer Complex – Cincinnati, Ohio
GAME FLOW & NOTES
- The Musketeers got on the board early with a goal in the 6th minute. Cory Brown’s ball into the box from the left flank found the head of Sergi Samson. He was able to flick it past a charging Colin Miller (Bel Air, Md.) for the 1-0 lead.
- Miller made a leaping save in the 12th minute to keep the Musketeers from doubling their lead. He made two more impressive saves, including a 1v1 sliding stop, before the midway point of the first half.
- Samson found the back of the net yet again in the 24th minute. Simen Hestnes played a free kick into the box from the left side and Samson flicked it in with his head for his ninth goal of the season.
- In the final minutes of the first half, Alex Vigliotti (Branford, Conn.) and Mac Steeves (Needham, Mass.) both had chances on goal. Vigliotti’s shot sailed just high, while Steeves’ blast just missed the far post.
- After good pressure from the Friars to open the second half, Simen Hestnes increased the Musketeers’ lead to 3-0. Jacob Goodall played a long ball over the top, which Hestnes ran onto and finished inside the far post in the 62nd minute.
- With under five minutes to play, Danny Griffin (Wethersfield, Conn.) was hauled down in the box. Steeves lined up for the penalty kick, but Colin Hanley made the diving stop.
- About a minute later, Steeves connected on header in the box that glanced off the top of the crossbar and out of play.
- The Friars held a 17-16 edge in shots, but Xavier held the 6-3 advantage in chances on goal.
HOW THEY SCORED
1-0 (Xavier) – 5:44 – Sergi Samson, assisted by Cory Brown – Cross from the left side, headed in from inside the box
2-0 (Xavier) – 23:17 – Sergi Samson, assisted by Simen Hestnes – Header in the box off a free kick
3-0 (Xavier) – 61:17 – Simen Hestnes, assisted by Jacob Goodall – Long ball over top from Goodall, finished to the far post by Hestnes
Providence: Colin Miller, 5-6-5: 3 saves, 3 goals against
Xavier: Colin Hanley, 4-1-0: 3 saves, 0 goals against
Shots on goal: 3
Corner kicks: 2
Shots on goal: 6
Corner kicks: 6
For more updates on the Providence men's soccer program, follow the team on Twitter @PCFriarsMSoccer
- GO FRIARS -
Official StoreOfficial Online
Men’s Soccer Travels...
The Providence College men’s soccer team will face Xavier University in the BIG EAST Tournament First Round on Saturday, Nov. 4. The game is set for 7:...
Colin Miller Collects Second...
It was announced today (Nov. 2) that Providence College redshirt junior Colin Miller (Bel Air, Md.) was named BIG EAST Goalkeeper of the Week for the second ...
Men's Soccer Draws In...
The Providence College men’s soccer team tied St. John’s (0-0) on Wednesday, Nov 1. in Providence, R.I.
Men’s Soccer Wraps Up ...
The Providence College men’s soccer team welcomes St. John’s for a crucial BIG EAST matchup on Senior Night. The game is set for 7:00 p.m. on Nov...
Colin Miller Named BIG EAST ...
It was announced today (Oct. 30) that Providence College redshirt junior Colin Miller (Bel Air, Md.) earned BIG EAST Goalkeeper of the Week.
Men's Soccer Picks Up 2-1...
The Providence College men’s soccer team defeated Villanova, 2-1, in BIG EAST Conference action on Saturday, Oct. 28 in Villanova, Pa.
Men's Soccer Eyes Villanova
The Providence College men’s soccer team squares off with BIG EAST foe Villanova on Saturday, Oct. 28 at 1:00 p.m. in Villanova, Pa.
Providence College Men’...
The Providence College men’s soccer team battled to a 0-0 draw at No. 10 Georgetown in a key BIG EAST matchup at Shaw Field on Wednesday afternoon.